WalMart $10 for 30# Lump

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I’m pleased enough after my first cook to buy a few more bags. I’ve been trying everything under the sun from high end Rockwood to Bodega specials. I’m not really into hoarding coals since Ozark Oak went away. But this surprised me. No offensive odor, you can tell it’s actually wood- when lit it does what lump is supposed to do. I’m sure Ill try others. I don’t think having 5 bags on hand is hoarding- specially not around here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. I've been eyeing the bags but was hesitant. I've been using Timber lump and am very happy, but it is $34 for 40 pounds if I buy by the pallet.

They're not caring that here in the FL Pan Handle, bought my first 60# of Lumber Jack Pellets yesterday from a local LJ dealer. :grin:

I bought a bag and finally got around to trying it last weekend. Really nice lump. I am going back and stocking up. :cool:

I bought 3 bags and used my first over the weekend. Surprised at the large size of some of the chunks. So far havent found anything strange, and lots of the pieces are clearly from branches.

I like!

Thanks for the heads up. Seems like they started carrying it here also. I'm gonna get some.

It is hit or miss. It burns WAY hotter than Royal oak from my observation. I found 1 really nice size rock and the bottom 1/5 of the bag was powder. Not a good first bag.

They're not caring that here in the FL Pan Handle, bought my first 60# of Lumber Jack Pellets yesterday from a local LJ dealer. :grin:

Visited a Walmart near the house none in stock. I couldn’t believe the amount and variety of pellets. I’ve not been pellitized, yet.

"I don’t think having 5 bags on hand is hoarding- specially not around here."
At one time I had over 400lbs of KBB in the garage. I have around 200lbs of charcoal right now including 4 bags of this Western. I haven't tried it yet.

Two supercenters near me both out. I’m not saying it’s the best, but it’s the best Ive bought at 30 cents per #

I’ve tried a bunch of coals, guessing some were the same companies different packages. I can deal with rocks. Insulation, tie downs, cordage things like that I will kick the brand to the curb and never return- knowingly anyway.

"I don’t think having 5 bags on hand is hoarding- specially not around here."
At one time I had over 400lbs of KBB in the garage. I have around 200lbs of charcoal right now including 4 bags of this Western. I haven't tried it yet.

I hear ya. I’m sitting on 3 unopened bags of briquettes (Kingsford Hickory) and three bags of lump. My 30-50 bag days are in the rear view. But I understand those who do.

I hear ya. I’m sitting on 3 unopened bags of briquettes (Kingsford Hickory) and three bags of lump. My 30-50 bag days are in the rear view. But I understand those who do.
There is a Home Depot and Lowes near my house and those darn KBB twin pack sales get me every summer. Hard to pass up but I'm trying to scale back.

I hope everyone buying this post up. I realize different batches will have different results. Faster slower burns, sparks no sparks, a rock or three-

Just Like Clint, the good the bad and the ugly.

I’ve used almost a whole bag of this lump and I like it. It does pop and spark quite a bit at start up but it burns hot and seems to last in the grill. Haven’t used it for a long smoke yet but so far I like it. Haven’t found anything weird in the bag yet. I’ve got two more bags and may go back for more. The Wally World by me still has 65 bags so I should be good.

I like it I'm through 3 bags now. No rocks or dead bodies. Good consistent size so far. It does spark a bit, but burn time is just as long as others I've used. I hope they keep carrying it, but I'm guessing once they are out they'll just have the RO

Bought a few bags myself.Yet to try it.I miss the days of buying Ozark Oak by the pallet for three bucks a bag at the plant at Yellville. Got about 15 bags of OO left.Holding on to it like a family heirloom.I only use it for prime rib smokes for family.

I’ve went through 3 bags and have one bag left. Planning to restock tomorrow. As it’s been pointed out it does spark a little bit, but good Lump nonetheless.

Back