My A/C Gave Out On A Record Breaking Hot Day..

May be a simple fix. The capacitor tends to go out on a lot of units these times of year. Really simple to fix. Edit””” typed without reading. Looks like you figured it out.

I’m trying to find a capacitor for my sons unit. Lowe’s, Home Depot and Ace do not carry them. Food looked great

Graingers out here is my go to place for most things like that. Ive bought Belts and motors for my rotisserie smokers, cap starts for, the pool, fan and AC motors. Great place with fair prices.

Whatever you and your brother do I need to do:thumb:

I think you should add more local brews to your Q though:icon_shy

Sako, Beautiful cook again...... You are a grillin savant.
So sad to hear about your AC. I'd move or go sit in that beautiful new truck. I am not a trooper. 117* here. WTF. Hope it gets fixed quickly!!

I’m trying to find a capacitor for my sons unit. Lowe’s, Home Depot and Ace do not carry them. Food looked great

Should be able to get one at an appliance parts or HVAC supplier. As stated, Granger is a good place. Price is around $5 - 15 wholesale around here. If they see you coming it could cost alot more. They will sell at retail price. Also, the microfarad (MFD) and voltage rating have to match. Lastly you will need a physical match to secure back into the bracket etc. On the box it will be like 5mf/370v.

Just FYI do not mean to hijack. Hope everyone gets cool soon in this weather. :thumb:

Fixed my sons AC tonight. Had to get a friend to pickup the capacitor at a wholesale store as they don’t sell to the public. Took me all of 5 minutes. Hope the OP got his fixed.

Fixed my sons AC tonight. Had to get a friend to pickup the capacitor at a wholesale store as they don’t sell to the public. Took me all of 5 minutes. Hope the OP got his fixed.

Thanks FB!! I'm waiting on the capacitor myself and that should do it. Temps have came down some so it's bearable. I should have it tomorrow or next day and will slap it on.

Sako, Beautiful cook again...... You are a grillin savant.
So sad to hear about your AC. I'd move or go sit in that beautiful new truck. I am not a trooper. 117* here. WTF. Hope it gets fixed quickly!!

Thanks Stephanie! Good to see you back and hoping you're all healed up. :thumb:

Should be able to get one at an appliance parts or HVAC supplier. As stated, Granger is a good place. Price is around $5 - 15 wholesale around here. If they see you coming it could cost alot more. They will sell at retail price. Also, the microfarad (MFD) and voltage rating have to match. Lastly you will need a physical match to secure back into the bracket etc. On the box it will be like 5mf/370v.

Just FYI do not mean to hijack. Hope everyone gets cool soon in this weather. :thumb:

Not hijacking at all Mike. Thanks for the pointers. I'm replacing it with the same exact one.

I was thinking the same thing. If the condenser is working he's in good shape. Might be the blower motor which is much cheaper than having the unit replaced.

That's the next step if it's not the capacitor. Motor's aren't too expensive either. I'm betting on the capacitor though. Everything else working fine.

From the pic you posted Brother, The Cap has definitely bloomed. To check if it's a cap problem in the future on an indoor or outdoor motor, Have someone turn it on. If the motor hums, Spin it with your finger. If it picks up speed, it's the cap' Hence the name run capacitor. :thumb:

Thanks FB!! I'm waiting on the capacitor myself and that should do it. Temps have came down some so it's bearable. I should have it tomorrow or next day and will slap it on.

Be careful handling the old capacitor when disconnecting it. They can hold a charge. Once the old one is removed. Write down or photograph the color wire location prior to removing so they go back in same location.

From the pic you posted Brother, The Cap has definitely bloomed. To check if it's a cap problem in the future on an indoor or outdoor motor, Have someone turn it on. If the motor hums, Spin it with your finger. If it picks up speed, it's the cap' Hence the name run capacitor. :thumb:

Be careful handling the old capacitor when disconnecting it. They can hold a charge. Once the old one is removed. Write down or photograph the color wire location prior to removing so they go back in same location.

Learning something new everyday. You guys are awesome. I'll be sure to report when I put on the new capacitor as soon as it arrives.

When I replaced mine about 4 years ago I put the old one on a shelf in walmart....

Now I keep a spares for the inside and outside unit

Update!!

$13.50 fixed it. Thank you all very much for the help.

1LFs5I0h.jpg

:clap2: what did it do to make you think it was the capacitor? try to start n whine or something.?

:clap2: what did it do to make you think it was the capacitor? try to start n whine or something.?

Condenser kicked on but the blower on my furnace wouldn't start so cold air wasn't distributing throughout the house. The brethren immediately pm'd and also posted on this thread. Mike (Toast) noticed the bulge on the capacitor also when I posted a pic of it.

Learn something new everyday on here. BBQ and beyond. :thumb:

Back