MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #301
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb48 View Post
Has anyone solved their flameout problem? Did reprogramming do it? I used my grill 3 times so far with 2 flameouts.

Day 1) Let it come up to temp and then dropped the temp setting to 220° leaving the lid open until the temp got near 220°. I put 2 tri-tips on and let it go. I went to check on it and the fire was out and pellets were piling up. Took off the meat, grills and covers, dumped the excess pellets and started over. No more trouble.

Day 2) Vacuumed out any old pellets and ash and started it as in #1 with 4 slabs of baby backs. I forgot to program the meat temp sensor and it back off the temp at 160°. No flameout so I just reset the temp target and off it went. Ya, probably silly to use that for ribs. No issues and the ribs were great.

3) Same startup as #1. Added ribs and about 2 hours into it I lost the flame again with a pile of pellets.

Is there an easier way to restart in this situation? Anyone else having this type of trouble? I sent an email to LG today but haven't heard back yet.

I looked at the programing info posted earlier but my controller is set to startup at 360° and some of the other number don't match either. That doc was from 2015. Are the new controllers different?

Thanks,
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XJbfBouqP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmgTHrWv4iY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2zL-d4X2f8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clBiIyCO4ZM

not the same controller same issues?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiYpkudfNMA&t=114s

Louisiana Grills
1 year ago (edited)
Hi Duane,
Your video shows how to re-program the control board but this is not for every grill and we don’t want customers doing this on their grills unless they talk to us. If you could specify this in your video that would be greatly appreciated.
For anyone having problems with their units, please give our Customer Service Team a call at 1-877-303-3134 before you try doing anything to your grill.

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 07-06-2018 at 08:22 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #302
steveb48
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Steve

I talked to LG service and they thought the problem was that I hadn't been filling the hopper full enough. I had been trying to keep it low so I didn't end up with a bunch of pellets in the hopper after my cook. Turns out that's a bad idea. With the hopper at least half full, no flameouts over 17 hours.

Steve
steveb48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #303
utnorris
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb48 View Post
Has anyone solved their flameout problem? Did reprogramming do it? I used my grill 3 times so far with 2 flameouts.

Day 1) Let it come up to temp and then dropped the temp setting to 220° leaving the lid open until the temp got near 220°. I put 2 tri-tips on and let it go. I went to check on it and the fire was out and pellets were piling up. Took off the meat, grills and covers, dumped the excess pellets and started over. No more trouble.

Day 2) Vacuumed out any old pellets and ash and started it as in #1 with 4 slabs of baby backs. I forgot to program the meat temp sensor and it back off the temp at 160°. No flameout so I just reset the temp target and off it went. Ya, probably silly to use that for ribs. No issues and the ribs were great.

3) Same startup as #1. Added ribs and about 2 hours into it I lost the flame again with a pile of pellets.

Is there an easier way to restart in this situation? Anyone else having this type of trouble? I sent an email to LG today but haven't heard back yet.

I looked at the programing info posted earlier but my controller is set to startup at 360° and some of the other number don't match either. That doc was from 2015. Are the new controllers different?

Thanks,
Steve

I did reprogram mine and changed I believe J1 to 225 so that is where the smoker starts at and I have not had an issue with flame outs. That being said, I did have an issue getting it to 600 degrees after the reprogramming, but that could be related to a number of other issues. I will be doing a brisket next weekend and will do a high temp to clean it of sorts. Will report back once done.
utnorris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #304
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Saw the "Pro" model this morning. Looks pretty much the same other than the handles on the boxes. Waiting for a $800 online price drop

Old 07-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #305
nicastro78
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Tony

I recently purchased this model when my local Costco was selling the floor display for $699. I have noticed something pacuiliar, when my drip tray is foiled I seem to run hot by about 30 to 50 degrees. No foil on the drip pan and the temps are rock solid within 5 degrees of set point. Has anyone who has bought one of the units or a Louisiana grill notice this issue? I don’t have this problem when foiling my GMG Jim Bowie.

Tony
nicastro78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2019, 07:40 AM   #306
nmeyer414
is One Chatty Farker

less than a year ago, i was able to get a cover for mine from my local costco. well that thin flimsy thing did not stand up to anything and is pretty much worthless.

so after being pissed off about it, i cut the old one apart, made a template and had a heavy duty truly waterproof one made for it.

if anybody is interested in one, shoot me a PM and we can talk price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old smoker cover.jpg (53.4 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg new smoker cover.jpg (55.4 KB, 215 views)

Old 02-06-2020, 03:29 PM   #307
SuperCooper

Name/Nickname : David

Hey Guys!

New guy here! I've been a modified WSM smoker for almost 10 years now. Attached photos are my setup.........three Webers modified for offset pellet smoking (either hot or cold smoke). I've been cold smoking my ribeyes (i.e. 2hours cold smoke) for years and it's just the ONLY way to cook a steak for me! I also cold smoke salmon and turn them into amazing smoky sashimi!

But now I think it's about time to consolidate my setup with an addition of a pizza oven add-on. I have looked into the Rec Tec 700 with the offset smoker, but it doesn't have hot searing and pizza oven option. I have also looked into the GMG Jim Bowie Prime with it's option to add the pizza oven, but it doesn't have an offset smoker.

LG Champion has almost all of the features I'm looking for! As such, I have read every page on this thread. It seems like most of the owners are initially happy with the LC Champion. Fast forward to today (3 years later)....do you guys still love your LG Champion? Has anyone tried fitting the GMG Pizza Oven into the main chamber?

I've read that Peabody86 was able to put 2 pellet tube generator inside the LG Champion and still generate smoke. I have done this in the Weber Kettle and other gas grills at 250 degrees and up. The heat inside the kettle or other grill will always put out the fire/smoke from the pellet tube generator. That is why I had to modified my Webers. I would hate to modify the LG Champion. As such, does anyone know if the smoke will still continue to generate with high heat in the main chamber?

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

SuperCooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #308
SuperCooper

Name/Nickname : David

SuperCooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2020, 05:37 AM   #309
reefugee
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

My first Louisiana grill had a problem when the pellets in the pellet box would occasionally catch on fire. I probably had a total of 6 pellet box fire in 2 years. I talk to Louisiana Grill, and they claim there were no know fire issue. I returned the grill to Costco (actually Costco.com and they picked it up!) and got an identical replacement. The replacement is less than a year old. No fire in the pellet box (so far), although I haven't done much smoking this past year. I think they modified it a bit. However, I have had 7 flame outs! It has ruined a few social gathering. In two case, I started a brisket around mid-night. Woke up at 7 to check on it, and the bottom was full of un-burnt pellet. Also the second grill had a broken door hinge. Called them and explained what I needed. They shipped out the wrong parts. Today (July 4th, 2020) - the flame went out 4 time! I was able to salvage the ribs. But a 4.5 hour cook took over 6 hours with the flameout! Guess what I did today? I ordered a different grill (Traeger Silverton 810). On Monday, I am calling Costco.com to have them pick up the old Louisiana Grill. I am sick and tired of dealing with this grill! I bought a pellet grill so that I can "set and forget." I never had this much problem with my old Traeger Texas Elite. I really wanted to like the Louisiana grill. I love the amount of cooking area. But I can't deal with the constant headaches!
reefugee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2020, 09:11 AM   #310
Freda
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Bought the same smoker a year and half ago, had multiple issues as you described. What a POS. If you want a good reliable pellet grill with good customer service check out RecTec.
Freda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2020, 09:45 AM   #311
nmeyer414
is One Chatty Farker

that sucks that you 2 have had issues with your LG Champion! i have had mine for 3.5 years now, has been covered and kept outside the whole time, always ensured that i had dry pellets and i have had zero issues with it.