MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Default How much do you spend on a KCBS competition?

To date, we've assigned categories to individuals on the team for each contest. Each person has been responsible for a specific category and we've shared in the overhead expenses. We're trying something new this weekend for a contest in that we're taking a team approach to each category and centralizing all expenses. One thing this has already done is given us an idea of exactly how much we spend to do a contest. Up to now, I had little idea of the total money we as a team actually spend.

I'm wondering how much money everyone spends in an average KCBS contest. I realize different contests have different expenses. Our American Royal expenses last year were off the charts. But this is a small contest (maybe 40 teams) and we're not doing any entertainment. Without including any personal expenses (like beer) or entertainment expenses like Friday night food. Just to enter the 4 main categories we've spent just over $500 (including food, supplies, and the $150 entry fee but not including any capital cost for equipment and gear). Is this reasonable or are we going overboard?

It seems high to me. Over the years we've become accustomed to some luxury items and I know we could trim some of the costs if needed. But I was just wondering what everyone else spends for a typical contest?

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Based on your $150 entry fee, which is low where I am, I would spend a total of about $400 + fuel to get there. I'm a 1 man low budget team
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

I generally run $600-$1000 depending on location and charge of entry fee.

This # includes entry fee (avg. 225 w/ utilities in Northeast), gas & tolls (depends on distance, but avg. approx 200 mi.), KCBS meats (usually +/- $150), garnish, sauces/rubs, estimates on replenishable items like charcoal/wood, foil, paper goods & other misc. supplies, misc. food & drink.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

We got by last weekend with $150+gas. That figures that we won half of our entry fee back, get our chicken & brisket for free each contest, and split a case of garnish with HoDeDo.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

$800-$1000 here per contest.... entry fees, fuel, and supplies..

Groceries are always the shocker.. and then ICE.. that last expense on the way to the highway.. .. packing 2 - 150 qt coolers with ice.. 75 bucks at 7/11.

oh...
plus $41 for a bottle of kitchen bouquet and a thermometer.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2007, 05:25 AM   #6
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I generally run $600-$1000 depending on location and charge of entry fee.

This # includes entry fee (avg. 225 w/ utilities in Northeast), gas & tolls (depends on distance, but avg. approx 200 mi.), KCBS meats (usually +/- $150), garnish, sauces/rubs, estimates on replenishable items like charcoal/wood, foil, paper goods & other misc. supplies, misc. food & drink.
Same # here depending on how far we have to travel and whether I have to pay for a double space.

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
swamprb

I asked this same question back in January when I was collecting stuff to get started. Still collecting, took a couple cooking classes, judged a couple comps, meeting teams and defintely have the itch to get started.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23546

Brian
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2007, 06:38 AM   #8
Jeff_in_KC

If I had to spend $1000 per contest, I'd be able to do a grand total of TWO or THREE per year. Holy chit!! We do around $400 plus gas here.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Just broke down last weekend's:

Entry fee $125 x 2(needed the space)= $250
Comp Meat =$125
Family & Friends food & beverage= $150
Motorhome Gas(no electric at comp, so running generator 24/7= $100
Supplies that need to be replaced,
(Aluiminum foil, pans, sauces, rubs, gloves..ect..= $50

That's $675 for a comp that was 15-20 min from the house. Mind you I wouldn't normally do the friends and family deal, but still need to feed the team. Plus the gas for a further away comp will be much more than that anyway.And I'm sure there is stuff I'm forgetting to take into account...

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2007, 07:54 AM   #10
Fredbird
is one Smokin' Farker

We spend about $500 plus gas for each contest. Of course, the Royal and the GAB cost more.
18" WSM
Weber One-Touch Gold
Aussie Gasser
MOFO Chapter
KCBS CBJ

"BEER is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy". - Benjamin Franklin
Fredbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #11
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

So far we're at about $400 per plus gas. This amount is including some start up team costs - t-shirts and bulk purchase of foil, tins, wrap, etc.

My brother and I split costs 50/50. Enter our costs in a spreadsheet to track and email it back and forth as we add stuff. Works well.

Now that we've recruited our dad as our team technical engineer (Mr. Fix-It) and runner - we're trying to talk him into providing an RV. At the last comp I gave him the I have a Dream speech. The one reminding him when he was younger and wanted a family that it was his dream to raise and provide for them as they needed then stated that he shouldn't give up on that dream. He laughed.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #12
Big Dog Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

I'd estimate not including travel expesnses (fuel, tolls) etc. or lodging (since we always stay at the site) we're in for about $500-$600.

This includes entry fee, meat (KCBS and grilling), sauces, spices. paper goods, garnishes, ice, and other incidentals.

Beer/Alchohol & non competition food not included.

Certainly NO consideration for gear or equipment in here.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
Timmy
Full Fledged Farker

Man, I don't even want to figure this up. Don't want to know. If I knew what it was costing me, I wouldn't do it. Some things are better left alone.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #14
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Man, I don't even want to figure this up. Don't want to know. If I knew what it was costing me, I wouldn't do it. Some things are better left alone.
Amen

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #15
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

We probably average about 350 or 400 per contest. For the meat, entry fee and the stuff needed to cook. With gas it is probably closer to 500.

NB Bandera, Webber Kettle, Backwoods Party, Large BGE
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote