MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:04 PM   #31
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
This is like telling someone who's shopping for a Mercedes to go buy a Ford Pinto first to see if they like driving nice cars.
Sometimes it is better to learn to walk before we try to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydQ View Post
Maybe the OP is a real smart guy and can handle a basic task. This ain't rocket science.
Wow. So, I guess I must be dumb because I found out I didn’t have the time necessary to dedicate to stick burning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerBroker View Post
I jumped into stick burning with both feet and bought a LSG. If you have nicely seasoned wood, you'll be producing thin blue smoke while maintaining temps before the 6-hour seasoning process is complete. If you get to the point where you just aren't using the pit, you can probably sell it for a $500 loss to someone who isn't willing to wait 4 months. If you buy a piece of junk, the resale value will be next to nothing so your total cost of ownership may not be much different in the end between each unit. That's what I tell my wife anyway when I want to buy nice things. A cheap offset could kill your enthusiasm for stick burning because they are more difficult to maintain temps. As far as waiting for what you want to get built, I strongly suggest you do it. The amount of time you own it will be far greater than the time you waited for it and you will forget about how long you waited once it arrives. Having something to look forward to is fun and while you wait, watch some videos on fire management and hang out around here. You will learn everything you need and more to produce very good BBQ on your first try.
Yeah, it doesn’t work like that. I speak from experience. No one wanted to buy a barely used pit, unless it was for a major discount. Had one guy in Austin offer half price, and told me he would be available when it didn’t sell. It took me several months to sell it, and then, I had to ship it a couple thousand miles.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #32
CptKaos
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Matt's Pitts- San Antonio - Fine Tune 20x40 or even better - 24x54".

http://rivercottagetables.com/matts_bbq_pits
I am totally happy with the 2 pits I got from Matt, but his welds are nowhere near the quality of the pit makers the OP listed.

Larry

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #33
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKaos View Post
The OP asked about 3 specific smokers. He didn't ask about charcoal grills or how to get into Q the cheapest, easiest way.
Maybe he already knows the best Q is made on a stick burner :)

Larry
So let me get this straight. Someone who has never climbed mountains comes to you and says which mountain should I submit first, Everest or K2? You wouldn't advise them to try something easier first?

The quality of the food comes from the cook and not the cooker
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2018, 06:31 AM   #34
CptKaos
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
So let me get this straight. Someone who has never climbed mountains comes to you and says which mountain should I submit first, Everest or K2? You wouldn't advise them to try something easier first?

The quality of the food comes from the cook and not the cooker
So let me get this straight. someone asks about smokers and you want to send him mountain climbing :)

Larry

Old 01-07-2018, 08:21 AM   #35
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKaos View Post
So let me get this straight. someone asks about smokers and you want to send him mountain climbing :)

Larry
dont try to deflect. answer the question asked. actually dont as it was rhetorical.

the right thing to do to help a beginner is to let them know the potential errors of their desired path.

I wouldnt tell a beginner to summit k2 or everest, and I wouldnt tell a beginner to buy an offset smoker.

and as thoey said, some of them dont really hold their value that well.

I wonder if the OP knows that three of the top 5 teams last year in KCBS team of the year were cooking on drums? I wonder if that would change his mind and make him want to learn on a $100 drum first?
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #36
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
dont try to deflect. answer the question asked. actually dont as it was rhetorical.

the right thing to do to help a beginner is to let them know the potential errors of their desired path.

I wouldnt tell a beginner to summit k2 or everest, and I wouldnt tell a beginner to buy an offset smoker.

and as thoey said, some of them dont really hold their value that well.

I wonder if the OP knows that three of the top 5 teams last year in KCBS team of the year were cooking on drums? I wonder if that would change his mind and make him want to learn on a $100 drum first?
Are you going to spend the rest of your day trying to convince everybody your opinion is the only correct one? I suggest you go out and cook something.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #37
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springram View Post
Are you going to spend the rest of your day trying to convince everybody your opinion is the only correct one? I suggest you go out and cook something.
lol. Im trying to help the op. if it goes against your religion sorry. lol.

Im cooking a brisket today btw, probably grill some chicken wings as well.

Enjoy your cooking today as well.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #38
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Now we have gone to religion...
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #39
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

For all we know the OP is a pyromaniac eagle scout that has been burning up GI Joes and tree forts since the age of 8. A stick burner could be child's play for him.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #40
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

I think you're makin exactly the right call by starting with a good quality smoker. Don't waste $400-600 of your purchase money on something that mainly will be frustrating and will be even harder to sell than a good quality pit when you decide you want to upgrade.

Since you're lucky enough to live in Texas, you don't need to look outside the state for a great pit. Some prior posters have mentioned the names of really good pitmakers in Dallas, Houston, etc.

With reference to your comments about 1/4" vs 3/16" steel, IMHO you shouldn't base your decision on that difference. Once you get a pit that has 1/4" -- or really even 1/8" -- then you're lookin at a great quality pit. The only folks who need a thicker pit than that is someone cookin in super-cold temp's up north. No need in Texas, and the extra weight will just make it harder to move around.

Finally, if you want to look at something a little different you might look at the Karubecue, made by an engineer near Dallas. Look up the website -- he developed a unique design that virtually assures perfect smoke, and therefore perfect smoke flavour, from the burning wood. You also can find great reviews on his smoker and others on the AmazingRibs.com site. Good luck!
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #41
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

After buying my Klose the first thing I learned on it is that the stories of offsets being "difficult" and having "a steep learning curve" is just an old wives tale. Mostly spread by people who fell victim to cheap box store offsets, and people who just parrot what the box store offset victims say.

If you have managed to grow to adulthood without stepping out in front of a bus, or ignoring the warning on plastic bags and suffocating yourself, Id say you have enough sense to operate a quality offset. Its just not that complicated.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #42
Novass
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

My first stickbuner was a 30x84 Shirley fab. I did however come from cooking on weber kettles and a uds. I picked up the cooker 2nd week of November, went on a 5 day cruise the next week, and 3 days after the cruise I seasoned the cooker and smoked 11 turkeys for the first smoke. so buying a quality smoker helps a lot with the learning curb.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #43
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

After a few of the comments in this thread I would look at the price these are going for used if resale value is important to the op. I would think the Jambo would be the safest out of the 3 you listed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #44
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

If the OP wants a stick burner, why can’t he have one? And what’s it matter what 3 of the top 5 KCBS teams cook on?
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #45
IXL
is one Smokin' Farker

When we purchased our offset, a 20" Horizon R.D. Special, our only experience was with BGEs. We could have saved a ton of money on something from the big-box-store route but everything I read pointed to a probable less-than-enjoyable learning curve, and possibly just developing a real aversion to cooking with a cheap offset.

Using the Horizon is quite enjoyable and turns out fantastic food. It operates just as one would hope, gets a split when it needs a split, and doesn't have huge temperature spikes, the 0.250 steel thickness retains heat well. The basic learning curve needed to produce good-tasting food was so short I think we almost missed it.

The ONLY thing I regret about purchasing this smoker is that I listened to the owner of the BBQ store, who is a great guy and was only offering his best advice, and ordered the 20" instead of going with the 24." The food tasted so good coming off this smoker, that my missus started inviting more people over and the cooks got to be large enough that the 24" would really come in handy: there are worse problems to have.

At no time have I ever regretted getting a "good one" from the start, and always realized that stickburners would require a certain amount of time and attention. For me, this has been a situation to look forward to.

Good luck with your choice!
IXL is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
Off Set Smoker, smoker, Smoker comparison