Tidewater Shenanigans - Pastrami Time (w/ Pr0n)!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
We're on the East Coast for the moment, and family's caught wind of my pastrami experimentation. I figure I should oblige my folks' requests, and whip up a batch.

Sam's Club in Chesapeake only had pre-corned flats, but we had pick of the litter. Thusly, we sorted through a whole case, and chose the fattiest piece we could.

I whipped up a batch of ThirdEye's Pastrami Rub:

(this recipe makes enough rub to season several corned briskets, any leftover can be stored in a zipper baggie in the freezer for several months)

4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper (more if you like it peppery)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons Canadian/Montreal Steak seasoning
1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
1 teaspoon paprika
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Gave the brisket flat a bit of a soak for 2-3 hours, with fresh water every hour. Then, I applied a heavy coat of rub before wrapping it in plastic wrap and resting it overnight in the fridge.

VoVDo9hh.jpg

Storms are supposed to move through all weekend long, and could make this cook a bit more "interesting."

More to follow.

Thin blue and fair weather to you all.

Love pastrami! :clap2:

Looking forward to this one! :hungry: & Yeah, thirdeye's site is a great resource.

Marc,

I, too shall be facing down the wrath of nature this weekend on a brisket - but I'm cooking covered. Looking forward to finished pics.

A little adversity makes the victory so much sweeter. :-D

Good luck with the weather, and as long you are in Chesapeake, go catch some crabs (you know the kind I mean:wink:).

Good luck with the weather, and as long you are in Chesapeake, go catch some crabs (you know the kind I mean:wink:).

Ron, they make a cream for the rest! :shocked: :doh: :tape:

In all seriousness, we've hit the seafood hard (thankfully).

Oysters, Shrimp, Crab, Fish... (all that stuff gets pretty small by time it makes it "upstream" to us in NM)!

Good luck Marc! I am sure that the "Hand of God pilot" can make a heck of a good pastrami!

Enjoy the down time brother.

I’ve been wanting to try my hand at pastrami for a while - your not helping. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am sure that the "Hand of God pilot" can make a heck of a good pastrami!

Enjoy the down time brother.

Not sure who you're referring to... but I'm sure enjoying the heck out of growing this here full beard and all that goes with it. :thumb:

I’ve been wanting to try my hand at pastrami for a while - your not helping. :)

Kevin - Sorry, not sorry. Brother, once I found ThirdEye's blog post and about 15-20 other posts about Pastrami... I knew I was hooked and had to give it a shot.

It's stupid simple, even for a dolt like me.... and it's tasty (and something different from "the usual" barbecue cooks).

Get after it, man. You won't be sorry.

Looks TASTEE! You will NEVER go wrong following "Thirdeye's" lead.His advice has been very helpful to me and others too.I have been following his post since the Old Original Big Green Egg Forum.He has some great pointers.

Cannot wait to see a pic of the finished product. Thank you for the recipe and the reference, I have had corn beef on my brain lately. I think this is the push I need to give pastrami a go!

Love Pastrami and you cant go wrong with thirdeye's recipe I dont have a pressure cooker so at the end of the cook I elevate the meat in a pan pour in beer wrap with foil and cook a few more hours Sooooo good Looking forward to following you Marc You have some lucky people around you You are just a little south of me Have a good weekend

Not exactly the best smoking equipment, but Mom & Dad's gasser will have to do.

ynja5ZRh.jpg

7QUtEvJh.jpg

Trying to generate some smoke with some hickory. Rollin' along around 275F for now. Not sure the right burner is working well, but I've transferred the wood chunks over there and killed the burner in the middle for more indirect (vs direct) heat.

Clouding up already. We'll get some rain here in about 45-60 minutes. Maybe it'll cool the place off!

More to come.

2 hours running a little warm at 304-310F pushed the internal temp up to 155F when I checked.

Pulled the beef inside and used a bit of a fold job to get her into the Instant Pot.

Added 1 cup of water.
Set it for 30 minutes on high pressure.
I'll do a natural release, and we'll give it a good probing for tenderness.

tP635afh.jpg

Back