MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:35 PM   #1
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Default How long will this take to cook?

I’m planning on cooking this 8 pound butt for carnitas tomorrow. Chunks are in the 3-4 inch range. I’ll start out letting it smoke/simmer in it’s own juices for a while, then add some water-based liquid (OJ and water mostly), and braise it until the liquid evaporates and the meat crisps up some on the outside. I can add more liquid if the meat isn’t done by the time the water evaporates.

I’ll be doing this on the WSM 22.5 at 275 F, or maybe closer to 300 F if I can get her to cooperate with me. How long do you think this will take? I’m guessing 4 – 5 hours, but not really sure as I haven’t tried anything like this before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220527_162057[1].jpg (67.5 KB, 155 views)
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2022, 06:04 PM   #2
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

That doesn't sound too far fetched. I've done smaller butts (whole or cut in half) in the same or less time, so chunks that size shouldn't be that much different. I would probably rearrange the pieces every couple of hours just to make sure that they cook evenly and definitely wrapping in foil will speed things up towards the end. I did carnitas once and can't wait to do them again.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-27-2022, 06:55 PM   #3
Greygoose
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Don

Don’t forget some oranges,,,
Cut up whole ones,,,,
Greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2022, 07:58 PM   #4
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes, I'll be juicing a couple of oranges and throwing the spent oranges in. Also probably will zest them first and use that in the rub.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:40 AM   #5
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I'd get another pan(or larger pan) and spread out the meat some so the smoke and heat will have more surface area to work on. That should shorten cooking time too.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-28-2022, 09:10 AM   #6
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
I'd get another pan(or larger pan) and spread out the meat some so the smoke and heat will have more surface area to work on. That should shorten cooking time too.
Im going with this as well. A single layer would be ideal, even if they are pressed somewhat tightly together.

Old 05-28-2022, 04:11 PM   #7
Fooball
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
Yup.
Fooball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2022, 05:50 AM   #8
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

I started it out in one pan because I already had another whole butt on the grate, which I didn’t want to have to pull to put in the lower grate. I ran just the meat in the pan for about an hour and a half, then added my two cups of liquid (OJ, lime juice, and water), which turned out to be way too much. After the meat gave up its liquid, the pan was full nearly to the rim. After the whole butt finished, I moved half the meat and liquid to a second pan. The meat was done after about 5 ½ hours total, but the liquid was nowhere near reduced, so I reduced it on the stove top and finished crisping up the meat on the gasser. Then drizzled some of the reduced orangey glaze (which I had to mine from underneath about 3 inches of fat) on the shredded meat.

All in all, it was pretty good, but not as flavorful as I wanted it to be. I doubt I will try this method again. I was trying to do something close to traditional carnitas, but I don’t think it translates well to the smoker. Next time I’ll probably leave the butt whole, rub it generously with salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and orange zest, inject with OJ, then cook it the normal way on the grate. I’m guessing that will produce better flavor.

Thanks much, everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220528_155909[1].jpg (104.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20220528_181218[1].jpg (132.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20220528_183133[1].jpg (74.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20220528_190107[1].jpg (72.1 KB, 45 views)

Old 05-29-2022, 06:04 AM   #9
Ecuaporker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Ramón

Visually, it looks delicious.
Ecuaporker is offline   Reply With Quote