MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-26-2022, 05:21 PM   #1
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Default Processed 3 Whole Boneless Pork Loins

$1.88/lb from Sam's. Bunch of slices for stir fry, asian soups / pho, jerky etc.. 12 chops as well.

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-26-2022, 05:23 PM   #2
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I'll make a pound of the sliced loin into jerky.. will share the recipe and photos :) It tastes better than any jerky you can buy at store and tastes like beef jerky despite it being pork. So affordable!

Old 05-26-2022, 05:28 PM   #3
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

The jerky marinade I use is Alton Brown's. I marinade the slice pork loin overnight in this:

For 1 pound sliced pork loin:

1/3rd cup soy sauce -- I use Kikkoman
1/3rd cup Worcestershire sauce
a squirt of honey to taste or 2 drops of liquid stevia -- I use the stevia since I'm diabetic.
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional -- I like them)

Old 05-26-2022, 05:35 PM   #4
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I dehydrate the jerky by laying the jerky on a cooling rack/grate. I have like 8 of these cooling rack grates and I rotate them 90 degrees each tier, stacking them on each other; raising them higher and higher allowing multiple levels of jerky to dry. (Every other tier I leave empty for more air flow).

I then put 4 big tomato sauce cans (or quart mason jars) on all 4 corners of the stack of cooling racks. I sit a clean box fan face down on top of these 4 cans/jars and turn it on full speed. It dries the jerky in a few hours.

So this dries room temp, in a high oxygen environment, so no risk for botulism -- from my understanding. Note: I freeze the pork loin for 30+ days in the freezer at 0F to kill of any potential trichinosis -- very rare these days but this takes care of it if it does happen. The acid and salt kill other bacteria. This is the way Alton brown makes his beef jerky from beef roast, I am just using pork loin instead. It tastes identical to beef once marinaded and dried out.. perhaps even better :)

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-27-2022, 09:32 AM   #5
Big Andy
Take a breath!

I highly recommend a meat tenderizer for doing pork and beef cube steak. The pork cutlets don't seem to dry out like regular chops if overcooked, and they are fine eating covered in gravy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Big Andy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2022, 11:57 AM   #6
Fooball
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

I like to do thick boneless loin chops hit heavy with butt rub then cooked low and slow in sauerkraut. Works in a crock pot, too.
Fooball is offline   Reply With Quote