Looking for outdoor BBQ recommendation

cerpika

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I know there is no lack of BBQ (in this case, propane) recommendation/reviews out there, but I haven't found much that addresses one of my biggest needs - weatherproof.

I live in the Seattle area and don't have a good option for a covered area for my BBQ on my back raised patio. Simply put, my BBQ is wide open to the very windy & rainy weather elements here. I put a cover on the BBQ when I can, but it sometimes goes uncovered for nights/days. TBH, I find the taking on/off the cover constantly kind of annoying....

Anyone have any recommendations/guidance on finding a BBQ that will handle the elements better than others? I know everything has a limited lifespan being left vulnerable to the weather, but I would like to find something that will last as long as possible. Thanks all!

When you say BBQ are you asking about a grill or a smoker? And, to be sure, Propane only/?

My apologies, I should have put more detail in the OP. I grill for family/friends, and would mostly use this as my propane only grill (my yoder smoker and BGE handle the other responsibilities). I tend to use the gasser when I want a shorter startup time, and the food doesn't really need slow smoking (i.e. hot dogs, burgers). I prefer to go with something in the midsize range and would like to keep it under $1k.

With as much rain as you guys get, too bad they don't make them out of plastic or fiberglass, huh? Ha!

If you live with someone else, maybe train them to cover it since you did the cooking. :heh:

I’d definitely go with stainless steel. Surely there are some good ones out there that fit your budget. And if I were to spend up to a grand on a grill that was left out in the weather, I’d definitely be keeping it covered when not in use. That’s a pretty large investment to just leave exposed to the elements all the time. A good grill cover would probably extend its life span by nearly double.

Red

I live a little south from you in the Portland area. The photo is a 7 year old Weber Genesis. For the most part it held up pretty well with the exception of the small rusted line on the inside of the lid.

I assume the all stainless steel version of this would not have rusted there.
1e253b224062d808701072310559f90c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I live a couple miles from salt water and have had luck with Weber Genesis gas grills. It sits on our deck under a standard grill cover 24/7. I do put it in my shop for hurricanes. I get the enamel ones because stainless is considered a “COLOR” to most grill manufacturers. If a magnet sticks to your stainless grill, it isn’t stainless steel. In addition “stainless” color shows every stain and blemish.

My current Genesis is 13 years old and I had to start replacing rusted out parts last year. They redesigned the Genesis lineup for 2022 so I decided to pull the trigger on a new one last Saturday. The 2022 redesign seems as good if not better than my 13 year old one and the base model E-325s was $999. So far I’m impressed.

Assembly and delivery is free, but I like to put them together myself.

A26BFF7A-FD45-4853-935E-810AC77EB49A.jpg

909DBDBF-0BD1-4116-882A-A89540E5B263.jpg

I always break in a new grill with a steak!
The sear zone worked great and I flipped the shelf out to finish indirect.

D918C0F9-D773-4312-A958-FE1BD183286B.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the feedback. It sounds like SS tends to provide the best protection against the weather, but in all reality, a cover is still mandatory (especially in Seattle).

I appreciate the effort in all of the replies, especially those from Shadowdog & mcyork. I've actually been leaning towards the Genesis line. Seems like a good investment.

Look at Broil King and Broilmaster. Some of them have aluminum cook chambers and they will weather as well or better than SS.

My Falcon MK V(no longer made) is 29 years old and still going strong. I've had to replace the internals two or three times but they are consumable in most all grills.

I was in Ace hardware today and they had a stainless Genesis next to a summit.

The “Stainless” grate on the Genesis was stainless color and the magnet stuck firmly.

The Stainless grate on the Summit was real stainless steel and the magnet did not stick.

I was burned before buying a Weber stainless grate for my performer. The chrome coating peeled off after a few cookswith the SnS and it started to rust. After that I bought heavy duty genuine stainless steel Killagrilla grate that will probably outlast me.

Genesis not really stainless steel (magnet sticks firmly)

799-E402-A-F827-41-DD-BA28-0-F8-E58-AC3462.jpg

Summit is real stainless steel. (Magnet does not stick)

080-F33-A5-D063-4-FF0-A6-FE-B1-FBC6-E14489.jpg

Last edited:
Back