Workhorse Pits 1969 economy delivery

Fireside

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have a Workhorse Pits 1969 on order and selected the economy delivery. It saves about $200 over the regular delivery and supposedly there is no pallet or wrapping. Has anyone used that option, and how did the delivery go? I'm assuming that one can just roll the pit into the driveway?

Also, the wheels are fairly small on the 1969. Does anyone try to roll it around in their yard? Is it doable on a dry day or does the pit sink into the ground?

I'm new here and just trying to navigate around. Thanks for any responses!

Congrats on the new pit and I wish I had an answer for it because that would mean I had one too.

I ordered my 1975 before the option for the reduced shipping was available. That said, I think my shipping to VA was only like $400 so maybe it’s coming the cheaper way? I honestly don’t know. Expected delivery in about a month so I guess I’ll see when it gets here.

Congrats on the new pit! Also, did they tell you the shelf option is about here? Supposed to be available this month sometime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've no experience here either, but I've run the scenario through my mind as I will upgrade from my Brazos at some point.

I don't think that delivery method would work for me as I have a fairly steep drive. The smoker would have to be on a pallet and really, IDK how the driver would get it in the garage.

But my plan for getting it to the backyard would involve my nephews or some other strong backs, and a couple of 4X8 sheets of plywood. Just keep rotating the two sheets .

Thanks guys

Thanks for the replies.

I'm just worried about getting the thing out of the road!

they didn't tell me about a shelf option, but I sure would be interested in it, if it's offered. I'm way down on the bottom of the list so they have plenty of time to add one. lol

I spent a lot of time trying to decide which pit I wanted... and now, of course, I'm impatient for it to get here. If anyone has any tips on running the 1969, I'm all ears.

Its my understanding that the delivery includes putting it in the garage, unless this " economy " delivery states differently.

I think JD can school you on operation.

Regarding the shelf option for Workhorse pits. I contacted Workhorse and there is, apparently a shelf option in the works, but not currently available to be ordered. I was told to stay tuned and when it was available, it would be added to the website.

Can I ask how long of a wait it was from purchase to expected delivery? I am having trouble with Kat Smokers. I have one on order but he appears to be having difficulty getting the materials to make it.

Thanks

Yaker

Unfortunately, it looks like the middle of May right now. As far as I know, and I don't know much, the materials aren't the problem, but just the order backlog. I don't know if there is even an attempt to ramp up production or if the production rate will stay the same.

Their goal is 90 days from order I believe. They had been hiring more help too I think due to the backlog of orders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Give or take a week, my mid May figure would still be right around 90 days. I wouldn't argue with them if they just went ahead and sent me mine!

I just received my 1969 last week via their internal shipping option after the freight shipper damaged my first delivery. Everything was very smooth. I received an email on Friday stating that my cooker was shipping Saturday (I live in MA). Sunday afternoon I got a call from the driver that he was an hour away. Apparently he drove straight from GA to Boston Saturday and made a bunch of deliveries up here on Sunday, then was heading back south for more deliveries. He drives a pickup truck with a flat open trailer attached, there were probably 10-15 total cookers on there, all strapped tight. He got the smoker off with the help of a winch & I just steered it down the ramp. We wheeled it down the driveway, he made sure all the doors opened and closed correctly and double checked I had all of the hardware (thermometers, nuts & bolts for smoke stack & Daisy wheel), then wheeled it in my garage. It's a heavy sucker so I would be cautious about moving it around any unpaved surface. I can handle it fine by myself in the driveway but we have about 7 inches of snow on the ground so I have not tried anywhere else. Any other questions just let me know, but I'm very happy with the delivery & would recommend it to everyone, especially after my experience with freight.

Thanks for the freight update. That makes me feel a LOT better. All I need is a little help to get the smoker to my driveway. I'd pay a lot if the driver could get the thing in my garage, but that isn't going to happen. My wife would pay more.

I assume that you are pleased with the Pit? I've never seen one in the flesh but really looking forward to getting mine.

I just received my 1969 last week via their internal shipping option after the freight shipper damaged my first delivery. Everything was very smooth. I received an email on Friday stating that my cooker was shipping Saturday (I live in MA). Sunday afternoon I got a call from the driver that he was an hour away. Apparently he drove straight from GA to Boston Saturday and made a bunch of deliveries up here on Sunday, then was heading back south for more deliveries. He drives a pickup truck with a flat open trailer attached, there were probably 10-15 total cookers on there, all strapped tight. He got the smoker off with the help of a winch & I just steered it down the ramp. We wheeled it down the driveway, he made sure all the doors opened and closed correctly and double checked I had all of the hardware (thermometers, nuts & bolts for smoke stack & Daisy wheel), then wheeled it in my garage. It's a heavy sucker so I would be cautious about moving it around any unpaved surface. I can handle it fine by myself in the driveway but we have about 7 inches of snow on the ground so I have not tried anywhere else. Any other questions just let me know, but I'm very happy with the delivery & would recommend it to everyone, especially after my experience with freight.

I’m getting a 69 in April. Post pics when you can and let us know when you fire it up!

Thanks for the freight update. That makes me feel a LOT better. All I need is a little help to get the smoker to my driveway. I'd pay a lot if the driver could get the thing in my garage, but that isn't going to happen. My wife would pay more.

I assume that you are pleased with the Pit? I've never seen one in the flesh but really looking forward to getting mine.

So far so good. I've only had it a little over a week and the weather here has been pretty terrible so I haven't done too much with it yet. Seasoned on Tuesday, cooked a couple racks of spares Wednesday, and cooked some wings for the game Sunday. Spares came out great but the wings were a bit off. Definitely a learning curve since its my first stick burner, but keeping a nice big coal bed is key to maintaining even temps. I'm super happy about the pit though and really looking forward to learning the art of stick burning.

Nice looking ribs!!

Have you been able to check he evenness of the temps in the cooking chamber?

Wow. Nice snowfall. It's about 65 degrees this morning in Mississippi. Just saying.

Nice looking ribs!!

Have you been able to check he evenness of the temps in the cooking chamber?

Wow. Nice snowfall. It's about 65 degrees this morning in Mississippi. Just saying.

Yea... that was before another 7" on Sunday. Good times. Temps are quite even (+/- 5-10 degrees) across the grates once you get a good coal bed going. They'll fluctuate a bit every time you put a log on but settle ok. It's definitely hot near the smoke stack, the underside of my wings nearest the smoke stack were pretty charred whereas the wings in the middle of the cooker were fine. Top rack runs about 25 degrees hotter than main rack, but I don't know if you went with that option. I haven't cooked anything up there yet.

moniz

Is the grease drain threaded so a valve can be put on, or is it smooth?

Yes it is threaded, there is a plug that you screw out or in as you need it.

Back