MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Injecting a brisket?

So I was hoping maybe someone could give me a crash course in injecting, the last time I made a brisket the outside had a lot of flavor but the inside was kinda bland and I wanted to give injecting a try. So what do I use for the injection and how many times do I poke it? And are there any particular places I want to make sure to get?

Old 01-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
bmolloy
Knows what a fatty is.

Big Cow Beef Injection
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup worcestershire
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne

Old 01-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Try for about 16 oz.. depending on size of the brisket. Try a checkerboard pattern around every inch or so.. Inject with the grain, not against.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmolloy View Post
Big Cow Beef Injection
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup worcestershire
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne
Yep, that's what I've been using from Dr. BBQ's book! If I happen to grab a can of low sodium beef broth, I also will add some soy sauce to add some salt to the mix. I'm also thinking of substituting the soy sauce with a beef bullion cube as an experiment. I don't inject the entire amount from this recipe, almost though. IMO it doesn't give any overpowering flavor to the brisket. It just adds internal moisture & subtle seasoning. It keeps the brisket tasting "beefy", which is exactly what I want it to do.

As for the injecting itself... The first time I ever injected a brisket I injected both the lean and the fat side (Duh, I know better now ). The fat cap kept plugging my needle with fat. So now I only inject from the lean side. I inject in a pattern of rows. Each injection site is about 1" to 1-1/2" from each other within the row. Likewise each row is spaced about 1" to 1-1/2" apart. I inject the the entire packer this way (flat & point). Every time I refill the syringe, I stir the injection solution to suspend the solid ingredients. They tend to settle on the bottom of the solution quickly.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

I use Knorr's beef gravy mix. i mix up a very thick batch. I inject from the sides of the meat with the grain. I have a Spitjack injector so it is big enough to go 3/4 of the way through even a good size brisket. As I inject I slowly move the needle out to keep from having pockets of injection. Massage the heck out of it when you are done and then let it sit in the fridge for around 6 hours and you will be good to go.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

here is instructions from David, Butcher's BBQ

http://www.butcherbbq.com/?pg=directionsforuse

btw, his stuff is great.
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Here is a great non-commercial injection...

Johnny's Au Jus concentrate, mixed a little lighter than the directions. You can usually get it at Wal-Mart.

Minor's is great as well, if you can find it. What makes Minor's better, as far as mimicking a commercial injection, is that it contains sodium phosphate, which is one of the "magic ingredients" of many (if not all) commercial injections.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

butchers 1 inch cross pattern rub wrap up tight at least 4 hours before you throw it on fec
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

I just got some Butchers Injection, gonna try it in a brisket on monday, never injected a brisket before myself, i'll let you know how it comes out. As for worcestershire sauce, i can't say that i really like it, it always seems to over power stuff, i am cautious oabout using to much of it

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build
jasonalan724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have Butchers too, it's great stuff.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote