MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Cutem all Jack
Knows what a fatty is.

Default How do u keep your meat fresh?

I've like alot of others have been thinking about selling Q on the corner. Before everybody gets on to me, I am in the process of figureing out how to do it legal.

But here is my question. On butts you can foil them wrap them and put em in a cooler and they will be fine, but how do you keep your chicken and ribs from overbooking but staying fresh after they are done? I can cook great Q but I refuse to serve dry nasty Q because it's not fresh.

To the guys who have made it in the business, has it been worth it and is there any actual money to be made in a weekend warrior if I do it legal? Thanks for any help or pointers!
Cutem all Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

To answer your last question 1st. If I were to pay myself an hourly wage my business would go broke fast. I have pretty much gotten myself a good paying job from going in to business. I still work full time 40 hours a week but work 60 hours a week to barbecue cater/vend weekends. I'm tired, have no time to do things I want and no money because it takes all of it to keep the growing business rolling. It seems the more I make the more I need. I do not make enough to quite my full time job, and I could use lots of help that I can not afford. This is my 3rd year in business, it is a roller coaster of emotions. You have someone tell you that $10pp is way too much one minute for something and the next books you for $20pp and thinks it was great deal. It will take me 2 more years to pay off debt my going into business. Once it's paid off I will evaluate were I am at and make a decision whether I want to continue.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Your not ready to start a business until you already know how to do these basic things.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Also, getting legal just to work weekends is fairly cost prohibitive, that's why so few actually do it.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
ExhaustedSpark
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

As a wise man once said. Location, Location, Location,
Good luck on your venture. Even if you fail you succeed.
Just remember they cant take away your Birthday.
ExhaustedSpark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Cutem all Jack
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Your not ready to start a business until you already know how to do these basic things.
That's why you ask if you dont know right?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Cutem all Jack
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
To answer your last question 1st. If I were to pay myself an hourly wage my business would go broke fast. I have pretty much gotten myself a good paying job from going in to business. I still work full time 40 hours a week but work 60 hours a week to barbecue cater/vend weekends. I'm tired, have no time to do things I want and no money because it takes all of it to keep the growing business rolling. It seems the more I make the more I need. I do not make enough to quite my full time job, and I could use lots of help that I can not afford. This is my 3rd year in business, it is a roller coaster of emotions. You have someone tell you that $10pp is way too much one minute for something and the next books you for $20pp and thinks it was great deal. It will take me 2 more years to pay off debt my going into business. Once it's paid off I will evaluate were I am at and make a decision whether I want to continue.
The more I've looked into what it takes to do it legal the more I could see myself getting into the same shoes you are in. I wish you the best of luck on your journey. I don't really see how you can make much with all the small things you have to get just to have a successful buisness. You don't really think about all the small things much less dealing with HD. Again good luck!

Old 03-23-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
DennyDustin
Found some matches.

This post has great information that helps to keep the meat fresh. I am happy to find this awesome post.
DennyDustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Cutem all Jack, do not give up with out trying.

Yes there are some expenses, I am doing it the legal way and did I make money last year, nope. Did it cost me my home buying insurance and jumping through the HD hoops, nope. I have spent more money on hunting trips than I did getting legal so don't let the cost of doing this scare you.
I know many will quickly say don't do it, but your going to hear that regardless of what business you go into, at least your attempting to do it legally.

As far as keeping food warm, chaffing dishes and Cambros is where you want to start. I by no means am any expert as I ask this kind of question all the time, still learning.

I will suggest doing as I am now, take the food safety course, either online or locally and just stick to their guidelines. Keep the meet in the safe zones either warm or cool.

I believe most meets are good for a few hours if kept warm and moist. I am going to be doing some testing in the next few weeks and will let you know my results.

It would be nice if there were a section on this, specific to meats and times that they can be kept before the quality starts to drop too much.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Pa_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote