Wife Bought A Pair Of Shoes-I bought

Progress. No plans to assemble tonight. Just unpack and check doors on cooking chamber and firebox. Acceptable tight fit. Better than expected.

Last edited:
Why not the Old Country Pecos ?

No doubt in my mind, its a better smoker for about the same money.

Sold my truck last summer.
No help to unload/load if I did. Just wife & I
I can wrangle this cooker with dolly
Old Country 100$ more
Oklahoma Joe though quite heavy came in box-fit in 4Runner
Wife will be involved (invested) in assembly (gal can read instructions)
If Academy had free delivery I probably would have given more thought
I “buy” at Academy but don’t “shop” there anymore
Way to crowded with clothes/shoe shoppers
I bought my OKJ Bronco for 118$ at Academy (price matched Walmart plus additional 5%)

Bottom line I wanted the highest rated lowest cost offset the wife and I could deal with on our own. I’m talking OKJ, Dyna-Glo,Char-Broil price territory.

This cooker comes into the fold on probation.
Fatty’s,Chicken, twice smoked ham etc. I never see myself doing an extended 6/8 hour cook. Definitely not the longer cooks you see here. I admire Brethren who can do those.

I have a truck, but got a U-Haul trailer on a daily rate of $25 to get my OC Brazos home. Got one with a ramp. Just rolled it in and out into the garage.

But it was difficult getting it to the backyard.

If anyone read this far Lowe’s had 20% off signs on Kamado Joe’s
Not sure of details guess credit card sign up deal (again just guessing) I’m not a veteran but believe they have a veteran discount too. Again just guessing, but if interested in a Kamado Joe Ceramic Cooker they are well built beasts. My wife was looking at the xtra large and said the lid was locked. It wasn’t, she just couldn’t lift it. Once I opened the lid a little ways it was spring assisted. Really a cool cooker

Big sign free assembly and delivery on cookers over 399$

...This cooker comes into the fold on probation...

16, Really? We already knew that. I'm just guessing but your only true cooker loyalty is to the SOB?

If I'm being honest... I've been lusting after the SOB a little, so I understand.

SOB’s were (are again after new ownership of Tiernan Mfg) sold and shipped nationwide for a few decades. They’re out there in the Wild. Customs occasionally show up but the 34&48 were the flagship models. I’ve had a custom 24” and 48” and my 34” is my favorite. You can can kind of guess their age, though I’ve never seen one that a wire wheel and high temp paint didn’t bring it back to new. My 48 the door warped a tad after 20+ years but I hung a small weight on a bungee cord on the lid handle and sealed tight. One latch would’ve done the trick but never did.

No wheels
Two Wheels
Four Wheels

Oldest to youngest can be estimated by castors. Fun cooker

Congrats on your purchase. I have one as well. A few things I learned and did, for whatever it's worth:

There are a lot of mods folks do to these cookers, mainly because they leak like a sieve. I welded the firebox to the cooking chamber, as that was the source of the most leaks. Don't think adding insulation around the chamber door and firebox door is really worth it.

If you plan on using this as a wood-fired cooker(and I hope you will), you'll need splits that fit the firebox, which is on the smaller side.

Temps can vary wildly due to the thin metal, so don't expect them to be consistent. The food is done when it's done, whenever that may be. The best gift this cooker gave me was the experience of what food tastes like from a wood fired smoker, which is at another level compared to a charcoal smoker.

I found the OKJ Highland to really excel at cooking large cuts of beef that one would normally grill, like large ribeyes/tomahawks, and Tri Tips. The meat gets a good amount of smoke for most of the cook, then I finish it off over the porcelain grates directly over the hot wood coals. Makes for beautiful crusts:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286509

Looking forward to seeing you put it to good use for the MSU Testing Lab.

Last edited:
Thanks for input. The cooker is put together and has assumed a temporary position on the patio. This is what I was looking for. Except the wheels. Cotter pin gives it a crazy leg look but it is...... I did buy the OK Joe gasket and installed. I did buy the OK Joe fire basket. Cleaning the porcelain grates and will do a Seasoning cook after while.
Will do a burn out later. Obviously first actual cook will be Fattys and perhaps a can of biscuits

Back