MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:53 PM   #1
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Default Seeking advice with fresh caught salmon

Buddy of mine caught some wild salmon today and is bringing it tomorrow for me to cook. Wife and I only like salmon raw or sous at 120ish. With it freshly caught and not being flash frozen to kill any parasites I'm asking for anyone's favorite preparations for salmon as I don't think our usual dishes are safe? Or is this like it used to be with cooking pork to 165 and making everyone hate it? Any feedback would be great!
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 12:33 AM   #2
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

Fresh is perfect. It'll be fine even if you do it raw. Make a ceviche if you like.

And if you throw it on the grill, don't overcook it. No more than medium rare.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:34 AM   #3
Rob96
Got Wood.

Dust it up with so m e blackened seasonings, get a cast iron pan nice and hot on the grill. Give it a good crust on both sides.
Rob96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
hurricanedavid
is one Smokin' Farker

I love to cedar plank grill or cast iron cook fresh salmon.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

Skin side down on the grill with Montreal steak seasoning

Cook until pink and still moist - Don't flip

Skin may stick to the grates but that is fine.

Learned this at a fishing lodge in Nootka Sound BC
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you don't like it traditionally cooked, and don't trust it raw from the Great Lakes (I personally don't), Google "candied smoked salmon nuggets". You can also add some bourbon to the glaze. It's different enough from traditional smoked salmon that you'd likely enjoy it.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Take a whole Salmon side and rub it with a light coat of Olive Oil and your favorite seasonings. Get your grill really hot and lay it flesh side down on the front of your grill with the belly towards you on the grill for 90 seconds or so depending on how hot a fire.

You will need two large spatulas (one in each hand) which you will gently insert under the belly meat and roll the salmon fillet over to the skin side and let it cook for another minute or so. You can use a fork to pull back a section of meat to see how rare it is inside and pull to your liking keeping in mind that it will continue to cook after removing from the grill.

Use the same two spatulas to insert under the skin side and gently remove the entire fillet and place on a sheet tray. You can slice off sections or pull with a fork. I LOVE Salmon Fish Tacos made this way.

Good luck!
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

With fresh salmon I am in the skin side down, no flip camp, grill to just a bit past medium rare. Been there for 30 years. There are a million ways to season it. One I like is coat it with a very thin bit of mayo or olive oil, S&P, a little garlic, maybe some chili powder or cumin, and the zest of one orange on it.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well, I guess by now you have figured out there are many ways to cook salmon, and all of them are good. I agree with cooking skin side down over a medium to medium low fire (or a raised grate if you can pull that off), and I'm fine with simpler seasonings. I never turn my fillets. Just watch the internal temperature, it will start to week albumen around 130° and be done when the thicker areas reach 140°. If you wait until the thicker section is flaky, it is overdone. The tail will be a bit more done, which some people prefer, and the belly strip will be slightly fattier, which some like also.

Let us know how it turned out.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
JJJBBQ
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : J

Dry brine in a healthy amount of brown sugar and salt for a couple hours. Lay some dill and lemon slices on it. Smoke on a cedar plank.
Uuni 3 Pizza Oven
22” Blackstone
Arteflame
JJJBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #11
blake
Full Fledged Farker

teriyaki and pineapple juice, as soon as one layer sets, glaze again (and again)

Old 07-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #12
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

We do cedar plank salmon and it is delicious.
We use this recipient from Allrecipes https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/10...lanked-salmon/

My wife makes a creamy dill sauce that goes great with the salmon.

Chris

Old 07-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #13
OlyQ
Full Fledged Farker

if you like sousvide then go for it !
*Da-Fridge-Smoker
*BlackStone Pizza Oven
OlyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #14
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Ended up telling him to freeze it for a week to take the worry out cause I think 140 on salmon is way to high for my liking. I ended up doing a paella instead on the weber to take the heat outside. It turned out great (sorry no socarrat pic but it was there). My wife and her sister that went to Spain 8 months ago said it was so much better than what they had there so I'd call it a success. Chicken, chorizo, shrimp, and mussels with some grilled lemons.

Last edited by CakeM1x; 07-14-2019 at 11:35 PM..
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #15
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeM1x View Post
Ended up telling him to freeze it for a week to take the worry out cause I think 140 on salmon is way to high for my liking. I ended up doing a paella instead on the weber to take the heat outside. It turned out great (sorry no socarrat pic but it was there). My wife and her sister that went to Spain 8 months ago said it was so much better than what they had there so I'd call it a success.
Plan B with the paella looks pretty good. Let us know how the upcoming salmon cook comes out. BTW, tell your buddy to pick up a freezer thermometer. 7 days at -4 is required to kill the parasites. 10 days gives you a little insurance. Most home freezers struggle to get 0°, so it's a good idea to check.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->