MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:39 PM   #16
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I'm glad to see Dizzy getting upvotes, Chris is an ambassador to barbecue.
I have been a big fan ever since I learned about them on the OLD BGE forum.I met him in person a few times at the Eggfests back in the day.Soild dude,solid products.He and his company make some REALLY great rubs.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-13-2019, 09:58 PM   #17
SeenRed
Full Fledged Farker

For brisket, it’s Black Ops
For chicken, Kosmos Dirty Bird

Red
SeenRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-13-2019, 11:03 PM   #18
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

For me, it's between Bone Sucking Sauce and Three Little Pigs Kansas City Championship. Those are my two favorite commercial rubs.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:54 PM   #19
boogiechillen
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Charles

Have tried oakridge’s blacks ops and spogos, and while both are good, I really really dug spogos. Glad I got a big bag of it in that recent sale.
Weber Genesis
Weber Jumbo Joe
Homemade UDS
boogiechillen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2019, 12:27 AM   #20
sudsandswine

Actually I just realized my favorite for chicken based on frequency of use and versatility is Oakridge BBQ Smokey Chile Lime. So I’m going with that for chicken. Great on wings for people with a heat tolerance somewhere far below Habanero Death Dust and Crucible, but also works great on chicken for stir fry or tacos.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:47 PM   #21
Melrod59
Knows what a fatty is.

Thank you, Everybody!!!
Melrod59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2019, 10:24 PM   #22
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Actually I just realized my favorite for chicken based on frequency of use and versatility is Oakridge BBQ Smokey Chile Lime. So I’m going with that for chicken. Great on wings for people with a heat tolerance somewhere far below Habanero Death Dust and Crucible, but also works great on chicken for stir fry or tacos.
Any chance you could compare HDD and Crucible? I don't do much with spicy, but I tend to cook for those that do.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2019, 06:22 AM   #23
Lahawk1
Full Fledged Farker

I usually use Rudy's Rub on beef or chicken. Yesterday I did a brisket with Bovine Bold and must say it was really good. It may become my new beef go to rub.
Lahawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2019, 06:26 AM   #24
sudsandswine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
Any chance you could compare HDD and Crucible? I don't do much with spicy, but I tend to cook for those that do.
Been a bit since I’ve had Crucible, but the biggest difference I recall was the flavor the pepper introduces to the mix. It’s a bit hotter, too. If you can stand that level of heat, I think Crucible is my favorite between the two.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #25
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Been liking Meat Church rubs a lot lately.

Brisket: Meat Church Holy Cow https://www.meatchurch.com/collectio...y-cow-meat-rub

Chicken: Meat Church Deez Nuts Honey Pecan https://www.meatchurch.com/collectio...nuts-pecan-rub

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2019, 11:17 PM   #26
checkrd past
Full Fledged Farker

for chicken I've been using Everglades rubs and people have been making a lot of compliments on it
checkrd past is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #27
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

I used to do to everything under the sun to my briskets from layers of rubs, injections, spritz mixes etc. I finally tried 50/50 sea salt/ coarse black pepper. Smoke with post oak and spritz with water if needed. They are the best dam briskets I've ever made.

Everywhere I turn now people recommend Black Ops. I get a new smoker in a couple months with the capacity to do a few briskets at once. I am really looking forward to a few actual head to head comparisons. I'm thinking a three way comp between tried and true S/P, vs Black Ops and SPOGOS. Can't wait to eat the results!

Last edited by robertm; 12-16-2019 at 04:10 PM..
robertm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2019, 05:55 AM   #28
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Been a bit since I’ve had Crucible, but the biggest difference I recall was the flavor the pepper introduces to the mix. It’s a bit hotter, too. If you can stand that level of heat, I think Crucible is my favorite between the two.
Been a while for me too. I prefer HDD but it’s more based on the heat level than flavor. Crucible is hot enough for me that I can’t really use enough to get the flavor. With HDD I can use enough to enjoy the flavor without burning myself out.

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2019, 06:08 AM   #29
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

suckle busters 1836 for beef, the clucker is good also but they have another bird flavor I haven't found to try yet.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:48 AM   #30
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Brisket: another vote for BlackOps
Chicken: depends on what part of the chicken I'm making. Whole-> Plowboys Yardbird, thighs to be pulled-> Kosmos Hot Dirty Bird, wings->Oakridge Chile Lime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
Crucible heat level is much higher than HDD. I like the flavor a lot but like somebody mentions, to get the most of the flavor, you need to use plenty which will be to hot for most people. I think HDD is a tad sweeter and combines very well with other rubs to add some heat.