MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Default Pit Barrel Cooker Price Increase

Received an email the other day stating there will be a $50 price increase on January 1 for the PBC. Does anybody know if they are making changes to it? The email references "the new PBC".

LAST CHANCE

To order the PBC for only $299.99! Whether it's for yourself, a neighbor, or your loved one, now is the time to buy a PBC! The price of the PBC has not increased in over five years. We want to continue to make improvements and ensure it is the BEST product it can be! We always want the best experience and the best quality for our customers. On January 1, 2020, the new PBC price will be $349.99.
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Interesting. The price of steel has gone up, they already moved to a cheaper manufacturing process. Guess this is the next logical step.

With people paying double for Hunsaker and Gateway it’s still cheap.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thanks for the heads up. Not too surprising. I'm sure his costs are up.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Stupid tariffs taking effect, steel prices going up, we Americans are paying for it.

Last edited by Zin; 12-13-2019 at 06:51 PM..
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zin View Post
Stupid tariffs taking effect, steel prices going up, we Americans are paying for it.

Best economy ever! Just don’t ask anyone who makes less than $75k a year.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #6
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Best economy ever! Just don’t ask anyone who makes less than $75k a year.
Plenty of money here in South Texas.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #7
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
Received an email the other day stating there will be a $50 price increase on January 1 for the PBC. Does anybody know if they are making changes to it? The email references "the new PBC".

LAST CHANCE

To order the PBC for only $299.99! Whether it's for yourself, a neighbor, or your loved one, now is the time to buy a PBC! The price of the PBC has not increased in over five years. We want to continue to make improvements and ensure it is the BEST product it can be! We always want the best experience and the best quality for our customers. On January 1, 2020, the new PBC price will be $349.99.
I've seen a Pit Barrel up close, the quality is very good including the coating.... and the price, which I believe includes shipping, is a good value. I can understand the increase. $50 is the price of a brisket, so easy to justify, and any buyers remorse goes away after the first cook.

Quote:
That's how tariffs work, the US importer pays the duty, and the consumer pays a higher price to offset that. The impact to the foreign country (or exporter) is felt when the consumer demand shifts to another product.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #8
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Hmm didn’t realize I wandered into N&P

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-13-2019, 09:59 PM   #9
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

It seems like the price of everything is going up these days. I picked up a french dip combo from Arbys last week and they took the title to my car. Joking aside, I should've picked up a PBC years ago. Looks like I've shot myself in the foot.
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019, 10:46 PM   #10
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

I can't help but think that the Chinese tarrifs are possibly driving the price increase, as that's where they're manufactured, last I knew. Either that or their margins have taken a hit for whatever reason.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019, 11:30 PM   #11
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I agree... But, you are buying American steel. Trust me... When $hit hits the fan some day (maybe not in our life time) you'll be happy to know that we have thriving steel companies making "stuff" for our military. Smart move. I don't care if you are Left or Right.
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2019, 04:18 AM   #12
Lawnguy
Babbling Farker

Actually we are NOT paying more for anything. Import prices have been dropping for the last 2 years and continue to do so. Not rising. Even as everyone in the media and the financial world was hoping and predicting and trying to convince everyone that they were going to pay for Orange Man Bad trade policies.

The opposite has been and continues to happen as China devalues its currency.

Please don't inject MSM talking points into a discussion that you know NOTHING about.

PBC are raising prices......because they WANT to..not because they have to.

I can back up what I say with charts and data if needed.

Carry on...
Lawnguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #13
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Market forces will dictate whether the price increase is a good idea or not.

Off-shoring our economy is a whole different topic and it goes far beyond just PRICE. I'm not so concerned with dependence on the European economies but, Mid-East and Asian economies are really just fair-weather friends which puts us at risk if things go bad.

Regarding PBC, when it is all said and done, shipping most of the alternatives is almost a third of the price of a PBC. ~$50 won't really change their market position relative to everyone else.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #14
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Build a UDS

https://howtobbqright.com/udssmoker.html

Always wanted to type that, and while there is a tad of sideways sarcasm- I’ve always thought the UDS with Big Poppa Kit were really nice machines.

Last edited by 16Adams; 12-14-2019 at 10:52 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #15
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnguy View Post
Actually we are NOT paying more for anything. Import prices have been dropping for the last 2 years and continue to do so. Not rising. Even as everyone in the media and the financial world was hoping and predicting and trying to convince everyone that they were going to pay for Orange Man Bad trade policies.

The opposite has been and continues to happen as China devalues its currency.

Please don't inject MSM talking points into a discussion that you know NOTHING about.

PBC are raising prices......because they WANT to..not because they have to.

I can back up what I say with charts and data if needed.

Carry on...
You don't know anything about his labor costs and overhead so how can you possibly say they are raising prices just because they want to? The guy hasn't taken a price increase in five years and you're bashing him? In my business labor alone is up 8% over the last two years, not to mention insurance, transportation costs, advertising, etc. It's not just the cost of the raw materials he sources, but everything else needed to run a company and get the product into a box.
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill

Last edited by Bacchus2b; 12-14-2019 at 11:11 AM..
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote