MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Cherrywood
On the road to being a farker

Default Wild Game Cooking?

Newbie here. I've been cruising the site and soaking in all of the info I can. What a great site you have here.

I'm an avid bowhunter and always looking for new ways to use the meat. Just curious if anyone has some ideas/recipes for smoking wild game, particularly venison. Thanks in advance for your help.

I've done a fair amount of summer sausage, bacon, jerky, etc... Here's a few examples. (please pardon the gas smoker )

venison summer sausage wiith hot pepper cheese
Sausage2.jpg

Sausage1.jpg

venison bacon (ground & formed)
IMG_1768[1].jpg

IMG_1773[1].jpg
Cherrywood is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Those Both Look Good !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Here's a post from me from awhile back. Did up a back strap.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=148663

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

With larger deer, elk, and moose roasts I have smoked them and pulled them with a little tweak on the "chuckie" technique. Many folks on this board do beef chuck roasts by smoking until the roast hits 160 and then foiling with broth until it hits 200 or is probe tender, rest it in a cooler for a bit and then pulling. I have also done it until the meat is 190 and still "sliceable" and then I serve the meat slices in warm seasoned broth.

Back to the wild game, you can make either sliceable or pulled venison by smoking until 140-150. Then foil with broth. I like to cook at 300-350 on my kettle with pecan, hickory, oak, or cherry, then when the meat hits 140 or so I foil with seasoned broth. If I want sliceable I take it off at 190 or so. If I want pulled I go to 200 and then rest in a cooler for an hour or so and then pull. I then add back some seasoned broth to help flavor it and then serve.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Cherrywood

Great looking backstrap. Thank you sir!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Hey there, Summer Sausage looks great Throw Craisins in and thats what I was smoking this weekend.

Garlic,Pepperjack,Craisin Summer

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
With larger deer, elk, and moose roasts I have smoked them and pulled them with a little tweak on the "chuckie" technique. Many folks on this board do beef chuck roasts by smoking until the roast hits 160 and then foiling with broth until it hits 200 or is probe tender, rest it in a cooler for a bit and then pulling. I have also done it until the meat is 190 and still "sliceable" and then I serve the meat slices in warm seasoned broth.

Back to the wild game, you can make either sliceable or pulled venison by smoking until 140-150. Then foil with broth. I like to cook at 300-350 on my kettle with pecan, hickory, oak, or cherry, then when the meat hits 140 or so I foil with seasoned broth. If I want sliceable I take it off at 190 or so. If I want pulled I go to 200 and then rest in a cooler for an hour or so and then pull. I then add back some seasoned broth to help flavor it and then serve.
Too lean for pulled.

YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine

Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
Here's a post from me from awhile back. Did up a back strap.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=148663
That strap looks incredible. Well done!

YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine

Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
Too lean for pulled.
Says you. I have done it over a dozen times and have been very pleased with the results. Have you tried it? I think the moisture really helps. Fattier cuts don't need the foiling/moisture addition because of their fat. How many thousands of hunters do venison roasts in the crock pot that fall apart? This is doing something similar in a moist environment but adding smoke for flavor early on.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
Big slick
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Wild Game Cooking?

Never attempted to smoke deer. I treat deer like a steak. Sear and serve sort of meat. I suppose I should try smoking it, but when you only have so much, you hate to take a chance at wasting any of it.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Here are a couple things I've done with my venison...

Backstrap - stuffed with feta cheese, wrapped in bacon

Finished product...

Link to the venison pastrami I made (using Cowgirls recipe/method) - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=149115

Another thing that I've done that I don't have pictures of is take a couple of the inner tenderloins, season them with your favorite rub (these days it is 3 Eyz BBQ for me) and toss them on the smoker for 20 minutes or so, just enough to get some smoke flavor on them. Once they have taken on some smoke, toss them on a hot grill to sear just a minute or two on either side. Let rest, slice and enough. The last time I did this I used cherry for the smoke wood and everyone loved it.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
Cherrywood

Some great ideas out there, keep 'em comin! I tend to treat the backstraps like steak; season & sear on high heat. My kids prefer venison to beef.

I have some friends that have smoked whole shoulders or hams for pulled. Never tried it myself, but they rave about it.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Cherrywood - I'm with you on the backstraps. When I cook a whole backstrap wrapped in bacon like I pictured above, I often cut myself some nice steaks to go with it and cook them hot and fast.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
Says you. I have done it over a dozen times and have been very pleased with the results. Have you tried it? I think the moisture really helps. Fattier cuts don't need the foiling/moisture addition because of their fat. How many thousands of hunters do venison roasts in the crock pot that fall apart? This is doing something similar in a moist environment but adding smoke for flavor early on.

Im sure when you want pulled pork, you buy a pork loin too. I dont like using any of the fat from deer. Glad you have success with pulled venison. Just not my prefered way of cooking it.

YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine

Old 02-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
Too lean for pulled.
I have to back up Grain on this one. I've done numerous venision roasts in the crock pot over night and they literally full apart in the morning. I've never cooked one on the smoker, but have great success with doing it in the crock pot with peperoncini and Italian seasoning.

Very similar to shredded beef and just as great on a bun.