MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

That harbor freight generator says it's 96db which is twice as loud as a Honda 3000. I'd be prepared to piss some people off if you run it during the night. You might want to look at some quieter options and something that isn't a 2 stroke.

I don't think I'd buy any cheap generators. I heard lots of good about the Predators from harbor freight until I cooked a contest at 5500 feet elevation and everyone who brought a predator generator couldn't get them to run at elevation. If I were you I'd just spend the money on a small Honda generator. Quality pays for itself in the long run.

Last edited by tduffy; 01-23-2019 at 10:35 AM..
tduffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #17
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
That harbor freight generator says it's 96db which is twice as loud as a Honda 3000. I'd be prepared to piss some people off if you run it during the night. You might want to look at some quieter options and something that isn't a 2 stroke.

I don't think I'd buy any cheap generators. I heard lots of good about the Predators from harbor freight until I cooked a contest at 5500 feet elevation and everyone who brought a predator generator couldn't get them to run at elevation. If I were you I'd just spend the money on a small Honda generator. Quality pays for itself in the long run.
Now if only I could convince my wife to be ok with it.
I think I will just leave the harbor freight one at home for emergency power outages.
I would love a Honda but my wife sees Honda prices and I will be in the dog house lol. In my situation I can live without a generator and compete. So not a big deal. I looked at that one from lowes that I posted a link to because I might be able to convince my wife of that one.
For me a generator for competition is a luxury not a necessity. We don't use a guru or other stoker.
I do need a generator for winter because of what happened back in Nov. We lost power for 3 days. The cheap one fits for emergency use. I am just going to leave it at home.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #18
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

There is always the option of building yourself a nicer dog house.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #19
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
Now if only I could convince my wife to be ok with it.
I think I will just leave the harbor freight one at home for emergency power outages.
I would love a Honda but my wife sees Honda prices and I will be in the dog house lol. In my situation I can live without a generator and compete. So not a big deal. I looked at that one from lowes that I posted a link to because I might be able to convince my wife of that one.
For me a generator for competition is a luxury not a necessity. We don't use a guru or other stoker.
I do need a generator for winter because of what happened back in Nov. We lost power for 3 days. The cheap one fits for emergency use. I am just going to leave it at home.
you could always run things that don't require much power at a comp with an inverter attached to a battery. You can do that for a relatively low cost.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #20
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

You can thank me later. This will accomplish two things: 1) comp lighting, and 2) include the entire family in the fun

https://www.amazon.com/WONO-Children...enerator&psc=1

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #21
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
They did not inform me it was rv hookups.
No, but they likely did say they offered 30A. If you are going to use comp power, you have to be prepared for 20A, 30A, or even 50A. That and a couple hundred feet of cord. Be prepared!!

Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #22
bpeyton89
Full Fledged Farker

Don't bring anything that isn't a whisper quite inverter/ generator to a comp. Key word is Inverter. costco sells these little suitcasae ones with a Yamaha engine. Very good value

https://www.costco.com/A-IPower-1600...100343958.html
bpeyton89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #23
BoneDaddy's
Take a breath!

I am not sure how the rest of the country works but all comps in New England offer electric. We keep a few different adaptors in our travel kit just in case they are offering 30/50 amp, they are cheap on amazon. Many teams use a battery backup for their controllers as comp power can be unreliable. I can say I really never see folks wheeling out a large generator because they are not very friendly!

My advise, always ask the comp organizer about electric ahead of time if you are unsure of the situation!

Old 01-24-2019, 09:51 AM   #24
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanton View Post
No, but they likely did say they offered 30A. If you are going to use comp power, you have to be prepared for 20A, 30A, or even 50A. That and a couple hundred feet of cord. Be prepared!!
Yep! I carry a full set of adapters, 75' of 30A cord and 150' of 20A, and I have had to use every inch of it a couple of times

One note: Don't get cheap cords! The voltage drop in a 100', 16ga cord is enough to damage equipment. 12ga is a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDaddy's View Post
I am not sure how the rest of the country works but all comps in New England offer electric.
We have two local competitions that don't provide power, but both are very open about that, but even so, some folks showed up unprepared

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #25
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
You can thank me later. This will accomplish two things: 1) comp lighting, and 2) include the entire family in the fun

https://www.amazon.com/WONO-Children...enerator&psc=1
This is it!
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #26
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

man I guess I have been very lucky. Never had any comps that didn't have power provided and I've never had any power outages. I've had a few water issues and with a water cooker, that wasn't good. lol
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote