Mongolian BBQ

TravelingJ

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Always on the hunt for something different for get togethers, this past week we tried our own version of the Mongolian BBQ. The idea was that everyone could bring one or two things to add to the spread, and we would have a huge variety. Sadly, many people 'forgot' their dish or just didn't bring anything at all. The buffet ended up being put together by about 4 of us. I dug the meat slicer out of storage and and we ended up with 5 gallon sized ziplocks filled with beef, chicken, and pork! We also had a slew of veggies and every stir-fry sauce I could find at the store. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, so hopefully next time there is a bit more participation!

Attachments

• Mongolian-Spread.jpg
    Mongolian-Spread.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 271
  • Mongolian-Grills.jpg
    Mongolian-Grills.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 272
Nope. My brother-in-law and I were doing the cooking. People would bring out a bowl with a clothespin that they wrote their name on. We would dump the bowl on the griddle and dispose of it, and put the clip near their food. When it was done, we would scoop it into a clean bowl and add their clip back.

Sadly, it was getting a bit cold for this activity. It would be more fun if people were eating outside and milling around while we cooked, instead of running back inside to stay warm.

Very nice. I love the idea as well. I might have to try that.

You're absolutely right though that relying on others to bring anything critical is always a gamble. My wife gets pissed at me "feeding the neighborhood", but I figure this is my hobby so oh well.

Very nice. I love the idea as well. I might have to try that.

You're absolutely right though that relying on others to bring anything critical is always a gamble. My wife gets pissed at me "feeding the neighborhood", but I figure this is my hobby so oh well.

Yep, we go rounds on that. "You don't need to bring that much food" Yes, I actually do.

The sauces that I had bought, turned out to be more "pour on after cooking" as opposed to the cooking sauces I remembered from the restaurants. I haven't been to one of the restaurants in ages, so I'm not sure how I'd change that. I remember something about adding a few ladles and mixing..

Overall, it was great and I'm looking forward to doing it again when it's warmer.

Very cool idea. I could see us doing that now too once late spring hits. I have no problem supplying everything but, when others are supposed to pitch in yes, it does get frustrating. Like the saying goes, if you want something done right...

Back