• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anyone own a moberg backyard?

ECB

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just wondering. Saw him post them a while back but haven't seen anyone with one in the real world. I'm guessing this is due to the price/size?

It was the price vs size debate as well as price vs a fully custom pit for me when I bought my Backline competition pit. Purely paying for the name on his backyard pit I think. Saying that, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on to cook with and try it out. I enjoy checking out his smokers on Instagram.

It was the price vs size debate as well as price vs a fully custom pit for me when I bought my Backline competition pit. Purely paying for the name on his backyard pit I think. Saying that, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on to cook with and try it out. I enjoy checking out his smokers on Instagram.

Ya man. I'm really close to dropping a deposit with Ryan. But still have moberg and milscale on my mind. I know you understand the struggle ��

I'd like to know more about it, also.

Figured we would have seen at least one person get one by now. ��

Figured we would have seen at least one person get one by now. ��

And we've not heard from a Franklin pit owner either.

To my recollection, we had one guy with a Mill Scale Model 94, but he disappeared after telling us he bought it.

And we've only heard from one Workhorse 1975 owner.

I don't know what to make of this .

Those smaller pits like Mill Scale and Franklin will require pretty small splits to actually cook with convective airflow. They are nice, but I think the convective cooking area is actually rather small. It's just always a focus on "even temps."

I didn't even notice it was your thread at first ECB lol. :doh:

And we've not heard from a Franklin pit owner either.

To my recollection, we had one guy with a Mill Scale Model 94, but he disappeared after telling us he bought it.

The workhorse/primitive claim to fame is proper convection and even Temps based on the science/cfd. I have no idea if in the real world that means anything.

Would love to see more feedback.

Those smaller pits like Mill Scale and Franklin will require pretty small splits to actually cook with convective airflow. They are nice, but I think the convective cooking area is actually rather small. It's just always a focus on "even temps."

I didn't even notice it was your thread at first ECB lol. :doh:
Ya. Analysis paralysis 😂

You think the minimum size for proper convection is like the backline or moberg size?

Only thing I wish Ryan did was kept the pipe inside the firebox on the backyard/comp sizes. Really like the round firebox.

I’m going to order one this week and will give my thoughts when I get it. Said to be mid February

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can you expand on what you mean hear. Is thetr anmeither/or relationship with convection/even temps that is somehow dependant on cooker size?

Thanks in advance
Phad

I’m going to order one this week and will give my thoughts when I get it. Said to be mid February

You keeping the m1?

You keeping the m1?

Yes I’ll keep it and see how things go. I really have a hankering for a straight flow Texas style offset and the workhorse checks all my boxes I think. Not too bad of a wait time either which is big for me. No way I can do a 12-24-36 month wait:)

I really have a hankering for a straight flow Texas style offset

This is my exact dilemma. Lol I just have a strong desire for one.

The moberg and backline both could be done had by spring which isn't too bad.

The workhorse seems pretty hard to beat for the price tbh.

Considering the cost and wait time I'd opt for another good pit for the backyard. Those mobergs are awesome but they really shine on their larger pits.

Considering the cost and wait time I'd opt for another good pit for the backyard. Those mobergs are awesome but they really shine on their larger pits.

Seems like their wait is on par with an lsg right now. But the cost is definitely more.

I am really considering ordering one of these myself. I know Ny Que has a 1975, and I have seen a thread on the two smaller units, so they are starting to get out there. They had been talking about adding a shelf and some new wheels, so I have been holding off hoping for some info on these.

gtsum, If you talk to them can you inquire about the front shelf availability? It might be an option now, just not listed on the website. Thanks.

Can you expand on what you mean hear. Is thetr anmeither/or relationship with convection/even temps that is somehow dependant on cooker size?

Thanks in advance
Phad

This, IMO, is the guts of the issue.

I thought I was getting good even cooking on my OC Brazos because my Tel Trus on both ends were very close, until I did a biscuit test and I was really surprised. Looking at top of biscuits, heating appeared even. But the bottoms of biscuits at FB end were burned.

I've since done maybe 8 or 9 biscuit tests trying to keep mostly the same parameters , such as cook time and cook temp , and then changing one thing on every test. I used tuning plates. Tuning plates in different configurations. I've made a 2 ft stack extension out of duct pipe and I've done tests with it on and off.

And the basics results were that I just moved the hot spot around, although the hot spot was less hot with some configurations.

And this cooker is very much a bottom up cooker. IMO, the baffle makes it worse.

So yeah, these small offsets, my Brazos is 20 X 40 , maybe don't offer a lot of convection. My cooking grate is 36" and in reality, I'm only gonna use the 18" on the stack end.

A 48" cook chamber would be better. Although, Franklin's pit is 42" , but he has collector on the stack which would create more length.

This, IMO, is the guts of the issue.

I thought I was getting good even cooking on my OC Brazos because my Tel Trus on both ends were very close, until I did a biscuit test and I was really surprised. Looking at top of biscuits, heating appeared even. But the bottoms of biscuits at FB end were burned.

I've since done maybe 8 or 9 biscuit tests trying to keep mostly the same parameters , such as cook time and cook temp , and then changing one thing on every test. I used tuning plates. Tuning plates in different configurations. I've made a 2 ft stack extension out of duct pipe and I've done tests with it on and off.

And the basics results were that I just moved the hot spot around, although the hot spot was less hot with some configurations.

And this cooker is very much a bottom up cooker. IMO, the baffle makes it worse.

So yeah, these small offsets, my Brazos is 20 X 40 , maybe don't offer a lot of convection. My cooking grate is 36" and in reality, I'm only gonna use the 18" on the stack end.

A 48" cook chamber would be better. Although, Franklin's pit is 42" , but he has collector on the stack which would create more length.

Would moving to a 24 inch pipe help in this case?

And thanks for the explanation!

Not that I could tell. The hot spot moved end to end, instead of side to side. I kinda think a narrower pipe improves the air flow.

The side by the door was always cooler than the back side. When I started, my door was leaking badly on lower corner, stack end. And the coolest spot was that corner of the grate.

I put clamps on the lower corners and used RTV sealant for gaskets, and that solved all the leaking. The biscuits along the door side were more done, but still not as done as the rest. The cool spot in the stack corner went away.

I most usually had a build up of heat in the back side corner on the stack end. A collector would eliminate that.

Extending the stack 2 foot, definitely improved the draw. It moved the hot spot from FB end to stack end.

I think it's more complex than just pipe size. Stack size, the way the stack is shaped(ie some neck down, some use a manifold) firebox size, throat from firebox to chamber size and shape etc

Not to mention id wager biscuits create far less turbulence. If you have things like butts or briskets you'll create more turbulence and convection.

Looking at the mill scale they have a baffle on the right side of the cook chamber that I'm sure disperses smoke/heat and creates turbulence.

Yeah, I would love to see a close up shot of the inside of a mil scale cooker.

Back