• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

ABT's were the BOMB! MOINK Balls were a BUST!

Pantseatflyer

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I had a small get together at the house tonight and decided to fire up the UDS and try my hand at ABT's and MOINK balls at the same time!

Being a ABT and MOINK ball virgin, I carefully wore gloves while prepping the jalapeños. I loaded up the Philadelphia cream cheese, a Bryan's little smokie and wrapped up with a thin slice of bacon, secured with toothpick and sprinkled on the dry rub and loaded them up on the grill.

With generic Wally World frozen meatballs (thawed slightly) and bacon. I prepped them as well and loaded them up on the same grill.

An hour and a half later, I checked them and the ABT's were PERFECT! The MOINK balls well.....let's just say a little on the dry side....so dry...I couldn't even choke one down.

I should have pulled the MOINK balls sooner and I need a new thermometer for the UDS. I'm using my old Brinkman therm which has a very short probe and I'm afraid I'm not getting an accurate drum reading.

Next mods on the UDS... Turkey thermometer... Larger fire basket (diameter) I'm afraid my smaller diameter fire basket is concentrating the heat too much to the center.

With all that being said... the ABT's were a big hit! None survived the culinary onslaught! I'll be making those again! MOINK balls on the other hand... :icon_sick

warninglabel_norco.jpg

Sheesh... Can't a brother take a another brother's word?

Okay... for those of you 'pictorially challenged' Q'ers out there...

I present to you in all it's hideous glory my overcooked MOINK...

3639005622_8ea243cf37.jpg

Yep, they look a bit on the dried out and crispy side... Might have been able to rescue them with some pepper-jelly glaze.

Thinking the same - a glaze would have worked wonders on those... pepper-jelly, roasted raspberry chipotle, even pineapple preserves... don't give up on the MOINK!

You first mistake is plain as can be,
You used wally's meatballs!!!!!

An hour and a half... at what temp?
They look good to me and I agree with the others,
use a glaze.
Also, throw the bacon in the wave for a minute or so before ya wrap the balls.
Makes all the difference. Really.

Weiser

Sheesh... Can't a brother take a another brother's word?

Okay... for those of you 'pictorially challenged' Q'ers out there...

I present to you in all it's hideous glory my overcooked MOINK...

3639005622_8ea243cf37.jpg

I had the ABT's and MOINK balls on the same grill.

I'm afraid my therm is out of kilter. It is a recycled therm from my old Brinkman. It has a real short probe and I'm afraid that I am about 30 degrees hotter than the therm.

Going to get a Turkey Fryer therm (if I can find one this time of year) and replace my current therm. I plan on modding a stainless bolt by drilling a hole through it and use it to place the Turkey Fryer therm.

Still tweaking the UDS

Back