• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A very Tri Tip kind of Day!

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
It’s been a while since I last cooked anything let alone posted a cook. Sorry for that but life is just very busy and hectic for us these days. It’s also been a while since I’ve had Tri Tip and it recently went on sale, so I picked up this 3.79 lb. behemoth.

I took it out of the package and trimmed it up a little.

I them minced some fresh Rosemary from my garden.

I rubbed it down with some Worcestershire sauce, then some fresh ground salt, some fresh ground black pepper, some steak seasoning and finally the minced Rosemary.

I wrapped this up in plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 6 hours. I then made up some Tzatziki with I also let rest in the fridge for 6 hours.

Around 4:00 I started prepping the Redhead for the cook. I started by spreading a layer of red oak chunks in the bottom of the Vortex ring.

Around 5:00 I lit up a chimney of lump and poured it over the oak chunks. I place the Tri Tip off to the side and let it slowly come up to an I.T. of 113 degrees.

I then took it off and loosely tented it with foil. I then opened up the vents and let the Vortex go nuclear! (Here a pic without the flash so you can see it)

I then placed the Tri Tip on the CI grate for 3 minutes per side.

I then brought this in and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

While that was happening I sliced up some veggies.

I then sliced the Tri Tip in half along the seam where the grain chances direction.

I then thinly sliced each half across the grain.

OH YUM!

I had purchased some nice Pita bread so I made a Tri Tip Pita sandwich.

Delicious!

Last edited:
All of a sudden I want Tri Tip. Stellar as usual Jeff! :clap2:

All of a sudden I want Tri Tip. Stellar as usual Jeff! :clap2:

Thank you*Sako. One of the best things about cooking a Tri Tip are the left overs for sandwiches. This one was huge so I'm set for leftover Tri Tip for a few weeks.

Back