• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Kettle fried Nashville hot chicken?

qposner

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am having friends over later this week and wanted to make kettle fried Nashville hot chicken if that is even possible. All of the recipes I have found require deep frying and using some of the oil for the hot slurry. Has anyone tried to make a kettle fried version? If so, any advice and/or recipe suggestions? Thanks!

Start with regular kettle fried chicken. Most hot chicken places use a base of non-spicy chicken with nicely seasoned flour. The spice is a post cook application.

To me, you need the oil or some type of fat mixed with spices to achieve the real taste. If you use hot sauce as a base it's a buffalo wing. You could heat oil in a sauce pan and make the slurry . A few places do just a rub, not as good as oil based but closer to the real deal than a hot sauce base.

I picked up a bag of KosmosQ Nashville Hot Chicken Wing Dust to do what you are talking about but haven't had a chance to do it yet. I would find a thread on smoker fried chicken and then incorporate the Nashville hot chicken flavor into it.

I am having friends over later this week and wanted to make kettle fried Nashville hot chicken if that is even possible. All of the recipes I have found require deep frying and using some of the oil for the hot slurry. Has anyone tried to make a kettle fried version? If so, any advice and/or recipe suggestions? Thanks!

I use a version of this one.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/nashville-style-hot-chicken-sandwich-2788842

Just cook the chicken on the kettle and use fresh veg or canola oil to make the sauce. I usually bread the chicken and place on a rack to dry a bit to set the coating. This helps with the crispiness.

Put the oil in a good size pot because it will foam up a good bit when you add the spices.

This is better than some of the chicken I have had in Nashville but it is pretty hot, so beware.

I use a version of this one.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/nashville-style-hot-chicken-sandwich-2788842

Just cook the chicken on the kettle and use fresh veg or canola oil to make the sauce. I usually bread the chicken and place on a rack to dry a bit to set the coating. This helps with the crispiness.

Put the oil in a good size pot because it will foam up a good bit when you add the spices.

This is better than some of the chicken I have had in Nashville but it is pretty hot, so beware.

Looks great! Thank you!

Back