MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
bonehead762
Full Fledged Farker

Default Bad taste from ThermoWorks...

Chatted with ThermoWorks Rep about purchasing a third Smoke unit. I already own two Smokes and Two Thermopens. Really didn't like the way he responded to my question about swapping out the air probe for a regular food probe. I have two already and would have absolutely no need for a third air probe. Totally useless. However, after the chat rep was finished I called the company directly and asked but was again told that they wouldn't do the swap.

I really resent being forced to buy a product that duplicates (or triplicates) a part of the tool set. I can justify have a second, back up, air probe but not a third. It would just sit and never ever ever get used. I'm rethinking my relationship with ThermoWorks very hard...

Seems like the amount of sales that are generated from sites/forums like these would behoove them to allow the option of swapping accessories.

Anyone care to swap a new ThermoWorks air probe for a food probe?

Last edited by bonehead762; 01-31-2018 at 04:32 PM..
bonehead762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
leapfrog505
Found some matches.

I agree. I guess that's another check mark I can put towards thinking about a fireboard. I have 1 smoke now.
leapfrog505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2018, 05:13 PM   #3
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

They should offer the option of probes with each unit they sell.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
bonehead762
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapfrog505 View Post
I agree. I guess that's another check mark I can put towards thinking about a fireboard. I have 1 smoke now.
Thanks for the idea. I just sent Fireboard a message with some specific questions regarding connectivity. I look forward to hearing back from them.

Too bad for ThermoWorks.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:55 PM   #5
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

While i dont see the big deal may be you could buy ala carte? After you buy each part individual it most likely would cost more.

Do they sell individual proves?

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2018, 09:50 PM   #6
tom b

I hear ya but I simply did what the Ninja suggested and bought another meat probe $16

Old 01-31-2018, 10:08 PM   #7
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

me too, they had high temp probes on sale during the Holidays, I stocked up
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2018, 10:19 PM   #8
McSpazatron
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
They should offer the option of probes with each unit they sell.
Kind of agree. It would be nice if they offered a bit of flexibility on that, especially if they can tell that they have a repeat customer for the same unit.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:31 AM   #9
One Drop
On the road to being a farker

I think they are pretty reasonable in their response, especially since extra probes are cheap and you can easily sell or swap one one you won't be using. Maybe not ideal for you, but they have to think of the desires of the majority of customers and how and who they are marketing the product.

I have worked for a lot of different companies that sell to the public directly and indirectly, and these decisions are a lot harder than you may realise - can you imagine requiring all your stockists to carry double the stock to offer this option?

Please don't be angry at the rep for being honest, he could have just said he'll run it by the company knowing full well they have decided against this, or agreed with you while criticising the company itself, or just made up some bogus reason, all things I've seen pretty often, as bizarre as it seems.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:01 AM   #10
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

You can’t mass produce and package a product for resale and swap out parts. I assume they have these manufactured a few thousand at a time.

I love their products. Love the Smoke
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2018, 06:28 AM   #11
Pocchampion
Full Fledged Farker

Their service has been outstanding for me. When I recd a timer that was doa they immediately put a new one in the mail no questions asked. I have purchased a dozen different products for myself and as gifts.

It’s a thermometer produced in mass, not a custom made item. If it was custom made, it would cost significantly more. The response you rec’d was appropriate and in line with any mass produced product. Visit an assembly line and see how it works.

Your post title is what is really mis leading and unfortunate.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #12
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead762 View Post
However, after the chat rep was finished I called the company directly and asked but was again told that they wouldn't do the swap.
Not surprising in the least, and kudos to ThermoWorks for being consistent in their response. I can think of many off-the-shelf items that don't do a mix and match. I don't call up Samsung to buy a phone and ask "hey could you leave the charger out, because I already have 352,435,218,681 of them" -- I'd be laughed off the phone.

Mass produced items don't work that way. Now that's not to say it wouldn't be more convenient for the consumer, but it would likely would increase the cost of the item because they'd have to custom-stuff each order. Ever compare the prices of an a la carte meal vs. a prix fixe meal? Yeah. Consumer choice is always more expensive.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #13
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If it was separate packaging, I could see this differently, but what you asked was not something that's really doable IMO. The unit comes prepackaged, everything in the box. Expecting that they open your product and change out pieces before shipping is just not something any company would do. The fact that the rep took the time to look into it and they called you back with an answer is really above and beyond normal customer service. if you want something that's not on the menu, you should be realistic about your expectations. In this case, it would cost you a few extra dollars to buy an additional probe. Does the product not work? Did they offer something they didn't follow through on? Was the service poor? No. They just can't modify their base product to some other configuration that is convenient to you. Doesn't really seem like they did anything worthy of being bashed on a public forum.

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #14
KevinJ

Just goes to show you, even a great company like ThermoWorks can't please everybody.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-01-2018, 08:01 AM   #15
barrettd
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead762 View Post
Thanks for the idea. I just sent Fireboard a message with some specific questions regarding connectivity. I look forward to hearing back from them.

Too bad for ThermoWorks.
When I emailed Fireboard a question about using Smoke probes, I was told they should work, but they don't really advertise it because they can't control Smoke changing their probes. Regardless, the Smoke comes with a few probes, so I'd think you'd be OK either way. I'm a Smoke guy, but the Gateway performance has been so abysmal I'm wanting to get a Fireboard.
barrettd is offline   Reply With Quote