MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
Estol Riddle
On the road to being a farker

Default Reynolds Wrap

Last 4-6 rolls of heavy duty wrap has been crap. Did not buy them all at one time but over a few months period. Tears very easily.
Is it my bad luck or is anyone else experiencing this?

Old 04-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

I buy the Kirkland Costco brand. It's labeled "food service foil" and is 18"x500'. I don't remember what it costs. It tears good at the box and is very tough. I've never had a problem with it.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:54 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I also buy the commercial rolls, it holds up well, even when shaping around meat for the rest period. As you see below, not all foils of the same type are the same thickness.

Reynolds Kitchens claims that standard aluminum foil is best used for tasks such as covering food dishes, wrapping sandwiches or vegetables and reheating already cooked items in the oven. Standard, or regular, aluminum foil is thinner than heavy-duty aluminum foil and will not withstand high heats and heavy weights as well as heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Standard Duty Aluminum Foil - Most standard duty aluminum foil rolls are economical foil rolls for commercial and home use. Home use standard duty foil rolls are often between 75 ft. and 250 ft. long, offered in a variety of widths. The majority of foil rolls labeled as "Standard Duty" are between .0004 thick and .0007 thick. Which at best is slightly over or one half of a mil in thickness. Some users prefer a thin pliable foil for a variety of home use and commercial needs. Most standard duty or economy foils are often much more affordable than heavy duty or extra heavy duty foils. Some users do not prefer the standard duty foils because of easy tearing and burning when baking.

Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil -
By far the most common aluminum foil used for home and commercial use. Most home users buy 75 ft. rolls of Reynolds aluminum foil or a comparable brand for home use. Heavy duty foil provides extra strength and tear resistance. Many cooks use it for baking, grilling, and storage. Most Aluminum foil rolls labeled "Heavy Duty" are between .0008 thick and .001 thick. The extra three thousandths of an inch makes a big difference for a variety of applications.

Extra Heavy Duty Foil - A harder thickness to find, but some manufacturers do produce extra heavy duty foil. It provides excellent tear resistance and works well with everything the heavy duty and the standard foil is used for. Most aluminum foil labeled "Extra Heavy Duty" are between .0011 thick and .0016 thick.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote