Other great resources for our first competition?

mcda0010

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Newbie here. My dad and I have been backyard barbequing as long as I can remember and we’re finally considering coming over to the dark side, and entering our first competition this year.

We found a smaller competition in our area that looks good, but we want to do it right and make sure we’re making the best BBQ we can make, so we’re trying to get our ducks in a row before entering. We are doing it for fun as a father son type deal, but we don’t want to drop a bunch of money and end up disappointed, confused, or upset like many of the first timers in the posts I’ve read.

BBQ Brethren has been a huge help in getting ready so far. I was hoping some of you experienced folks would point us in the right direction, to make sure we aren’t forgetting something, or overlooking a great resource. Here’s what we’ve done so far to prepare:

1) Took a class at our local BBQ store
2) Read through a bunch of old forum posts about competing for the first time.
3) Timed our cooks and made a tentative schedule of when things should go on, and the temperature and estimated time they should be done
4) Signed up for a KCBS CBJ class so we have an idea of what they’re looking for
5) Pulled together a list of things to bring, based on a bunch of people’s lists we found online
6) Found some examples of good blind boxes for the meats we will be competing in
7) Watched a TON of YouTube clips to get a feel for other people’s techniques.

I’m sure there are other things we can do, and other sources (good books, websites, etc.) we should check out. Can you point us in the right direction?

If it's a KCBS competition don't forget about box build times! They can be a pain if you're going putting green style!

Looks like you've got a good plan! Good luck to you and your Dad!!

Check out the book "Startin' A Fire". It's a good book!

Looks as if you have all of the basis covered. Other than that, lay down some goals. Our goals for our first comp was to make all of our turn ins on time and not to finish DAL. Go get 'em!

I like the How to BBQ Right site and youtube clips, great insight on how to trim and prep everything. Also, I'd recommend going to another local contest just to talk to some of the teams or see if there is a team looking for any help with an upcoming contest.

Most importantly, have fun and enjoy meeting new people.

Where are you competing first?

3) Timed our cooks and made a tentative schedule of when things should go on, and the temperature and estimated time they should be done

5) Pulled together a list of things to bring, based on a bunch of people’s lists we found online

These are good things, but you need to put them to the test before you get on site. Do a full mock competition on the driveway or back yard. Set up exactly as you plan to at the competition, cook everything to the competition turn in times including building boxes, etc. Keep track of anything that you need to get from the house and add it to your list.

As far as #3 goes, you need to not just depend on how long the meat has cooked, and its temperature, but how the meat "feels." i.e. probes, and how the tenderness feels. Especially brisket, pork, and ribs.

I would also go hang out at a contest or two, on turn in day, and watch what goes on. If you get your CBJ, I would also go and judge a contest so you will get to taste what people are turning in.

I would also go hang out at a contest or two, on turn in day, and watch what goes on. If you get your CBJ, I would also go and judge a contest so you will get to taste what people are turning in.
Excellent! idea, There are quite a few in our area and it would be an excuse to go! Would Friday be the best time to stop by when the teams would be most likely to talk? I don't want to bug anybody during crunch time.

I'd say go a step further and do a practice cook away from your house. Go to a park or something and try your entire cook on the actual timeline. Barring that, make sure you do your practice cook at the actual time you'll be doing the competition. Our mid day practices sure went a lot smoother than when we got up at 4am on game day. I just think there's a lot of value in practicing under the same conditions as you will be competing.

Well I would go both days. Day 1, teams would have more time to talk. Day 2, you can probably get to taste some samples.

When I first started, I went on Day 2, so I could check out how people set up their camps, what kind of gear they had beyond the smokers, talk to judges, see if I could get some samples, and to just watch what went on. I'm a visual learner, so it's how I learn best, as opposed to books, and listening.

You might also ask the contest organizer of the contest your first cooking at to put you next to an experienced team that would be willing to mentor you during your first contest. We do that up here in the NW with new teams to make sure they get through the contest and have a positive first experience.

We always run our practice cooks on the same timeline that we'll be working on during a competition; it puts your mind in the same frame it will be at a competition (even if it's 2am). Also, make sure you consider your set up and sleeping arrangements ahead of time. Sleep is important even if it's in a zero gravity chair!

Just remember to have fun too! It can get very competitive and disappointing at times, but if you remember to have fun it'll make every competition worth it. We have made some really amazing friends through competitive BBQ by just putting ourselves out there to be social with a bunch of strangers...it makes it all worth it!

Find yourself some good friends to share the ride (and the expenses!). After 12 years of competing, that's what I look back on and value even more than the cooking

As others have said, do a full mock comp in your driveway or backyard. As part of this, load up your truck and/or trailer to ensure everything fits. Work your times as if it were an actual comp, complete with wash, rinse, and sanitize station and hand washing station. Keep an ink pen handy so you can add or subtract from you list.

Have fun!

Back