MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:12 AM   #46
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Great discussion guys. I'm learning a lot. Better to know these things up front than to have to try to catch up later.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:28 AM   #47
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I just got off the phone with our Health Department and here is what I understand:

1. If I am going to be doing food that is delivered, I need a commisary or my catering rig approved by a plan checker prior to competion of the rig. They want a chance to pre-approve my specs. Health permit is needed.

2. If I am going to be doing on-site food preparation for private functions I do not need a Health Permit.

No matter which route I go, I will still want to have a sanitation certifcate, million dollars of liability insurance and business license for the appropriate city I am working in.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #48
beam boys bbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorbusters View Post
Jeff, I have gone through this vicious circle for about 4 years now. If you are preparing food on site, and not delivering, you do not need any insurance or catering license. I have a Blue Springs Business license (just in case) and a $1,000,000 umbrella policy that covers me for whatever some dumbass wants to sue me for. The umbrella is fairly inexpensive when grouped with home and 3 autos, roughly $20 per month. As I have told my wife on numerous occasions, absolutely noone has EVER gotten sick eating my food, (she made me get the umbrella anyway)!

this is why i have became LLC if some dum ass wants to sue me the only thing that he can get is the business of beam boys bbq witch is the money in the business bank account and my bbq trailer that is it my house cars and boat are not part of the business

and i also have an insurance policy for 27 dollers an year on the trailer and contents

with this policy and the helth dept i can only cater 12 times an year that is more than i want to do anyway

york
beam boys bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #49
butts
Full Fledged Farker

We just did an onsite vend and competition last weekend in North Carolina. The requirements were pretty basic; hand washing station, triple sinks for washing pots and pans, bleach spray bottles, warmers and coolers and just a general knowlege of food saftey was required (food thermometers also). All food had to be prepared onsite or in a restaurant as well. The event went very smooth without much trouble. Most of my experiences have gone well as long as you have a good understanding of food safety and make sure you have the proper permits. We just happened to win the Grand Championship as well, just a little bonus to go along with good sales.
7' X 14' enclosed trailer
ButtsandBreastts BBQ
Facebook: Butts and Breastts
butts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #50
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

A) Congratulations!!!

B) Some Questions:

- What did you vend, in what quantity?
- Do you know how many customers you had?
- Can you estinmate the labor, dedicated or part time, required to handle patrons?
- what did you use to mee tthe hand wash station?

Quote:
Originally Posted by butts View Post
We just did an onsite vend and competition last weekend in North Carolina. The requirements were pretty basic; hand washing station, triple sinks for washing pots and pans, bleach spray bottles, warmers and coolers and just a general knowlege of food saftey was required (food thermometers also). All food had to be prepared onsite or in a restaurant as well. The event went very smooth without much trouble. Most of my experiences have gone well as long as you have a good understanding of food safety and make sure you have the proper permits. We just happened to win the Grand Championship as well, just a little bonus to go along with good sales.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #51
Tar River BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Hows the rules in Va. ?

I live in Virginia any info ????
Tar River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #52
McClung
is one Smokin' Farker

WA requires a reviewable plan that lists your fixed facility for food prep, which can not be your home kitchen. There are several "commercial kitchens" for vendors where you can pay an hourly rate or monthly dues in the area.

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]The Good One Model 30/24P
UDS
Smoke and Thistle Competition Barbecue Team
1Lazy1 Brand, A Texas Original
Lifetime member Displaced Texans
[/SIZE]
[I]THE SPICY FAIRY ROCKS![/I]
[/FONT][/B]
McClung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #53
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClung View Post
WA requires a reviewable plan that lists your fixed facility for food prep, which can not be your home kitchen. There are several "commercial kitchens" for vendors where you can pay an hourly rate or monthly dues in the area.
Speaking of which...did you fax yours in for this weekend?
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #54
McClung
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes sir, sent it in Friday. You and Brian gets yours sent in? That was kinda nuts that you have to do it regardless of vending.

UDS
[/SIZE]
[I]THE SPICY FAIRY ROCKS![/I]
[/FONT][/B]
McClung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #55
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClung View Post
Yes sir, sent it in Friday. You and Brian gets yours sent in? That was kinda nuts that you have to do it regardless of vending.

Crock o' chit IMO!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #56
McClung
is one Smokin' Farker

I was trying to be nice about it

UDS