MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #1
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Default Wedding cater job

I have a customer who loves my BBQ. I haven't done big events but he really wants me to cook brisket and pulled pork for his daughters wedding, for 150 people.He is having chicken as well and sides.

I was thinking a 1/4 pound of finished product for pork and brisket.
Does that sound about right?

He also wants me to serve the brisket and pulled pork, figuring it will go further.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
HDCTX
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : 10502 Spice Ridge Row

I think four ounces of finished meat per guest sounds a little light. I haven't done any catering, but I worked in the restaurant business for 20 years. We served steak to about 140 at our own wedding, and I think the minimum portions were 8 ounces. And I would definitely add chicken to the mix, both to hold down costs and for guests looking for a lighter meal. There will probably be 80 women there, wearing dresses tighter than everyday wear..
HDCTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCTX View Post
I think four ounces of finished meat per guest sounds a little light. I haven't done any catering, but I worked in the restaurant business for 20 years. We served steak to about 140 at our own wedding, and I think the minimum portions were 8 ounces. And I would definitely add chicken to the mix, both to hold down costs and for guests looking for a lighter meal. There will probably be 80 women there, wearing dresses tighter than everyday wear..
Yea he is definitely having chicken and I was planning on 4 oz each of brisket and pulled pork. I told him I don't cater and know that stuff, so you let me know if you want more and I'll cook more. He said that should be good. I wanted to put on him and not make the call on how much.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

8 oz of brisket/pork, plus chicken and sides will be more than most people will eat. Make sure you have a plan for what to do with all the leftovers and the ability to safely store them.

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
8 oz of brisket/pork, plus chicken and sides will be more than most people will eat. Make sure you have a plan for what to do with all the leftovers and the ability to safely store them.
1/3 lb cooked, along with sides and chicken, should be a generous portion for a hungry adult male. I generally get ~35% yield with a traditional smoke method.

That's not assuming 1 beef / 1 pork sandwich per, but one or the other. BBQ restaurant owner friend said up in these parts, people tend to go for pork about 2/3 over 1/3 beef. Worked out when I tried it.

Disclaimer: amateur here; the above is based on cooking for 35-40 people a couple of times.

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:03 PM   #6
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

We usually do 4oz of each meat and 3.5oz sides. For 150 people we will use 8 whole 12lb briskets that once cooked will yield only 6lbs. I generally tell my clients 1 brisket will feed 20 people. Thinbluesmokery.com is my company
Old 01-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
That's what I was thinking. If I ate piece of chicken and had a 4 oz of brisket and a sides I would be done. I planned on cooking six - 13.5 pounds brisket and maybe like eight - 9 pound butts. I wonder if I should tell him to scale back. He is hoping for some left over brisket.

Thanks, really hard to judge since I never cooked for so many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
We usually do 4oz of each meat and 3.5oz sides. For 150 people we will use 8 whole 12lb briskets that once cooked will yield only 6lbs. I generally tell my clients 1 brisket will feed 20 people. Thinbluesmokery.com is my company
So my amounts I commented to Mike, may be way to much?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #8
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsperk View Post
That's what I was thinking. If I ate piece of chicken and had a 4 oz of brisket and a sides I would be done. I planned on cooking six - 13.5 pounds brisket and maybe like eight - 9 pound butts. I wonder if I should tell him to scale back. He is hoping for some left over brisket.

Thanks, really hard to judge since I never cooked for so many people.

So my amounts I commented to Mike, may be way to much?
Yes you will be tossing a bunch of food in the trash. See of you can get a head count for people that would actually want chicken and only cook that amount. If you shread pork with one of this pork things that go on a drill it goes so far. I would feel good with 6 butts and 8 12# briskets both meat will yield half.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #9
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Best thing to do would be to ask for guests to select their protein similar to what you see on a wedding invitation. Let them know they can choose two if desired. Then calculate your raw weights from there.

Assume 4 oz servings, and 50% yield, so you need 1/2# raw protein per finished serving. A case of brisket from Restaurant Depot averages 70# (5 - 14# briskets), so 1 case of brisket will yield 140 4 oz servings.

A case of butts averages 56#, so 1 case will yield 112 4 oz servings. Keep in mind that this math only works if you practice strict portion control. Otherwise you will get several guys who will load 2# of brisket on their plate and you will run short and look like the bad guy.

If you are serving pork and brisket sammiches, you can go with 3 oz servings, making your protein go a little further.

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #10
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Thank you all for the input. I appreciate it.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:05 PM   #11
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Carl

So, by my calculations, if serving 1/3lb of brisket and 1/3lb of pulled pork you will need 82.5lbs of raw brisket at 60% yield. You will need 99lbs of raw pork butts at 50% yield. Is you neighbor also paying for fuel/wood, rubs, injections, foil/pans, time? you don't want to sell yourself short.
Weber Performer, Weber kettle red, Dual Weber Kettle table gold, UDS, East Texas Smoker RK250, Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, GMG Trek, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:09 AM   #12
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig_Farmer View Post
So, by my calculations, if serving 1/3lb of brisket and 1/3lb of pulled pork you will need 82.5lbs of raw brisket at 60% yield. You will need 99lbs of raw pork butts at 50% yield. Is you neighbor also paying for fuel/wood, rubs, injections, foil/pans, time? you don't want to sell yourself short.
I wish we would get 60% yield on briskets.
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #13
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

This seems kind of like a "back yard" wedding to me. I wouldn't even think to ask about the proteins. Around here, brisket will go just as fast, if not faster than pulled pork. I'd go with the 1/4lb each per person.

One other thing I'd consider is that if this is somewhat of a "one off" for you, go ahead and cook an extra brisket and butt. Great to have it on hand, and charge him for either if you use them, but if not used, take home, bag, freeze and have it for yourself. Consider it to be piggy backing, which is something I often do. I mean, if I'm being paid to cook 5 briskets for someone else, why not cook an extra one for myself at the same time ?
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #14
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
This seems kind of like a "back yard" wedding to me. I wouldn't even think to ask about the proteins. Around here, brisket will go just as fast, if not faster than pulled pork. I'd go with the 1/4lb each per person.

One other thing I'd consider is that if this is somewhat of a "one off" for you, go ahead and cook an extra brisket and butt. Great to have it on hand, and charge him for either if you use them, but if not used, take home, bag, freeze and have it for yourself. Consider it to be piggy backing, which is something I often do. I mean, if I'm being paid to cook 5 briskets for someone else, why not cook an extra one for myself at the same time ?
I do that just about every time. Sometimes if I don't feel like freezing it I've got a couple of customers I know I can call that are always up for a few pounds of brisket.