Is you grill dirtier than a toilet seat?

Tbro

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My brother said he got sick once by cooking on a grill that wasn’t cleaned? I don’t clean my grill grates down to the metal but I brush most of the grates clean and remove any loose particles. I can see how there could be germs/bacteria on portions of the grill that don’t always get exposed to high enough temperatures.
I found this article, that’s kind of interesting.

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19519126/your-grill-is-dirtier-than-a-toilet-seat/

The part about poisoning your guests has got me thinking.

What do you folks think, is it an issue?

Not even Grilling 101. The article is just dumbed-down common sense with a "Shocking" headline. Basically a degree removed from clickbait.

People are much more likely to get sick from undercooked poultry on a clean grill.

Hell no.
"finds a new British study." (Highly questionable)
And it is a lot hotter than a toilet seat. So anything alive on mine gets the cooties burned out of it.
Besides that, I always pre-heat my grill (gas) before putting the meat on it.
Got to love the utter crap some people post to the Internet (NOT you, them).
Some of this junk is to gather hits.

And who puts BBQ sauce on RAW meat? I get a sear going on mine, then paint a thin layer that gets burnt on as I turn my que every 10 minutes.

PhD. More paper than brains.

Last edited:
Why do you ask???

RimV8h3l.jpg

The only time my grates are not stabilized well over 165 before food hits them is when I cold smoke and I don’t cold smoke directly on the grates for other reasons.

Did you ask him if it was due to all that ****ty food on there?? :razz:

Seriously...it could happen. Brush them off when they are still hot and heat them before use.

I agree with the posters who say that your grill grates get sanitized by the pre-heat or heat used to cook. I'm in the boat on that.

On the other hand over the years I have come to appreciate a "clean machine". I try pretty hard to make sure my grilling surface(s) are as clean as I can make them just so the folks who may wander over before a cook can see there's "nothing to see here" as far as food safety goes.

This is a topic I have often wanted to hear a wide range of opinions on. I'm glad to see most of the opinions are right where I think is a good idea.

Hmmm maybe this explains why I never hear from folks after I invite them for BBQ, it's like they cease to exists. :wink:

All joking aside, if I use the same toilet brush for both my grill and toilet they have to be equally clean right??

Totally disproves that article.
66ab2f43ba9a635e9283a92de711e377.jpg

Back