Off set stick burner vs H2O smoke flavor

cperkin2

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking to replace my pellet smoker with something that will give me more smoke flavor.

I have read that the offset stick burners are very good at producing good smoke flavor. How does an H2O cabinet style smoker (ie Backwoods Chubby 3400, Redbox (thinking the Redbox would be good for camping) compare to the stick burner with regards to the flavor?

I cook a little bit of everything - pork butt, spare ribs, beef short ribs, chicken, turkey, brisket.

Thanks

I had a Spicewine Ironworks cabinet smoker with a massive water pan...well over 5 gallons. It produced a great smoke flavor which was close to what I get on my stickburner, but still a bit lighter. If I had to quantify it I'd say a water smoker will give you about 80-90% of the flavor I would get from my stickburner.

This really depends on airflow and how you're running your charcoal as well. I'd start my charcoal about 3-4 hours before I put the food on. This would give a chance to get a good source of heat which would burn the wood chunks pretty efficiently. I would also make sure that I was getting thin, blue smoke coming out the exhaust stacks before I put the food on.

Overall I loved my cabinet smoker, but I've since moved back to an offset and I really do enjoy both the flavor and the process.

I have a Meadow Creek BX 50 H2O smoker and the steam, mixed with the smoke from the lower fire box always gives a great smoke flavor.
I have found it to be comparitable to a stick burner for flavor but it also keeps the meat from drying out and needing a spritzing or mopping for moisture.
You might look at their BX25, a smaller version but the same quality of smoker.

Back