WSM Brisket

Piggysquealers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Brethren, This is my first cooking post since joining. Here we go
I started with a 15lb packer brisket and trimmed all the fat from the bottom and all the fat from the point half of the top for burnt ends. I then rubbed it overnight.
DSC_0681.jpg

The next picture is of my WSM 22 start up method. I put a chimney in the middle of the bottom grate and light it. When the top coals start getting white I leave the chimney in its place and pour unlit coals around it. When charcoals are at the top of the ring I remove the lit chimney and pour the white coals into the middle void left by the chimney. *Don't pour the unlit in until the very end or it will also light, leaving you with an inferno. I do not put any wood chunks on until immediately after I put the meat on, so I don't have face-fulls of smoke while I am messing with the meat and thermos.

DSC_0678.jpg

Finally, this last picture is of the dome thermo next to my iPad hooked up to the iGrill. This shows how the dome thermometer is usually at least 30-50 degrees lower than the actual temp at the grate.

DSC_0680.jpg

I will put another picture up when I wrap before bedtime. 8 more weeks until my Stumps Stretch ships..... it feels like a decade away.

I really like that chimney trick. I normally pour a full ring in my 18.5 WSM then hand fill the chimney depending on what I'm smoking.

For the 18.5 WSM, I put an old metal coffee can upside down in the middle of the ring and dump the unlit coals around it, remove the can and dump the lit ones in. The chimney fits in the ring, but not the middle like it does in the 22.

Looking forward to your finished brisket pics!

DSC_0682.jpg

4.5 hours of smoke and she's ready for foil, well... I'm ready for bed. I hope I don't get woken up by the low pit temp alarm...:pray:

Hmm. I've never done that with the chimney either. Brilliant! :p

This got weird. This was a 15lb packer (I trimmed at least a pound of fat off) And I had my iGrill hooked up for the long night. At 0230 the alarm goes off, I figure its the pit temp low- but to my surprise the meat is done!? 205 in the point measured by the iGrill and a thermoworks pocket digital.. So that would mean 7.5 hour cook? Maybe the fact that this was a Select grade made the cook go faster (no fat to render)? I foiled at 4.5 hours but I don't think that would usually cut that much time off? I put the pan in the kitchen and covered it with towels. At 9 am the temp was 125.

DSC_0688.jpg

I'm just not sure what happened, I could have added more chunks to the WSM, but I was writing a paper and missed one of the hourly additions. Overall its ok, but I definitely have more questions than answers after this one.

Was it probe tender in the thickest part of the flat? Something about that pic says its not done. Were the slices tender?

That is odd... I have heard that Wagyu cooks faster because it has a higher fat content so I would think it would be the opposite on select.... How'd it turn out?

in the end it was OK.. You can see where the temp probe was in the first picture and I stuck it with the pocket digital when I dazily pulled the meat off at o dark thirty. I put it in the thickest part of the point. It also passed the pull test (little resistance, but seperates) The burnt ends are currently cooking and they look like they will be good. 7.5 hours though?

4.5 hours seems early to foil for a brisket that size. What was the internal temp at that point? I had a similar size brisket on my WSM 22.5 on Saturday, at 250 degrees as well. Total cook took around 16 hours (including foiling after around 12 hours).

I didn't take the temp when I foiled it, maybe that was where I messed up? It was 1130pm and I wanted to get in bed. I wonder if this one was flatter than normal or something? I was planning on it being done at 6 or 7 and resting it until an early lunch at 10. I am new to Oklahoma and briskets (butts were king in SC.) I guess I should have not foiled it so early

in the end it was OK.. You can see where the temp probe was in the first picture and I stuck it with the pocket digital when I dazily pulled the meat off at o dark thirty. I put it in the thickest part of the point. It also passed the pull test (little resistance, but seperates) The burnt ends are currently cooking and they look like they will be good. 7.5 hours though?

Sorry, but I have always read that probe goes in the thickest part of the FLAT!
Am I wrong?

Question- when you foiled it, did you add any beef broth or vinegar or anything like that? Adding liquids of some kind will do wonders to help tenderize your meat.

Also, the 250 temp seems to me to be the reason why it was done so quick. Cook it around 220-230 and it'll take a bit longer.

4.5 hours is fine for foiling. When I foil I put it in a pan then foil, never add liquids. It's usually done within a few hours after that. So yours could of been done, but there is some fat in your pics that doesn't look rendered. If you are gonna temp your brisket, temp in the middle of the flat, not the point. Check for tenderness in the thickest part of the flat too. I highly recommend cooking the packer whole and not doing any overnight cooks with brisket until you get fairly comfortable with your timing. Good luck!

Back