UDS Grate Thermometer

JimF

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What brand of grate thermometer is recommended? I assume the $5 grill replacement thermometers isnt going cut it.

Also, whats the pros and cons of using something like a permanent probe thermometer at the grate level?

I used a cheap but accurate turkey frying thermometer. I did the drilled bolt mod and it can slide in and out for charcoal basket removal. Works great. In the first pic I pulled it out a little to show slide through bolt. The second pick shows how it sits when smoking.

utf-8BSU1BRzAzODcuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAzOTEuanBn.jpg

You need one with a probe that extends at least to the middle of the grate. I have a turkey fryer one on the bottom grate and Ashcroft industrial style i got off ebay on the top one.

Looks like a turkey fryer with Bolt Mod is the way to go. Thanks guys!

Looks like a turkey fryer with Bolt Mod is the way to go. Thanks guys!
Get one with a hex where the probe enters the dial. They can be calibrated in boiling water by turning the hex until it reads correctly.

When looking at thermometers grab a handfull and pick the one that does not read higher or lower then the others. Check in ice water for 32* and boiling water for proper temp. At my altitude and barometric pressure its about 208*.

Back