High Plains Gambas al Ajillo - w/ PR0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Non-BBQ Thread, folks.

Had the chance to pick up some Gulf shrimp caught on Tuesday morning around the Emerald Coast of FL. All sizes.. head on... $6.59/lb. SOLD!

Packed 'em in ice and threw them in my cooler in the back of the bird for last night's ride to the barn.

Momma asked for a dish we've craved since we last visited Krefeld, Germany... Gambas al Ajillo.

Here's the recipe I followed:

INGREDIENTS
1 pound large raw shrimp
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
4-6 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon spanish smoked paprika
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
salt
pepper
chopped parsley for garnish (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
Add butter, olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes to a saute pan and heat over medium heat.
Saute for about 1 minute or until garlic becomes fragrant, being careful not to burn it.
Add the paprika, lemon juice and shrimp and saute for 2-3 minutes, until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
Season with salt and pepper, and pour shrimp and oil into serving dish. Top with parsley if desired and serve with crusty bread for dipping.

Admin Note: We did the above, but added some John Henry's Mojave Garlic rub for a bit more garlic (can you blame us?), and a little more heat. This was PERFECT.

Instead of just bread, the Portuguese in Krefeld used to serve these with a side of fries... and, oh, my Lord.. they were off-the-hook good! We did same same... fries dipped in garlic butter with a bit of spice/heat... Uhm, yes please!

JCbbmhhh.jpg

UeTaa67h.jpg

W297nNuh.jpg

No vampires 'round our place tonight.

That looks killer, Marc! :thumb:

Shell-on shrimp have tons of extra flavor and the recipe reads as delicious..saved it. :-D

I can see fries soaking in this as fantastic. :-D

Shell-on shrimp have tons of extra flavor and the recipe reads as delicious..saved it. :-D

Cheers, John.

I over-do-it on the garlic (is that possible?)... and under-do-it on the olive oil vs. butter ratio by about 1/2. Seemed to work out tops.

We added a bit more lemon juice, then hit the lot with the John Henry Mojave Garlic... as we were really searching for that base-level flavor before hitting the high notes. The JH MG was perfect. Nailed it. That's as close as I've come to what we enjoyed about... (Oh, God....) 13 years ago in Germany.

Uncle Sam's given us a breather. Y'all have a wonderful weekend.

Thin blue and fair weather!
Shadow / Marc

Cheers, John.

I over-do-it on the garlic (is that possible?)... and under-do-it on the olive oil vs. butter ratio by about 1/2. Seemed to work out tops.

No such thing as overdoing garlic. My wife and I are garlic fiends. :-D

Enjoy your down time, Marc! :-D

Back