MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Comp trailer AC question

Getting ready to order my trailer and was wondering what brand and model of rooftop ac unit everyone has, any problems with them, and suggestions as to the brand to spec. What they have priced is Dometic Durotherm. I have read some pretty bad reviews on this unit, but it doesn't look like there are many choices.
Don't need really big, I think 13,500 btu is spec'd. I plan on having ceiling and walls insulated.
All suggestions and thoughts are appreciated.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Nordy
On the road to being a farker

I have a Coleman Mach 15,000 BTU in my 7x15 v-nose trailer... usually it keeps it really cold... Last summer I cooked a contest where is was 108-112 degrees outside... inside the insulated trailer was about 82 degrees... not too bad

Down side of the 15000 BTU is technically a Honda eu3000 generator isn't rated to be able to start it. (but I know a bunch of people who have never had a problem) But a Honda eu3000 genny is rated to start a 13500 BTU unit... I don't have any problems running my 15000BTU on a yamaha 3000iesb with boost....
Nordy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Hadn't thought about the generator issue. The generator I take is a 2300 watt JD. I 'll have to check that issue.
I looked at Coleman Mach III. Supposedly less draw, 11.5 amp instead of 15.
Thanks.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

I have 2 Coleman Mach's on my RV. Both are 15k units, and I can run either of them on my Honda EU300is generator. Certainly I can't run both, but I can run one and a few other items without the generator maxing out. I don't know how much else you would need to run in your competition trailer. I know I can't run my fridge and AC at the same time, I have to put the fridge on propane power instead of generator juice. Your biggest issue with a generator and an AC, is the startup takes a lot more amps than just running it.

That said, I did a lot of research before I bought the 2nd AC for our coach, and the people that made the rig even said that you can't go wrong with Coleman or Dometic. The negative reviews I ran into seemed to be more for the low profile units vs the full-size setups.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

I installed a Dometic Brisk Air 13.5 on my 8.5ftx20ft (8.5x12 enclosed area) this past spring. It ran fine all summer and kept my uninsulated comp trailer area nice and cool. I wired it so that I run an extension cord directly to it's power plug and it runs off of the 20A power normally provided by the comp...it also runs off of my Generac GP3250 without problem.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for help. Think I will go with Coleman Mach III Power Saver. Draws a couple amps less.