16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
1. Fajitas are made from beef
2. Burnt ends are made from beef
3. Fattys are made from breakfast sausage
4. Real bbq has a kiss of mesquite, if not always-mostways

1. Fajitas are made from beef: Beef is king, but chicken and shrimp are always welcome to join
2. Burnt ends are made from beef: Agreed
3. Fattys are made from breakfast sausage Semi agree, but I think an italian sausage fatty is still a fatty
A kiss of hickory here in the midwest. No mesquite in this area, so whatever is a strong flavored native would qualifies as real barbecue for me

Mod Note: Text colors adjusted

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot a big one. There’s a Texas magazine that covers BBQ article recently out on this. I don’t subscribe but the limited comments I saw were getting good

5.Pork Belly “burnt ends” were invented in Texas.

I'll try my hand at this one. :pop2:

1. Fajitas are made from beef

YES! Thank you for saying this. What in the heck is a chicken fajita? Or, heaven forbid, a "veggie fajita" (yes, i've seen that before)? Someone referring to a non-beef item as a "fajita" really boils my crawfish to an extent ALMOST equal to being invited to a "barbecue" consisting of grilled hot dogs (yes, that has happened before as well).

2. Burnt ends are made from beef

Eh, I'm a bit more flexible on this but you're probably technically correct. Sometimes when I accidentally overcook rib tips/trimmings, I'll chop them up with a little sauce and tell folks that the "burnt ends" are ready for nibbling on.

3. Fattys are made from breakfast sausage

I don't have a big dog in this fight, since I have yet to make a fatty (I know, I know). But, I'll go along with you on this one.

This is probably the only one I'll disagree with. This is a long spiel, so buckle up. :biggrin1: I'm in a part of the state where Oak (specifically red/white/live oak) is the most readily available fire wood due to it growing native here...but mesquite can be found growing native just a short drive away, so it is largely available as well. Personally, I have used oak as the primary wood in EVERY SINGLE one of my smoke sessions. I've never used any other base wood. However, I will, in 99 percent of cases, normally add a little bit of mesquite, and in fact do usually use mesquite to establish my initial coal bed before adding oak splits for the remainder of the cook. I'll also (rarely) throw in some pecan as well. But for grilling, it is mesquite all the way. Briquettes/lump mixed with mesquite chunks is hands down my go-to for indirect/direct grill sessions.

So, in summary:

In practice, I agree with you Adams, as I nearly almost always use mesquite in the offset and literally ALWAYS use it on the grill. I would even go so far as to say that real Texas bbq always has a kiss of mesquite to it. But, I have had mesquite-less meat smoked entirely with hickory/pecan/apple/etc that was quite tasty as well, and therefore have to leave a bit of room for those who either don't have mesquite readily available or those who do (but for some silly reason) decide not to utilize it. FIN. :becky:

Mod Note: text colors adjusted

Last edited by a moderator:
Eloquently...

:nono:If I may say, good chap, it is a shame to set a regulatory discrimination towards the fine art of barbecuing. You would be taken back to know that in the world of sophisticated barbecue things:

You ain't got no frickin clue what BBQ really is...bro! :heh:

Last edited:
Mod Note:

Gang, please refrain from using red text! Per our rules, certain colors are reserved for the forum admin and moderators so their posts can easily be identified.

I have adjusted the text colors above.

Color codes in member names mean something.

GOLD/RED is the forum Admin and our Founder/Owner. Badger and BBQChef33 respectively.

RED or GOLD text denotes Administrators posting in official capacity and NOT as a member.

Green are our moderators. They enforce our rules and ensure our forum remains a family friendly atmosphere. Green text denotes moderators posting in official capacity and NOT as a member.

1. Fajitas are made from beef - RIGHT
2. Burnt ends are made from beef - RIGHT
3. Fattys are made from breakfast sausage - NO OPINION
4. Real bbq has a kiss of mesquite, if not always-mostways - DO NOT AGREE, TOO MANY GREAT AND AUTHENTIC STYLES THAT DO NOT INCLUDE MESQUITE

Just my $0.02

All correct except for the Mesquite thing, although I do use Mesquite lump quite a bit, I subscribe to the Oak faction. If I could get Oak around here, I would use Oak all the time, but there is precious little Oak to be had. So because of availability I do use Mesquite and Pecan. I really do prefer the smokey goodness that Oak imparts to meat.

Convince yourself.

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams

Clearly you see that pecan and oak can also play as critical a role as mesquite.

I also seem to remember one of the sages of this forum who used to say ‘Any wood is fine, as long as it’s cherry.’ EDIT see here. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20240

QED

Last edited:
On a road trip yesterday watched as the manure spreaders out in full force were working their trade. It’s always kind of intrigued me how the manure in a feedlot gets loaded on a cool looking truck then BS is spread over fields.

Kind of like claiming to have invented something in BBQ. BS is strong in this world. Sort of like post#1

I would respectfully:

Comment on #3 that BBQ Brethren member "Bigdog" was the one that gave a smoked sausage log it's now famous name. Early on they were made with breakfast sausage, but Italian does come in a log, so I'll call you "mostly right" on that statement.

Disagree with #4 in that mesquite is a requirement when cooking barbecue.

And very respectfully suggest that #5 (Pork Belly “burnt ends” were invented in Texas.) are fightin' words in some barbecuist circles. :biggrin1: I was born and raised in Texas and there were plenty of places in the 60's that made that claim, and still stand by it. Likewise they claimed they were born as scraps (not cubes of points) served as a lunch special, which I buy into a little easier.

So... respectfully, do some research starting with KC legends Harry Perry, Arthur Bryant and Gates Bar-B-Q and you will see what I mean about loyalty to the history of barbecue and to burnt ends aka "brownies".

When I was a little boy, BBQ joints served burnt ends that looked closer to this than the perfect, saucy cubes that are now so popular.... for what it's worth I like both dry and saucy burnt ends.

cd4733e3.jpg

On a road trip yesterday watched as the manure spreaders out in full force were working their trade. It’s always kind of intrigued me how the manure in a feedlot gets loaded on a cool looking truck then BS is spread over fields.

Kind of like claiming to have invented something in BBQ. BS is strong in this world. Sort of like post#1

:laugh: :thumb:

Back