Egg table wanabe

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I picked up this kitchen island for next to nothing today. I'm thinking it's the begining of an egg table for my medium. It's a butcher block top, and the other side has a 6 inch fold up/down extension. The extension is rough and needs about a 1/4 in sanded down(kid carved stars on it). Might just remove one end of the extension. Any idea on how to cut a hole in it? Might wear out my jigsaw.

Attachments

• island.jpg
    island.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 222
I would make a template out of birch plywood or MDF that is a diameter that will fit the egg. Then I would attach the template to the top with double sided carpet tape. I would use a router and a pattern or flush cut bit to cut the final hole through the top. Make several passes to complete the opening. Good luck and keep pics coming.

You friggin' rock with that find!
Mark your location and the then drill some holes around the inside edge of the perimeter and then finish cutting the hole with a sawzall. Finish the inside edge with a grinder and then a rasp file and finish with fine file and sander to smooth the inside edge. Use half round files. The table for my medium has an 18 1/2" hole for the egg.

Heavy duty router and a good bit on a circle cutting jig.

It's still in the truck until I get off work this evening. I've got a router, but what type of bit? The butcher block is a good 2 inches thick. I won't be able to work on it until I get back from MS on the 24th. I need to reinforce the top shelf to be able to hold the wieght of the egg. The legs will get sanded and repainted. It has a small drawer in the middle, but I may have to loose it for the egg to fit. Table is about 4ft long. If I don't think it'll work, it'll be turned into a prep table.

Don't know what they call them but a plunge bit. Moght have to take a few passes adjusting the depth as you go.

I'd use a sawsall. If you use a router, take a few passes. Increase your depth each time. Watch for heat. You don't want to scorch your bit or the top.

I cut the hole, and now need to clean it up. I'll reinforce the shelf and I need to sand down the folding piece on the other side that adds about 6 inches to the table.

Attachments

• IMG_0838.JPG
    IMG_0838.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 131
OK fellas. This is gonna be outdoors. I'm gonna sand the top to get rid of a few gouges. What should I seal it with? The legs will get a good coat of outdoor paint. The shelves might get the same. But what to do with the butcher block?

Ty

Butcherblock..I have used a cook oil, vegetable or olive will do the trick.;)
Put on a few coats. If and when the finish gets dull, slap a little more on.
Jon

I don't really need to retain the surface for food prep. It'll just be the table top.

OK fellas. This is gonna be outdoors. I'm gonna sand the top to get rid of a few gouges. What should I seal it with? The legs will get a good coat of outdoor paint. The shelves might get the same. But what to do with the butcher block?

Ty

This topic has already been hashed out on the site and I think spar varnish won that contest for durability and wood grain retention beauty.

you gonna make that table too purdy, won't want to put anything on it......LOL. T

you gonna make that table too purdy, won't want to put anything on it......LOL. T

Nope, just don't want it to fall apart and drop that med egg.:eek: I need to talk to you about that nifty "hot" plate setter holder on your table.

Back