do you prefer grill marks on a steak?

do you prefer gril marks or full crust on a steak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
with the sca world championship going down my Instagram is being flooded with pictures of steak. many of them look great. most of them have dark grill marks on top of grey meat. I prefer a nice crust, the dark lines often taste scorched and the rest has no color.

of course this is my preference. I'm curious as to what others prefer. feel free to drop an example with your comment.

To directly answer the question no. However I dont care as long as it tastes good. I have had grill marks that looked beautiful, and I have had it burned in a super hot flame which put a crust on it. And for the third option...it is okay, but it isnt a pork chop :icon_devil

grill marks look cool but this works for me
3sXeWAwh.jpg

It doesn't matter if it has grill marks or not. As long as it's not over cooked.

I don't need no stinking grill marks. :heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I voted for grill marks because I don't like a crust on my steak. Just take it back up to body temp.

You should have added an "I like it all" option! Perfect grill marks are fun and require some skill to execute, just like getting a crust in a white hot skillet is or completing a reverse sear. If it's cooked perfectly I'm in!

I’m more of a crust guy on cast iron personally but I know most people expect to see grill marks when I cook steak

Nice crust on the outside, rare on the inside!

Grill marks look cool but I'll take flavor any day.

with the sca world championship going down my Instagram is being flooded with pictures of steak. many of them look great. most of them have dark grill marks on top of grey meat. I prefer a nice crust, the dark lines often taste scorched and the rest has no color.

of course this is my preference. I'm curious as to what others prefer. feel free to drop an example with your comment.

I wouldn't go by SCA steaks too much. While grill marks are not required, they are more common that a seared steak, although a seared steak can score well.

If I am grilling a steak, it will likely have grill marks, but if I am cooking in (or on?) cast iron, it will have a nice crust. The poll doesn't have an option for both, so I didn't vote :-D

Also, if the marks taste scorched, then the grates were likely too hot. I've had this happen a couple of times so I have been using an IR thermometer for SCA cooks (and practice) to hopefully avoid this. With the right temp, the marks don't get scorched and the rest of the steak has a nice color, but albeit not the same as cast iron.

I don't worry about them. I flip steaks more than once, I move them around, and so long as it comes out mid rare I'm happy

I wouldn't go by SCA steaks too much. While grill marks are not required, they are more common that a seared steak, although a seared steak can score well.

If I am grilling a steak, it will likely have grill marks, but if I am cooking in (or on?) cast iron, it will have a nice crust. The poll doesn't have an option for both, so I didn't vote :-D

Also, if the marks taste scorched, then the grates were likely too hot. I've had this happen a couple of times so I have been using an IR thermometer for SCA cooks (and practice) to hopefully avoid this. With the right temp, the marks don't get scorched and the rest of the steak has a nice color, but albeit not the same as cast iron.

I think I worded that poorly. those comp steaks look great, they do have a different color too them almost red, but not pale. I bet they taste great. the pale steaks with thick black lines I see aren't really from competition cooks. I do notice in contrast to the pole results that grill lines seem to get alot of interest, more than a crusty steak, at least thals how I interpret it. I'd be curious to see the same poll but with pictures of each way done properly.

Back