MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:57 PM   #16
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
I hear you. Pretty expensive for brisket even at the sale price but CF briskets have been consistent in quality being well sized, trimmed and marbled compared to Costco. I mean not a big deal if you're not competing but still.

They always overdeliver also, like when I ordered two 11lb brisket and rec'd one at 15lbs and the other at 20lbs. Or when they ran out of tri tip so they threw in an extra one at no cost. Really a good experience with all my orders.
I didn't have good experiences with them. Shorted me meat for a comp and then took a week to get it to me. I was glad I started the process a week early.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:21 PM   #17
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I visited Creekstone Farms a couple of weeks ago. I spoke with some nice people who worked up front.
The previous owner Sun Capital, based in Florida, sold Creekstone Farms to the Marubeni Corp of Japan. The actual "farms" or ranches who raise the animals are located across the U.S..
Creekstone Farms is a packing plant. Semi trucks loaded with cattle were arriving on one end of the plant and freezer units were being loaded on the other side. She did say they process around 1,400 head per day.

She said they do not sell meat at the plant but you can place an order and pick it up in a week. She also gave me the address of a place in Arkansas City that sells their beef. I checked it out. WB Meats, http://www.wbmeats.com/
They were super nice and had a good selection of beef, pork, homemade sausages, bacons, etc.. I highly recommend them if you're through that way.
I was camping but bought some steaks to cook on the tire rim that night..

Not much marbling, but they were tasty.

As for Creekstone beef.... I've only tried their burger, which I didn't like.
I've tried their tri tips, some were just ok and a couple were the best I've ever tasted.
The ribeyes were tender.
For me, the meat I've tried was not better than the Black and Red Angus I get here. Either my own, home grown or my friend's and neighbor's home grown beef. The local butcher carries his home grown Angus too. His, at a much more reasonable price than Creekstone.

I might buy tri tip when it comes on sale again but probably won't pay the higher prices for the burger, steaks or briskets.
Just sharing what I've experienced. Your mileage may and probably will vary.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2018, 12:03 AM   #18
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Nice pics Neighbor! Homegrown most definitely is better. You're lucky. I'd never buy steaks or ground meat unless I can see it in person but their briskets and such have been really good. The tri tips I got from Creekstone were Pasture One grass fed. Really good stuff. They don't often carry the same stuff since they're like you said a packing plant.

Certainly good to hear an experienced experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
I visited Creekstone Farms a couple of weeks ago. I spoke with some nice people who worked up front.
The previous owner Sun Capital, based in Florida, sold Creekstone Farms to the Marubeni Corp of Japan. The actual "farms" or ranches who raise the animals are located across the U.S..
Creekstone Farms is a packing plant. Semi trucks loaded with cattle were arriving on one end of the plant and freezer units were being loaded on the other side. She did say they process around 1,400 head per day.

She said they do not sell meat at the plant but you can place an order and pick it up in a week. She also gave me the address of a place in Arkansas City that sells their beef. I checked it out. WB Meats, http://www.wbmeats.com/
They were super nice and had a good selection of beef, pork, homemade sausages, bacons, etc.. I highly recommend them if you're through that way.
I was camping but bought some steaks to cook on the tire rim that night..

Not much marbling, but they were tasty.

As for Creekstone beef.... I've only tried their burger, which I didn't like.
I've tried their tri tips, some were just ok and a couple were the best I've ever tasted.
The ribeyes were tender.
For me, the meat I've tried was not better than the Black and Red Angus I get here. Either my own, home grown or my friend's and neighbor's home grown beef. The local butcher carries his home grown Angus too. His, at a much more reasonable price than Creekstone.

I might buy tri tip when it comes on sale again but probably won't pay the higher prices for the burger, steaks or briskets.
Just sharing what I've experienced. Your mileage may and probably will vary.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-10-2018, 02:19 AM   #19
Smoke & Bark Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

I’ve cooked ~200 creekstone farms Prime briskets. They are the only briskets we used on the trailer. We buy from a wholesaler and get them a bit cheaper, but they are still expensive, no doubt. They are the best briskets I’ve ever cooked. I’ve cooked many of the costoco primes, and there is certainly a differcne, to me. We initially sourced Creekstone because that is what Franklin uses.
Smoke & Bark Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-10-2018, 09:19 PM   #20
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

I keep reading from people on here that Franklin gets his briskets from creekstone, but I have never read that anywhere else. I have read that Franklin says that there isn't enough cows from his supplier to open another restaurant, so that is why there will only be 1 Franklin BBQ. Where are you guys getting that he buys them from creekstone?

Old 10-11-2018, 02:35 AM   #21
Smoke & Bark Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
I keep reading from people on here that Franklin gets his briskets from creekstone, but I have never read that anywhere else. I have read that Franklin says that there isn't enough cows from his supplier to open another restaurant, so that is why there will only be 1 Franklin BBQ. Where are you guys getting that he buys them from creekstone?
1.) I seen them in his cooler at the restaurant.
2.) The area rep (my area) for Creekstone showed me one of his standing weekly orders.
3.) There are some YouTube videos that you can spot them in if you know what to look for.
Smoke & Bark Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #22
Clasko2
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks to the OP for providing the link. I’ve always been wanting to try Creekstone briskets. I picked up 2 and they were delivered the other day. 1 one the briskets was partially thawed, not much, which isn’t a big deal to me, however it was clear the cryovac pack was damaged and there was air in the package. I’m just curious if it’s still ok? I had planned to thaw them and wet age bot of them, but with this one it doesn’t seem like that would be possible. I’m totally ok with calling an audible and just smoking it this weekend after letting it completely thaw. I have wrapped it in plastic wrap (I don’t have a food save to reseal).

Sorry for the long post! Haha just looking to see if people think it’s ok, or of this has happened to anyone with frozen briskets before. Usually get unfrozen from RD.

Untitled by C Lasko, on Flickr

Clasko2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #23
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Without knowing how the plastic was compromised and for how long, I'd probably just cook it this weekend and not bother wet aging it. In reality it probably happened during shipping and would probably be fine, but if any contaminate got in there it might ruin your wet age.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #24
bgross88
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
I just finished reading his manifesto last week. I'll double check when I get home, but I'm 99.99% positive Franklin states in his book that he uses Creekstone briskets.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #25
akoda
is one Smokin' Farker

I would cook it, I'd never wet age if the cryo was damaged. Mine should be here today and I'll be smoking mine this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clasko2 View Post
Thanks to the OP for providing the link. I’ve always been wanting to try Creekstone briskets. I picked up 2 and they were delivered the other day. 1 one the briskets was partially thawed, not much, which isn’t a big deal to me, however it was clear the cryovac pack was damaged and there was air in the package. I’m just curious if it’s still ok? I had planned to thaw them and wet age bot of them, but with this one it doesn’t seem like that would be possible. I’m totally ok with calling an audible and just smoking it this weekend after letting it completely thaw. I have wrapped it in plastic wrap (I don’t have a food save to reseal).

Sorry for the long post! Haha just looking to see if people think it’s ok, or of this has happened to anyone with frozen briskets before. Usually get unfrozen from RD.

Weber 18
Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Gasser
Superfast Red Thermopen

Old Church, Va
akoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #26
ssv3

I wouldn't worry about Clasko. O e rec'd one or two like that. They get destroyed during delivery. I've had one delivered with the styrofoam cooler broken and package on its side when it CLEARLY states on the box which side has to be up and that it's FRAGILE. If they don't break the styrofoam cooler they would arrive frozen with the dry ice still in tact.

Getting mine today.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 10-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #27
akoda
is one Smokin' Farker

My wife called, mine is here, leaky cryo and it leaked through to the outside box cause the Styrofoam was broken. Not an issue for this one since I plan to smoke this weekend but I like to wet age my briskets and can't when they come like this. This has happened a couple of times before with them, I am not sure what they could do to make it better but maybe at least a higher density cryovac would help
Weber 18
Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Gasser
Superfast Red Thermopen

Old Church, Va

Old 10-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #28
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoda View Post
My wife called, mine is here, leaky cryo and it leaked through to the outside box cause the Styrofoam was broken. Not an issue for this one since I plan to smoke this weekend but I like to wet age my briskets and can't when they come like this. This has happened a couple of times before with them, I am not sure what they could do to make it better but maybe at least a higher density cryovac would help
I think FedEx will manage to still sure it up

https://youtu.be/MgInOtxIkyU
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 10-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #29
Clasko2
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoda View Post
Well, sorry yours came like that, but happy to hear I’m not alone. Hahaha Happy brisket smoking this weekend!
Clasko2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 02:01 PM   #30
akoda
is one Smokin' Farker

Yep, all good. Their briskets are delicious if I don't screw it up
Weber 18
Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Gasser
Superfast Red Thermopen

Old Church, Va