MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:10 AM   #5986
SS13
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Of course, after posting in here how my temps are always good to go and I have no issues, the cooker ran lower than normal yesterday. I was thinking about the discussion on here about counting out briquettes and think I may have gone from 29 right to 40. Not sure. I also sprinkled the hot coals around the outside of the basket and kind of steered clear from the middle. Don't know if that was the difference or not but, regardless, she ran lower than normal yesterday.

13 pound brisket pre-trimming was at ~140 after five hours. Usually, I'm at 165 minimum after five hours. I also did three baby back racks. Took them off after 5 1/2 hours and they weren't completely done yet.

So I had people over as well. I wound up wrapping the ribs in foil and putting them in the oven. Turned out real good so I was able to save the day with some of the guests saying that this was the best I've made. There have been better ones, IMO, but I may have to give this wrapping another try as I've only done ribs on the PBC from start to finish.

No pics of the ribs as serving food 2 hours late doesn't lend itself to taking pictures of said food. The brisket went on at 10:45. Wrapped at around 4. Off the smoker at 8 and held until 10:15. So 11 1/2 hours from hanging to unwrapping.

Best brisket I've made yet and I was freaking out the whole time haha. Of course, everyone was gone by then so I didn't get to share it with everyone but the girlfriend got out of bed after I had her try some of the flat so she could tackle some point. Great for leftovers at work today. Don't know what I did wrong at the outset, but it turned out well in the end.

Looks like the cook was still a success, just not for your guests. I am still relatively new to the PBC, and it's my first quality smoker. However, I have been using a lot, and have noticed more consistent cooks and temps when spreading the hot coals like a blanket over the ones in the basket.

I would expect your ring configuration would cause lower temps since the hot coals are the heat source for the rest, it's a domino effect.

However, I might have to try your method if I am looking for longer, slower, cooks.

-just one dudes thoughts-
SS13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #5987
Deebo
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Deebo

Question for those who use a pizza pan for an ash pan. Do you have issues with the temp dropping after a while? When starting a cook, I follow Andrew's startup method when gives me a consistent temp of 275 once it gets settled in. After about two hours or so, I notice my temps starting to slowly drop. I end up having to crack the lid to get the temps to creep back up and then repeating that every hour or so.

I'm wondering if the pizza pan is affecting air flow since the Pit Barrel ash pan allows for air flow to the bottom of the coal basket but the pizza pan, having the raised outside ring inhibits that air flow to the bottom of the basket. Anybody else experience this? I ordered the Pit Barrel ash pan (should be here Friday) and am interested to see if I notice a difference with my temps staying at 275 longer.
Weber Performer w/ Vortex and Slow-n-Sear
Maverick ET-733
Maverick XR-50
Blue Superfast Thermapen
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #5988
northeast bbqer
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Question for those who use a pizza pan for an ash pan. Do you have issues with the temp dropping after a while? When starting a cook, I follow Andrew's startup method when gives me a consistent temp of 275 once it gets settled in. After about two hours or so, I notice my temps starting to slowly drop. I end up having to crack the lid to get the temps to creep back up and then repeating that every hour or so.

I'm wondering if the pizza pan is affecting air flow since the Pit Barrel ash pan allows for air flow to the bottom of the coal basket but the pizza pan, having the raised outside ring inhibits that air flow to the bottom of the basket. Anybody else experience this? I ordered the Pit Barrel ash pan (should be here Friday) and am interested to see if I notice a difference with my temps staying at 275 longer.
No issues with temps dropping using this cake pan.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=1403
northeast bbqer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #5989
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS13 View Post
Looks like the cook was still a success, just not for your guests. I am still relatively new to the PBC, and it's my first quality smoker. However, I have been using a lot, and have noticed more consistent cooks and temps when spreading the hot coals like a blanket over the ones in the basket.

I would expect your ring configuration would cause lower temps since the hot coals are the heat source for the rest, it's a domino effect.

However, I might have to try your method if I am looking for longer, slower, cooks.

-just one dudes thoughts-
Yeah...when I was dusted on bourbon at the end of the night, I thought I may have counted wrong but I'm leaning towards the placement of the hot coals.

Regardless, this is the best tasting brisket I've pulled off of here yet so no complaints!

Old 04-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #5990
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

You can always hang a second rack below the first (if dripping goodness doesn't bother you). I made some hangers for my original rack and hang it below the fancy hanging grate. Others have done it differently but have a similar arrangement.

Having said that, no man (or woman) should be limited to just one grill/smoker). Diversify!
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #5991
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Hey Andrew! Stumbled across this thread today. Isn't it almost time for the Two Year Anniversary PBC Throwdown!!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...sary+throwdown
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #5992
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Joe View Post
Ugh thats wives/women for ya...thats how it always works for me to. I just tell em its done when its done have another drink!! O and start earlier next time
Lol! At this point I've trained everyone well. "It's done when it's done. Quit whining or leave!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Hanging grate and ash pan. Both are must do. Even with the hanging grate I still run out of space.

I do a lot of cooks with appetizers or salmon and fatties, etc. always out of space.

Today I used the hanging grate and put on a slab of ribs and two fatties. After the ribs were done i pulled the rack and flipped it and put in the abt and boneless skinless breasts. When the abts were done I put on bacon wrapped shrimp. Wish i had room to put on all of it.
Agreed. Hanging grate absolutely a must. You fit way more. These are two cooks just over the past weekend and you can def fit a lot if you get creative.

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #5993
ssv3

Quote:

I was using a cheapo pan from Wally World and now use the PBC ash pan and no difference at all. At times I used to get temps dropping also and I just cracked the lid a little or rotated the FB. I've noticed that it tends to do than when the PBC is packed full with food. Since that I've changed my method of starting the fire. I fill the basket full of coals, take some out and put in the chimney, get it going in the chimney and dump it right in the middle and close the lid, wait for clean smoke and hang the meat. Sort of like minion method.

I think the reason for dropping temps is charcoal not catching evenly and sometimes with bigger cuts (butt, briskets) the drippings put out the fire also. So if you've got nice, even fire going it eliminates any issues.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 04-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #5994
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
You can always hang a second rack below the first (if dripping goodness doesn't bother you). I made some hangers for my original rack and hang it below the fancy hanging grate. Others have done it differently but have a similar arrangement.

Having said that, no man (or woman) should be limited to just one grill/smoker). Diversify!
Absolutely! Old pic below with v1 PBC and some grill aren't in it.

Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 04-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #5995
Deebo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
I was using a cheapo pan from Wally World and now use the PBC ash pan and no difference at all. At times I used to get temps dropping also and I just cracked the lid a little or rotated the FB. I've noticed that it tends to do than when the PBC is packed full with food. Since that I've changed my method of starting the fire. I fill the basket full of coals, take some out and put in the chimney, get it going in the chimney and dump it right in the middle and close the lid, wait for clean smoke and hang the meat. Sort of like minion method.

I think the reason for dropping temps is charcoal not catching evenly and sometimes with bigger cuts (butt, briskets) the drippings put out the fire also. So if you've got nice, even fire going it eliminates any issues.
Interesting. Thanks for the info! I've had the temp drop happen with only a couple racks of ribs going and also with a big ol' brisket going so I don't think the amount of food in it matters a bunch. I'll be doing a pork shoulder this weekend so I'll report back with pics and updates on the temp drop issue.
Maverick ET-733
Maverick XR-50
Blue Superfast Thermapen

Old 04-26-2017, 03:10 PM   #5996
ssv3

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for the info! I've had the temp drop happen with only a couple racks of ribs going and also with a big ol' brisket going so I don't think the amount of food in it matters a bunch. I'll be doing a pork shoulder this weekend so I'll report back with pics and updates on the temp drop issue.
You're welcome and sounds good.

One other thing that came to mind is to make sure the airflow is unobstructed by positioning meats where heat/smoke can rise, baste and escape from the exhausts freely. IMO too many variables from wind, weather, humidity, the cuts you're cooking so I set it up accordingly. At times I even position the intake toward the wind and have great results. It's like forced induction and works very well.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 04-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #5997
HoytFlinger
Knows what a fatty is.

Has anyone tried armadillo eggs in the PBC?

Old 04-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #5998
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

No, but I've done cheese stuffed bacon wrapped meatballs and hundreds ot ABTs.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2017, 02:52 PM   #5999
Deebo
Full Fledged Farker

Brethren, W.....T.....F?!?!?! We let this thread disappear?? We can't have that!! I KNOW there are some good PBC cooks goin on! I can't fire mine up till next weekend so let see some action!
Maverick ET-733
Maverick XR-50
Blue Superfast Thermapen

Old 05-07-2017, 05:25 AM   #6000
man_of_magic
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Brethren, W.....T.....F?!?!?! We let this thread disappear?? We can't have that!! I KNOW there are some good PBC cooks goin on! I can't fire mine up till next weekend so let see some action!
Ok ok did some medeterian style lambshanks yesterday......they rocked!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
man_of_magic is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it