• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Found this. Not sure if an hour is too far.
d6c74e96d62ef9457878c41e25a659fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ninja road trip! I’d go with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this. Not sure if an hour is too far.
d6c74e96d62ef9457878c41e25a659fe.jpg

Ninja road trip! I’d go with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I missed that post Paul, thanks.

and thanks for bumping it justin. I never heard of Rural King but they are a Stihl dealer (inside joke from my traeger thread).

it's a 45 minute drive from my house. that's nothing, I drive all over for work anyway. we can figure something out, it may be a few weeks tho, my surgery is next Monday. either way I'll be making the run eventually for that price. I love a good road trip

+1 on MAK for quality. Great controller, heavy metal body, great customer service, been around a long time.

What about the Assassin 36? Anyone use one of these?

I am looking at the Yoder, Assassin, Blazn, and Pitts. Anyone have thoughts on these?

Read my write up in this thread on page 31 on my Assassin 36”. It has more space then all the ones you listed except the Yoder 1500 and the Pitts and Spitts 2000. After my first cook I love it. There is also an 48” in testing at this time. It is all 11 gauge steel and the lid is insulated . Holds 20 pounds of pellets and has a Digital Control Center Contoller which is what the Blaz’n, Pitts and Louisiana has and several others also. There is a comp team GA that uses them and they have been RCG at their last two GBA events. Based on tasting food off of different pellet grills the Assassin puts much more smoke flavor in the meat in my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. Does the Assassin have an ash pan? If not, which pellet smokers have an ash pan?

What do you mean by ash pan? Like a removable fire pot ash pan?

I know the camp chef has an ash pan. There might be a few others

Anyone know of a "decent" vertical pellet? Not the ones sold at big box stores.

Anyone know of a "decent" vertical pellet? Not the ones sold at big box stores.

Actually the Pit Boss 5.5 cuft vertical is pretty highly rated by the pellet site that I hang out on. If I needed a vertical one, that's what I'd be going for.

Thanks for the review. Does the Assassin have an ash pan? If not, which pellet smokers have an ash pan?
Never heard of one but really easy to build. Doesn't need to be very big. I would cut up a disposable pan to make temporary ones until you get the one that works best.

So I’ve been thinking about a PG and saw a reference to this thread from the portable PG thread...

Took me two days to get through this entire thread but I did it! (yes, I made a vodka lemonade to celebrate)

Looks like I’ve got some brands to research and questions to be asked in this thread...

FARKERS!!!

So I’ve been thinking about a PG and saw a reference to this thread from the portable PG thread...

Took me two days to get through this entire thread but I did it! (yes, I made a vodka lemonade to celebrate)

Looks like I’ve got some brands to research and questions to be asked in this thread...

FARKERS!!!

First world problems [emoji30]

Soooo, whatcha thinkin’?

^^^
another one on the ledge

First world problems [emoji30]

Soooo, whatcha thinkin’?

Y’all are funny...

Rreeeaaalllllll funny!

I’m thinking a GMG Crockett to get our feet wet, then go from there...

It’s my Misses I have to convince...

I’ll screenshot our text from earlier as proof...

But that later, gotta eat now

question.

where is the firepot located in most of your high end pellet cookers?

as you may know I have a pitboss classic. it is not high end but gets the job done. I find it odd that the firepot is in the middle. I feel like it would create a hotspot in an unavoidable location. off to the side and it could give some zones like an offset. I figure it would draft more with a stack opposite the fire. of course the boss has vents along the back, no stack.

question.

where is the firepot located in most of your high end pellet cookers?

as you may know I have a pitboss classic. it is not high end but gets the job done. I find it odd that the firepot is in the middle. I feel like it would create a hotspot in an unavoidable location. off to the side and it could give some zones like an offset. I figure it would draft more with a stack opposite the fire. of course the boss has vents along the back, no stack.

It varies. The cook shacks are on the left side, yoders are left side, mak and Memphis are in the middle. I believe heat distribution has more to do with the heat deflector, grease tray, and exhaust all working together in coordination to create even heat and smoke.

For reference the timberline, mak, and Memphis have central firepot but have 3??? Small vents on the back of the cook chamber to draft and vent smoke. Yoder and cookchack have firepot on the left and an actual smoke stack on the right. So the design just needs to make sense.

I don't have high end but upper middle class I suppose. The fire pot is in the middle and it runs with no hot spot almost 100% left to right and top to bottom. Confirmed several times with electronics and biscuits.

Memphis is in the middle with the exhaust running the entire length left to right at top back of pit. Once it’s warmed up and settled in, temps are within 2-3 degrees side to side and front to back

Yoder is on far left side like an offset cooker. Using the sliding dampener you can tune the temp variation pretty good left to right.

Both can direct grill in slightly different ways, but both are every bit as effective as any searing grill (Weber, ceramics, etc...except for maybe a high end infrared from lynx or a commercial charbroiler)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back