do you prefer grill marks on a steak?

do you prefer gril marks or full crust on a steak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have to admit, I like the grills marks plus full crust look, but that's playing with food fancy stuff. Like fancy sauce. Does anyone want some "fancy sauce"?

I voted full crust. Sear marks might look pretty but IMO they're overcooked while the parts between lack the benefit of the maillard reaction. So griddle/CI pan over grates for me (especially if you get into porkchops or chicken).

Grill "marks" can be appeasing to the eye.I prefer solid,full on sear.The MOST important thing to me is level of doneness.That HAPPYLAND between Rare and Medium Rare.117-119 degrees Fahrenheit,for me,to be exact.

That HAPPYLAND between Rare and Medium Rare.117-119 degrees Fahrenheit,for me,to be exact.

Yeaaaaaah, that ain't between rare and medium rare. In most cases, rare starts at 120°. You're talking a blue steak, brother!

I'm a fan of either. If I'm grilling or trying to make it look pretty for guests or something, they love the grill marks. Lots of people don't understand that crust/sear is desirable, unfortunately.

Here's a filet I did not too long ago on the grill.
c301480aee5dbbb9e74b30e5a15b359e.jpg

------
Check out my BBQ Instagram!
@headforthehillsbbq

luke duke - that looks perfect to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I clicked on the survey I thought "Who in hell doesn't like steak?" :shock: I was pleasantly relieved the last choice is 0. :-D

I feel like grill marks here in there and mainly for aesthetics but mostly I like crust. Especially that Carne Crosta crust. :nod:

Grill marks are for photos. If there is contrast between the marks and spaces, either the marks are over done or the spaces under done, or worse, both.

Given the choice of having portions of the outside perfectly done, or the entire surface perfectly done, why would you chose the first option?

Grill marks are for photos. If there is contrast between the marks and spaces, either the marks are over done or the spaces under done, or worse, both.

Given the choice of having portions of the outside perfectly done, or the entire surface perfectly done, why would you chose the first option?
No crust. Just not my thing. One of the things I like about meat cooked on the grill. I'll start up the grill in sub-freezing weather and rain to avoid a crusty burger.

Back