MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
prodano
On the road to being a farker

Default 2013 Weber Jumbo Joe quality control issues...

Just took a look. The washers are scrapping the bowl slightly and the bracket for the lid holder is very slightly scuffing the lid. Although there are some cosmetic issues that will only get worse with time and use, I forsee several years of use out of mine before rust or damage become an issue.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 03-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #17
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodano View Post
Just took a look. The washers are scrapping the bowl slightly and the bracket for the lid holder is very slightly scuffing the lid. Although there are some cosmetic issues that will only get worse with time and use, I forsee several years of use out of mine before rust or damage become an issue.
Maybe I'm just being too picky, but the chipped porcelain on the sides really bugs me. My washers are dug in so that you can't even move them when the bail is in place as the lid holder. In fact, the damage appears worse than if no washers were used at all. I don't think rust will be an issue for a few years either, I just don't like it that it will start out that way right out of the box. Thanks for checking.
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
mbshop
Babbling Farker

do not accept anything that has "issues", take it back or call weber.
nothing should be out of round nor should anything be getting chipped.
as to the vents, they are stamped out and have a sharpish edge. i suggest folks smooth it out with sandpaper or a file. i have played with several and non had sticking lids or anything else wrong that would cause something to get chipped. i did observe the vent issue and noticed the sharp edges. as to being bolted together, i like that better than the old welding way that always produced rust. plus its easier to replace all the hardware with stainless steel to prevent rusting of the junk weber uses.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #19
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Update:
I spoke to Weber customer service. They had me put the lid and the kettle of the Jumbo Joe on a flat surface and see if it rocked at all. I said it did a small amount and the CS rep said that it shouldn't rock at all. They are sending me out a new bowl and lid which I really appreciate, but I told her that I don't think that is going to solve the other issues, especially the washers gouging the side of the kettle. She told me she would forward my observations to the appropriated dept.

I also went to a Target that had the JJ on display. And guess what? The lid fit even worse than mine and stuck on in any position I tried. The porcelain was also chipped on both sides from the bail handle gouging issue and the top and bottom vents also dug into the lid and kettle. So that is 3 for 3 with the same issues. Something is definitely not right and I hope they really look into it.

As a bonus, I stopped at WalMart too. They had the JJ, but not on display, just in the box. But they also had a few SJ silvers on clearance for $20 so I picked one up to use for my mini WSM. I already have a SJS so now I will have 2 cooking grates to use in the mini. Plus my original SJS has seen better days, so it will be good to have a fresh one to use. The SJ is nice and flat when tested and the riveted vents work just fine with no gouging of the porcelain.

Weber is doing something different with the Jumbo Joe and the quality or quality control is suffering. I am happy that they will send me a new kettle and lid, but the handle bail is going to chip it immediately. I hope some other JJ owners will chime in here too with their experiences.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #20
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i went to my local orchard supply and took a close look at the jj again.
the guys who put it together forgot to install the washers
thus causing the bail to chip the area around the hole.
but as i moved it up and down, i could see exactly what you are talking about.
a lot of force being exerted against the hole and porcelain.
i can see that the angle of the end piece is just to steep/sharp.
i would first decrease that angle so as to prevent the chipping.
i looked at the bail and lid clearance and found the display unit to be
ok with the bail not hitting or chipping the lid. what a cluster on a new product.
weber, wake up !!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #21
vaTim
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I picked up a JJ a month or so ago and had the exact same experience with the porcelain at the lid bale connection point. I did call Weber and while they told me it would not rust they did agree to send a new bowl, as usual their customer service was great. I have not received the new bowl yet to compare, but for me in the end it's probably more cosmetic than anything else as I won't be leaving it outside. It's still not right though especially for a Weber product. In looking at that hole it seems that whatever process they use (punch?) stressed those points enough to weaken the porcelain, I would think they shoot the paint after it's punched/drilled but not sure on that.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #22
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

You should forward a link to this thread to the appropriate people at Weber so they can see that it's not an isolated issue.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #23
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaTim View Post
I picked up a JJ a month or so ago and had the exact same experience with the porcelain at the lid bale connection point. I did call Weber and while they told me it would not rust they did agree to send a new bowl, as usual their customer service was great. I have not received the new bowl yet to compare, but for me in the end it's probably more cosmetic than anything else as I won't be leaving it outside. It's still not right though especially for a Weber product. In looking at that hole it seems that whatever process they use (punch?) stressed those points enough to weaken the porcelain, I would think they shoot the paint after it's punched/drilled but not sure on that.

That's what I have seen on the two I bought and also on display. The washer takes a big chip out of the porcelain. It seems to me that the angle of the lid holder wire is cocking the washers slightly causing them to dig into the side of the kettle. When the lid holder is locked on the bracket, there is a good bit of pressure on the washers. I wonder if you could bend the ends of the bail wire where they enter the kettle to alleviate this? Or maybe that would throw off the geometry of the bail and it wouldn't line up correctly to use as the lid holder?

I know it is a cosmetic defect, but it still bugs me on a new product. It seems like with a bit of design tweaking of the bail wire the problem could be eliminated, but who knows? And I still think it will be prone to rust with the porcelain chipped off. Maybe I am just being to too picky, it's not a Mercedes!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #24
gigantor
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Can someone measure the inside diameter of their Weber Jumbo Joe bowl? I bought a middle section for my 18.5 Masterbuilt kettle but it is too big. The seller says it fits all 18.5 WSM's. I would like to fit this on a 18.5 JJ if possible.
thx
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320835277444...84.m1497.l2649
gigantor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #25
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
Are you putting the lid on wit the vents open or closed? If closed, that may be causing it to stick.
Seriously? I can not imagine a closed vent creating enough of a vacuum to hold the lid on.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #26
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantor View Post
Can someone measure the inside diameter of their Weber Jumbo Joe bowl? I bought a middle section for my 18.5 Masterbuilt kettle but it is too big. The seller says it fits all 18.5 WSM's. I would like to fit this on a 18.5 JJ if possible.
thx
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320835277444...84.m1497.l2649
Mine isn't perfectly round, but the top opening is just under 18" in one spot and just over in another. There is a lip where the cooking grate sits just below the top rim and that is about 17 5/8".

You might want to check this out. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?6070...oQ-WSM-stacker

Also this, but I think he was using the old Jumbo Joe.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=143720

I just found this too. http://www.macsbbqforum.com/f25-proq-bbq-smokers

Last edited by Churrasqueiro Bob; 03-08-2013 at 12:22 AM..

Old 03-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #27
mbshop
Babbling Farker

again, i looked at one at the store and the angle of the wire at the end is to extreme and really puts a bind on the hole and porcelain. i suggest that the angle be decreased before installing. the holes are punched first befor the porcelain is spraued on so thats not the problem..

Old 03-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #28
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

I received my replacement bowl and lid from Weber today. Kudos to Weber for outstanding customer service. I spoke to them Wednesday afternoon and the packages were delivered today, Friday, in MA. They shipped them FedEX overnight! Amazing. And thanks to FedEx for making the delivery here today in 2 feet of snow. I'm ready for spring!

I didn't even open the boxes yet. The deliveryman put them in my garage as I was outside cleaning snow. I am beat. But I am a diehard, after all the snow was cleared, I set my table up in the driveway and fired up the old Smokey Joe and cooked some Tilapia with a tiny bit of Apple for smoke. I also grilled these killer steak fries I get from my local butcher shop and I made a grilled banana for desert.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #29
mbshop
Babbling Farker

for sure don't use it till this issue is solved. i still think its the degree of the angle of the end of the wire/bail that is the issue. my old sj platinum doesn't have this issue.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #30
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

I'm wondering if you could use a pair of vice grips to correct the angle of the wire and then hit up ace hardware and get some fiber washers (I think they are heat resistant) and put them between the bowl and metal washer... might even try a few stacked washers to see if it will isolate the wire bails a little better... totally spit balling here since I haven't been able to play with one, just hate to see you have the same problem with this one!
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote