MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
joehots
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default when it's done, is it really done?

First timer. Did a rack of spare ribs on a Brinkman offset smoker. As I see from various sources, it is not easy to get the the cooking chamber much over 225F, even with everything wide open, added Fireplace sealant and gasket to reduce the leaks, and good load of 100% hard wood charcoal. But I ws able to get it there and hold it for as long as needed.

I used a meat digital thermometer wired to an external monitor. I carefully watched the meat temperature and cooked the ribs to an internal temp of 170F as recommended by the device for pork ribs well done. I had used applewood rub, sprayed periodically with light apple juice, and marinated the last 30 minutes with honey terriyaki. They tasted great!

Question: The meat was still pink. I think I read that that is normal for smoked ribs. Is this true or were the ribs not yet fully cooked?
joehots is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
lavinjj
Got Wood.

Did the meat pull clearly away from the bone? To me that is a realy good indicator its cooked properly.
lavinjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

Once past 145* your pork is good to go per USDA. The rest is all about texture and tenderness. Check out bend test or bite test bellow.

If it was good for you...it was done!
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

With chicken and ribs, color is never reliable as a means of determining whether the meat is done. For ribs, most of us use the bend test, or the toothpick test. For chicken, you need to temp the meat.

Bend Test: With a rack, held by the end, lift the rack, if it bends almost 90 degrees, it is done. If you look at the surface, you will see slight cracking, that is perfect.

Toothpick Test: Poke with a toothpick or thermometer probe, if the point slides in easily, the meat is done.

Visual Test: Not as reliable, but, if you look at the rack, and the bones are extending about 1/4" or so, then the rack is likely done, best to verify with a Bend or Toothpick test

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
smoke ninja

Where to begin........ First off offsets run best on wood splits not charcoal. You will fight to keep good temps and spend a small fortune by using charcoal in a offset, that's why they are called stick burners. Second usda recommends 145 for one second for safe consumption of pork as stayed above. The guidelines have changed, it's not your fathers pig anymore and the pork lobby is strong (the beef guys should take some lessons). Yes the pink color is from the smoke process. Use the search function at the bottom of the page, check out the Q talk road map, or better yet keep posting with ant questions. You'll find even the most common questions are answered as if it was the first time, except the "What's the symbol in the upper left hand corner?" question. The wolves come out to feast for that one.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Bend Test: With a rack, held by the end, lift the rack, if it bends almost 90 degrees, it is done. If you look at the surface, you will see slight cracking, that is perfect.
The bend test is the best test, IMO. Grab one end of a rack with some tongs, and bend it up. Look for some cracks to show up on the underside of the bend when you get to around 90-degrees.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
smoke-q
Found some matches.

Pink is normal in smoked ribs, but I would still follow the advice of some of the above statement too
smoke-q is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->