MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling Lesson Polls

Notices

Food Handling Lesson Polls Poll based lessons. See what misconceptions our general population has regarding food safety and preparation.

View Poll Results: What percent of the population carries Staphylococcus?
10-25 percent 2 8.00%
25-50 percent 8 32.00%
50-75 percent 11 44.00%
None of the above 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2006, 01:50 AM   #1
bbqjoe
Banned

Default Staphylococcus Bacteria *Complete*

Staphylococcus is a bacteria that is found on skin, infected skin, hair, noses and mouths.
This is a toxin producing bacteria.
Which means once food is contaminated by the bacteria, the bacteria then produce toxins.
These toxins cause Diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain, cramps and prostration. Fortunately this toxin is rarely fatal.

Unfortunately, once this toxin has infected food, it cannot be destroyed by heat, cooking, or reheating.

The question is: What percent of the population carries this bacteria?

__________________________________________________ ____________________

The answer is: 50-75%

It appears that almost all of us carry staph.
The only things you can do to prevent contaminating food with staph. Is to NEVER touch your eyes, face or nose when handling food.
If you do, stop and scrub up!
Of course, sneezing and coughing are equally as bad.

Remember, This bacteria produces a toxin that cannot be destroyed by cooking or heating.
There is no way to just look at food and determine if it has been infected by such a bacteria.

Almost invaribly when prepping or cooking, that facial itch or bead of sweat will call for you to attend it.

Hint: Nothing wrong with raising your arm and using the shoulder or shirt sleeve in an emergency.

Last edited by bbqjoe; 05-18-2006 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: answer time
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Crap! I can't get any of these right! Gonna start looking it up before I answer!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
Dakaty
Full Fledged Farker

No Cheating Big Mista!!!!
Dakaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
Arlin_MacRae

A lovely little bug...

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #5
BobberQer
Banned

isnt staph gotten by people who do not carry the stappacoculous??? might need a medical opinion on that one
BobberQer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakaty
No Cheating Big Mista!!!!
Cheating???
I think anything we do to learn more is a good thing

I certainly am learning here.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:26 PM   #7
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Staph is a common normal flora I believe. I would have bet all of us have staph on us. I'd go for D) It's actually 100%. Just my guess.

Normal flora is a stew of bacteria and virus that exists in our bodies all the time. the flora of the mouth, stomach, eye, skin, bladder, etc are all variable, but normal for that area. we don;t get sick from them. But of there is a damaged area, ie a cut, the nromal flora acan penetrate our first defense, the skin, and replicate faster than we can eat them and thus infection is born. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #8
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

The schools now teach a public health technique of sneezing and coughing by doing it into your elbow, bend the arma nd cough or sneeze into the bend of your arm. Sure, occaisionally a loogi left behind, but keeps the food clean. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #9
Arlin_MacRae

Nicely done, Joe. Thanks.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

There are lots of Staphylococcus types and they are not all pathogenic or toxic. They are little round balls that clump together and look like grapes. For example there is Staphylococcus Epidermidis is not pathogenic and is probably present on the skin of every human on earth (100%). That is why it is named Epidermidis. It is part of the normal flora on our skin.

Then there is staphylococcus aureus which is pathogenic and can make you sick with everything from zits to pneumonia. But our bodies can fight these little buggers of pretty efficiently and most infections are localized in the form of puss filled pockets. This is why food handlers are not suppose to have any cuts or rashes on their hands and arms. If S. aureus gets into the blood stream they cause toxic shock that can lead to death. The little guys produce a protein that causes blood cells to pop (hemolytic).

The S. epidermidis cannot cause blood cells to pop and might even be beneficial to our skins health. There are lots of Staphylococcus species but these two are by far the most common. And that is all I remember from my Microbiology classes 35 years ago. Oh ya, I think they are all gram positive. The really bad bacteria are usually gram negative. Lastly, it is easy to kill bacteria. All you have to do is raise their temperature to 250 degrees with 15 pounds of pressure for 15 minutes. Pretty much standard for pressure cookers.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Hold on while i get back in my bubble
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:27 PM   #12
bbqjoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
There are lots of Staphylococcus types and they are not all pathogenic or toxic. They are little round balls that clump together and look like grapes. For example there is Staphylococcus Epidermidis is not pathogenic and is probably present on the skin of every human on earth (100%). That is why it is named Epidermidis. It is part of the normal flora on our skin.

Then there is staphylococcus aureus which is pathogenic and can make you sick with everything from zits to pneumonia. But our bodies can fight these little buggers of pretty efficiently and most infections are localized in the form of puss filled pockets. This is why food handlers are not suppose to have any cuts or rashes on their hands and arms. If S. aureus gets into the blood stream they cause toxic shock that can lead to death. The little guys produce a protein that causes blood cells to pop (hemolytic).

The S. epidermidis cannot cause blood cells to pop and might even be beneficial to our skins health. There are lots of Staphylococcus species but these two are by far the most common. And that is all I remember from my Microbiology classes 35 years ago. Oh ya, I think they are all gram positive. The really bad bacteria are usually gram negative. Lastly, it is easy to kill bacteria. All you have to do is raise their temperature to 250 degrees with 15 pounds of pressure for 15 minutes. Pretty much standard for pressure cookers.
Good stuff there Wayne!
Good input.

But remember, the bad ones produce toxins (poisons) and the poison is not affected by heat.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:03 AM   #13
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

Staphylococcus aureus is not Clostridium botulinum. Death is rare and people usually recover in 24 hours. An old rule of thumb it that if you get the flu for 24 hours or less then it is probably not the flu but S. aureus food poisoning. The toxin is pretty tough but I doubt that it would survive in a pressure cooker at 250 degrees for much longer than 10 minutes. The real secret is to fix your food so that the meat does not sit luke warm for any length of time. I believe that the danger zone is * degrees to * degrees. You need to pass through this range quickly. You must also keep your hands and utensils clean and free of bacteria, and avoid cross contamination.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote