Why did my Thermapen stop?

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Yes, I’ve had it for a few years now and have replaced the batteries a few times. It actually started taking longer and longer to come up. Now it’s not working at all, even with fresh batteries. Are there things inside that need to be cleaned up or something else?

Once upon a time, if you had a ThermaPen of any age that failed, you could send it in for "repairs".
They would not mess with it but send you a new one.

Never hurts to try.

TIM

No product has a 0% failure rate, or an indefinite lifespan. ThermoWorks is a great company. Give them a call, and they'll give you much better advice than you'll find here.

Things break, give them a call and they will most likely sell you a new one at a discount.

Or check back often at their site, lot of times there's a sale going on.

I have one that acts up too. Sometimes I have to open and close it a few times to get to come on. It is the second out of two over the years to do that.

I had my original Thermapen for over 13 years, and it is still working in my Brother-in-Law's care. A couple years ago I upgraded to the new Thermapen 1.

Very happy with their products; I own a large collection of Thermoworks Products, and have gifted a lot of new Thermoworks items away. There has even had random drawings on The BBQ-Brethren and sent Thermapens, Dots, and Dashes as prizes here.

If anyone hasn't tried the Thermoworks Silicone tools, you really should they are awesome. They just recently released a silicone ladle, and a silicone turner spatula, both well made. Follow their website and they have the silicone tools for 40-50% off on the silicone items. They make great gifts.

When I joined this site years ago one of the first recommendations was the original Thermapen. It lasted about 12 years. When it died I did a ceremonial brisket probe and trashed it. I've not replaced it. However I now use a DOT and a Thermapen stick thermometer. Both go on sale quit often. I've gifted many basic DOTS and far as I know they are being used. The only enemies I'm aware of for these instruments are water, dropping and ultra high temperature of the whole unit. As for the silicone-ware. Same, for myself and gifted many. Really nice to have.

Mine is still going with a crack in the screen and the probe bends back further than it should. Gotta be careful inserting it into a large chunk of meat.

But it is the fastest one still. Blue, of course.

I've bought 7-8 tpens over the years for me and as gifts. Only one original failed out of warranty and they told me to send it in for repairs for $25. I shipped it out and could've swore they shipped me out a brand new one like Kapn said.

I'm replacing the batteries in my original (at least 12 years old) for the first time.
Too bad they switched to the AA batteries in newer products because they don't last and can leak and damage a fine tool.

I did not know about the cheap repair program, when mine died after 10 years I just bought a new one... I did wait for a sale!

Back