MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #1
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)
Default A little roadtrip and some BBQ tastings in Tennessee and environs

Robb was doing a bit of house-cleaning and wanted to offload his MAK smoker attachment. Rather than ship it, I thought it would be much more cost-effective to spend a few days and pick it up. The drive to Robb's is a tad over 700 miles, but that is driving direct. We thought we'd sneak up on it from behind, which expanded our trip to just shy of 2500 miles over ten days.

Of course I did some preliminary research, primarily by asking gtr (Greg) for advice on where to go. He kindly provided a list of places to try, of which we took advantage.

First stop though was slightly out of the way in Gordonsville VA. The BBQ Exchange is one of my favorite places, located half an hour north of Charlottesville.

https://www.bbqex.com/

Unfortunately, they have a limited menu due to COVID and only serve take out. We had pork belly and pulled pork. It was excellent as always. We didn't stuff ourselves. Unfortunately, we did not take any pictures.

The second stop was Ridgewood BBQ, and we never would've discovered this if it weren't for Greg: "Bluff City, TN - near Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City - Ridgewood BBQ. Love love love that place - shaved pork bbq and a blue cheese dip that'll make you say 'fark it, I'm just gonna be a fat fark.'"

We showed up around 5:30 and put our name on a list.

There were a lot of people there and we didn't get in until well over an hour wait. We certainly enjoyed the local environment. The place is located off the beaten track in a narrow crevice with barely room for restaurant and narrow road, and there were a lot of friendly locals teasing each other and the staff and anyone else. The wait was quite enjoyable. We struck up a conversation with another couple who happened to live in Maryland, not too far from us. They come down to visit family and always come here to eat. I had the beef bbq and my wife had the pork sandwich. We also ordered the blue-cheese dip with crackers, as suggested by Greg and we began our journey to fat-farkedness.

You can see the blue cheese in the background (upper left of top picture, just a smidge of the dish). The beef was much more smoky than the pork and both were good. This was very different from BBQ I'm used to, not only very smoky, but also chewy, and thin sliced. The pork was not so smoky. What gave it a new dimension was the blue cheese, which we spooned on top. That combination was incredible.

The next day, we spent in Ashville, NC and made a trip to Buxton Hall for our third stop. Unfortunately, they were only open for take out and we ate outside. We started with their version of poutine and had a combo platter with sausage and pork:

We were not disappointed. The poutine was a lot of fun. I'm sorry for the blueness of the food. It really was much more appetizing looking, but the picture was taken in the shade and I'm too lazy to figure out how to do color correction.

We continued our journey to Gatlinburg. Wasn't expecting decent food at all. It was basically a carnival atmosphere and almost settled for a corndog, but made a trip to Calhoun's for stop number 4. I had their ribs, which weren't memorable, but better than a corndog. The best part of the meal were the bacon-wrapped burnt ends. They really weren't burnt ends, but square chunks of tender meat wrapped in bacon and slightly cooked and sauced. They were quite good, but we will make them better.

Next day, we got up bright and early and headed to Lynchburg where we took a tour of Jack Daniel's distillery. There were a few places to eat there, but we saved up because we wanted to be hungry for Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur for stop number 5. I've been a couple times before, but wanted to take my wife. For those who don't know, this is the home of Chris Lilly. I don't know of a restaurant or team that is more celebrated. They actually have used their trophies to cordon off their dining room:

Don't think that is all! There are another half dozen out of the frame on the left! We split a combination platter that consisted of ribs, chicken, and brisket

Chicken has their Alabama white sauce on it. Everything was cooked to perfection. The beans even were the best we've had, small tender, and slightly spicy with jalapenos. Unfortunately, we arrived late in the evening and they were out of pork! We had to come back the next day for lunch at stop number 6 where we had the nachos

and a combo platter of pork and brisket.

The pork was tender without being mushy -- perfect, the brisket was a bit toothsome at lunch, but very flavorful (it was flat, instead of the point we'd had the night before -- I preferred the point, my wife the flat). The nachos had a unique white cheese sauce to pour on top. We continued our trip to Starkville Mississippi where a friend of mine made a wonderful BBQ at his house (BBQ stop 7?).

Next day, we headed north to Tupelo, where we visited the birthplace of The King and visited Johnnie's BBQ (stop 8 ). I believe this is listed as the oldest restaurant in Tupelo and was even a hangout for the future King. Pork platter I had was finely chopped and extremely flavorful. My wife had a burger that she quite enjoyed. They also had a doughburger, which we were curious about but didn't try, maybe next time.

We continued our way to Memphis and ate at Gus's famous friend chicken for dinner. Whenever people ask what BBQ to get in Memphis, the locals all shout, Gus's Fried Chicken! I didn't eat there the time I'd been previous, so figured I'd have to get there this time. It was spicy hot chicken, very good.

Next day we stopped at Cozy Corner (stop 10?) for lunch before heading off to Graceland. I'd been before, but long ago, and had little recollection of the place. We arrived a bit after 11:00 and there were about a dozen people already waiting for their orders. No indoor eating, so we ate in the car. I'd heard rave-reviews about their cornish game hens, so we got one of those to go with a platter of ribs and pulled pork. The pork was good, the ribs were very good, chicken, not so much. The sauce was very thin, a bit sweet, unique and very good. The chicken, however, did not live up to all the hype. It wasn't overly tasty, fairly boring actually, and dried out. It reminded me of the grilled chicken I get at someone's house who is not a very good cook. The sauce was good though, but that was the only redeeming factor.

There are a number of places to try in Memphis and we wanted to try as much as we could. After Graceland, we began our dinner. We began at The Rendezvous (11). I'd eaten there before and had one of the worst meals of my life. I love the restaurant, in the basement of a building, with a lot of eclectic items scattered about, and lots of people drinking and having fun. It was a lively place, but the ribs I'd had the first time were horrible, fast grilled, with seasoning sprinkled on them liberally AFTER they were cooked. It just wasn't good and there are many reviews of the restaurant on these pages giving similar descriptions of them. This time, however, was completely different. We ordered a half rack to share. They were quite different. The ribs were tender and juicy and the seasoning appeared to have been applied before cooking as it was not a dry crust on top. I was expecting to be eating crappy food, but was there for the atmosphere. My wife asked me what I thought afterward and I answered that they were some of the best ribs I've eaten in my life. She agreed. I don't know if they got a new cook or what, but the food has improved drastically from my first visit several years ago. I would now recommend the place. What a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any pictures as I wasn't planning on posting anything.

We continued our way to Central BBQ that evening for stop 12. I'd heard good things about Central from several members. We ordered the ribs, half wet, half dry and a smoked bologna sandwich.

Ribs were boring and dry, possibly an off day. Sandwich was good, but I'm not an expert on bologna sandwiches as this is the first I've had. The pork rinds were fabulous and the onion rings were perfect. We have been looking for good onion rings for years. We can order them, but they usually have little flavor. These were fabulous and the coating was perfect. Strongly recommend!

We finished that night on Beale Street at BB King's for stop 13. We went to listen to some blues and the receptionist at the hotel said she liked their ribs. We gave them a try with hushpuppies:

Ribs were below average and hushpuppies, despite looking good, appeard to have been double fried, not good.

Next day we looped toward Columbia, sneaking up on Robb from behind, where he'd least suspect us. On the way we had to stop and visit Helen's BBQ in Brownsville (stop 14). I'd seen a few videos about her and she's a star! Helen is just as lovely in person as she is in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXM-9eS8ZKQ

No indoor seating, so we ate in the car. We had two absolutely huge and wonderful pulled pork sandwiches and a sausage sandwich (the ribs weren't done yet). The sausage (with coleslaw and BBQ sauce) was the best sausage sandwich either of us have had. I would go back just for that. The sauce was great. I should also add that Helen is every bit as sweet as she is in her videos.

Unfortunately, we ate the sausage before we realized we didn't take a picture.

We finally made our way to Columbia, saw Robb and then headed for Franklin where we again took Greg's advice: "In Franklin - Puckett's! Not a full BBQ menu, but it does have very good BBQ on the menu as well as lots of other things. And pies. And there's a place that makes pies next door." Well the place that makes pies may have moved up the street. Puckett's though, was very solid as you can see in this combo plate.

Those pancakes are corn muffins. We demolished it and took off for a very rainy night in Nashville.

Stop 16 was lunch at Jack's BBQ on Broadway. Sausage was soft and a bit mushy. Overall, the food was ok, but it's not a destination, just a place to eat on Broadway in Nashville.

Wanted to get to Peg leg smokers for dinner, but I was tired and it was raining and I didn't want to get the car, so got take-out at Martin's. The website said they only did take out, but when I arrived, they had a line going out the door and the place was busy:

It looked like a nice place, but unfortunately, I'd already done the pick-up. Ordered pork and ribs (half wet, half dry) and a brisket plate.

The brisket tasted much better than it looked here. It actually was tender and somewhat moist, and good flavor. Essentially, everything was alright, but not great.

Drove home next day and made a final stop (number 18, I believe) at Due South in Christiansburg VA. I had pulled pork and ribs. Ribs were pale, tender and juicy, sauce was a bit sweet and syrupy for my liking, reminded me of apple syrup. Picked up pulled pork to take home and have five sauces to go with it. They're all a bit different (which is good), but none of them really click for me. I know I took a picture, but it isn't on my phone, possibly because there was no data signal in the area. Anyway, here's a picture on the top floor of the Johnny Cash restaurant in Nashville where I had a cup of coffee.

Anyway, I know a lot of people head to Texas and the Carolinas to do BBQ pilgrimage. They can be done in other parts of the country as well. All I can say is that I'm officially a fat fark.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.

Last edited by Gore; 10-26-2020 at 07:22 PM..
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2020, 07:44 AM   #2
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

I love it when you go on trips, Gore. Now I'm really hungry.

Thanks for the great reviews.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-27-2020, 07:48 AM   #3
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:11 AM   #4
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

What a fun post and what an awesome trip... thanks for taking us along! It was a pleasure to meet you and your bride in person :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #5
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Now that is quality posting right there! Thanks so much for putting that up...and making me homesick. Shooting the chit with the folks in line at Ridgewood - what a great way to pass the time. The couple times we've been there the staff were also sweet as can be, and I imagine that hasn't changed.

The first place I saw smoking meats up close was when I worked at the Calhoun's on the river by Neyland Stadium. Not yer more "artisinal" type BBQ, but for a high volume, fun place, it'll do for sure.

Great stuff, Gore - love it!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #6
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

That, my friend, is a BBQ crawl!! Nice stops and reviews. Since you enjoyed yourself so much down south, come back any time. We will always have room for you, even if you decide to stay.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyclaw View Post

Thanks Gary, it's been a while. This is the longest I've gone without making a trip in I don't know how long. Wanted to get in as much in as possible. It was nice to see as many places open and serving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
What a fun post and what an awesome trip... thanks for taking us along! It was a pleasure to meet you and your bride in person :)
It was our pleasure. Your daughters are a treasure! I can't tell you how many times I've thought of them on our drive, so sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Now that is quality posting right there! Thanks so much for putting that up...and making me homesick. Shooting the chit with the folks in line at Ridgewood - what a great way to pass the time. The couple times we've been there the staff were also sweet as can be, and I imagine that hasn't changed.

The first place I saw smoking meats up close was when I worked at the Calhoun's on the river by Neyland Stadium. Not yer more "artisinal" type BBQ, but for a high volume, fun place, it'll do for sure.

Great stuff, Gore - love it!
Ridgewood was definitely special. I tend to look for places that are more unique now and not just good. That was unique. By coincidence, my postdoc had to drive down to Mississippi a few weeks before me and I gave her your recommendations. She absolutely couldn't resist the blue cheese. She loved Ridgewood also and declared herself a fat fark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbrad62 View Post
That, my friend, is a BBQ crawl!! Nice stops and reviews. Since you enjoyed yourself so much down south, come back any time. We will always have room for you, even if you decide to stay.
Be careful what you offer. Part of the reason for extending the trip was to check out a few places for potential retirement in a few years. You could be stuck with me. I know the difference between a Yankee and a damn Yankee -- a damn Yankee comes down south and doesn't leave. I'm from Arizona and my wife is Canadian, so I don't think we qualify, but it probably depends who you ask.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:55 PM   #8
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Wow! Did you need to replace the shocks on your car when you got home?
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #9
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoen View Post
Wow! Did you need to replace the shocks on your car when you got home?
The whole farkin' suspension.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #10
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Great write up, Gore! I was in Nashville a few weeks ago, and really enjoyed it!

Maybe we can join Weight Watchers together?

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:00 PM   #11
gtr

^^^Is weight watchers like when you watch your weight go up? I've been getting a lot of practice, so I think I'd be pretty good at it.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #12
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Great write up, Gore! I was in Nashville a few weeks ago, and really enjoyed it!

Maybe we can join Weight Watchers together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
^^^Is weight watchers like when you watch your weight go up? I've been getting a lot of practice, so I think I'd be pretty good at it.
I hope it's virtual, because I don't think I could fit in one room with anyone else. Heck, I barely fit in the Zoom screen. The last time someone asked, who does the belly button belong to?

Old 10-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #13
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I hope it's virtual, because I don't think I could fit in one room with anyone else. Heck, I barely fit in the Zoom screen. The last time someone asked, who does the belly button belong to?

If there was one place we could have visited on our trip, it would have been Helen's! I loved the video we saw of her on Netflix.

Sounds like her pulled pork sammich lived up to its reputation!
Old 10-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #14
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
If there was one place we could have visited on our trip, it would have been Helen's! I loved the video we saw of her on Netflix.

Sounds like her pulled pork sammich lived up to its reputation!
Not sure if that was the same video I posted above, but she's also in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WYR...&index=11&t=0s

The Sammie was the best we'd had, but the sausage was ... dang, that was good! And dirt cheap too! If I'm ever within 100 miles, I'll be going there for food.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:01 PM   #15
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Not sure if that was the same video I posted above, but she's also in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WYR...&index=11&t=0s

The Sammie was the best we'd had, but the sausage was ... dang, that was good! And dirt cheap too! If I'm ever within 100 miles, I'll be going there for food.
Yes, the vid I saw was the same one you posted earlier. I'll be sure to check out the second one you linked above!

It really seemed her sauce was something special, too, which you confirmed. I also like you get the choice of having the meat on the sammich pulled or chopped.

Do you have a pic of the sausage sammich?