• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The thrill is gone

qnbiker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I love my GMG Daniel Boone and have cooked some awesome food on it. Lately though, I am losing the thrill. It's like cooking in the oven; I don't feel like there's any skill involved. I cooked a killer butt and some short ribs on it last week, but my WSM kept guilting me with those looks. You know, the ones that say, "come over here and cook on a REAL pit!" I said, "stop it or your place on the deck will be forfeited!", but I got the message.

This weekend, I'm cooking butts and chicken and brisket on a 22.5 WSM that my bil has at the lake. The DB may be headed for craigslist.

Your GMG Daniel Boone is just part of the arsenal and I'm sure has it's place. Sounds like a stick burner may be in your future.

I think you just found the difference between Cooking and BBQing...

MY OPINION: The only thing that differentiates the 2 is the ability to manually control fire and smoke for flavor... Take that out of there, and you are no longer BBQing, but following a recipe and cooking.

rb

I disagree with the "cooking vs. BBQing" but, I understand the logic. I also totally get the merit of the original post... I started on a UDS and figured I needed to get into the pellet world so I bought a nice pellet grill. I sold my UDS and for the last 3 years have only had the pellet grill and a Weber kettle. I felt that same longing for the charcoal fire and temp control so I bought me a WSM 22.5''. I love it! It brings me back to why I fell in love with BBQ in the first place. Now, will I ever use my pellet pooper again? Of course I will!! It's an amazing cooker and it puts out an amazing product... and I get to sleep :). Am I happy to be able to switch it up here and there? For sure...

I have a few friends that have their DB's just sitting in the yard taking up space. The only two left I know that have them, one is crippled and the other has multiple young kids.

It’s clear we are all wired differently and/or in different stages of life. Having cooked hundreds and hundreds of meals with sticks and/or charcoal, I have now been cooking with pellets almost exclusively for the past 4 years. Absolutely love it! That’s said, I can’t imagine not having a charcoal grill/smoker in my backyard. Love my 26” kettle for steaks and when I get the charcoal itch. To each their own :)

I go back and forth between my kettle and Mak for this reason. Now I got a griddle. You will regret selling the pellet grill. All you need is to change it up some. Grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side

I am a die hard stick burner.

Buuuuuttt, if it would help, you could "store" your GMG at my place for a while.
I can see where it would come in handy once in a while.

I go back and forth between my kettle and Mak for this reason. Now I got a griddle. You will regret selling the pellet grill. All you need is to change it up some. Grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side

How much can you cook on your ⭐️ General?

Back