MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #31
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Every grill has it's place :)

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #32
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnbiker View Post
OK, just got back from a weekend cooking on a 22.5" WSM with my bil. Butts, chickens, and a brisket. After cooking for months on a pooper, the smoke profile on the WSM seemed very strong. I have rekindled my love for the WSM and will be using mine a lot more, but the weekend also made me glad I have my Daniel Boone. I'm keeping it. I've gotten to like the more subtle smoke profile and will continue using it also. Both are great pits and cook great food, just different. Variety is the spice of life.

I absolutely get it! Having cooked on many charcoal grills/smokers, the pellet cookers are tough to beat, not only for absolute ease but also ‘clean’ results. I’ve said it before, but I have gotten more compliments for the food that comes from my MAK than any other cooker I have ever had. That said, I still love my big Weber kettle for when the charcoal itch hits :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #33
Bucknekked
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry
Default The exciting world of Sous Vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Try the Exciting World of Sous Vide.........
I have a son that has fallen victim to "Sous Vide" voodoo. sigh.
Its a parental failing I'm sure.
Even worse, he bought the stuff from an infomercial on TV.
He was recovering from a surgery and watched too much TV.

Any ideas beyond just cooking good food over fire and smoke and keeping up a good example?
Yoder YS640 Smoker on an [COLOR=DarkOrange]Orange[/COLOR] Competition Cart | Large BGE | Thermopro TP20 Dual Probe [COLOR=darkorange](Orange) [/COLOR] | Thermapen MK4 (in[COLOR=darkorange] ORANGE[/COLOR], what else?) |
Bucknekked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #34
W.I.T.W.A.G?
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

The allure of new smoke is a common one. If you want to try something new you absolutely should. I am in the camp that thinks using a pellet cooker is a lot like using an oven or a fan on a pit. It's easy and requires minimal effort (that's why you buy them), there is certainly a place for them though. When I decided to go from a drum to stick burning I fell in love with bbq all over again, it was wonderful. I really enjoy the process of fire management and how it affects my flavor profiles. Bottom line IMHO is if you're getting bored you either quit, take a break, or try something new. You might surprise yourself

Why Is The Whiskey Always Gone?
[url]http://www.ironsidesmokers.com[/url]
W.I.T.W.A.G? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #35
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBarb View Post
You can control the smoke profile on WSM. I use lump and several apple chunks most of the time. Pretty mellow. The wife doesn't like strong smoke taste.
I do control the smoke profile on the WSM - just a couple of apple chunks for turkey for instance - but it's still different.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #36
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

You are finding more time to man the cooker maybe? I understand what you are saying. It is like any other hobby, when you want to increase your skills. Maybe you need to move to trying new food that is more involved? Maybe you need to sell the pellet grill and buy a stick burner or another type charcoal cooker to make your hobbying more fun?
I saw this logic segeral years ago: I have other cookers. If I want to try a new recipe on the pellet grill, I can get it where I like it, then cook it on my other grills when I am satisfied. But that is just one way to look at it...

Old 04-22-2019, 06:07 PM   #37
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus_bro View Post
I think you just found the difference between Cooking and BBQing...

MY OPINION: The only thing that differentiates the 2 is the ability to manually control fire and smoke for flavor... Take that out of there, and you are no longer BBQing, but following a recipe and cooking.

rb
For me it's the end product that matters and not the method. KCBS doesn't disqualify folks on the basis of their cooking method (e.g. Pellet vs. sticks). Contrary to popular opinion, you certainly screw things up on a pellet cooker. You do have to know what you're doing, and it extends past just following a recipe. We're all more than people who just follow a recipe here.

I cook on this:

and this

these

This thing

with OMG real fire

one of these

yikes a gas grill

Yes, pellet grills can MAKE SOME FIRE TOO

Oh yeah, this lil' dude too

Everything turns out great...maybe not the first time using that particular cooker, but definitely the second time. You gotta get to know your cooker, no matter what that cooker is, and that's not covered in the recipe. That's what separates cooking from BBQ (IMNSHO)
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #38
morningwoodbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Everyone should have 2-3 Styles of cookers and rotate between them.........
This is Written in the BBQ Bylaws. Section 1 paragraph 3..............
My world exactly.
Big MMS gravity fed
Consumer OKJ reverse flow stick burner
18" WSM
22" Weber kettle

Can be as auto or manual, or as quick or slow as needed. Tho I plan on having all 4 going at once this weekend.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #39
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

I have just the place for your Daniel Boone.
There is a space in the basement of our Coachman RV that needs a DB to wrap it's love around.
If it eases the pain, the little DB would off-set a portable gasser and a bag of charcoal.
It's a Win-Win!

Old 04-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #40
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyE View Post
I have just the place for your Daniel Boone.
There is a space in the basement of our Coachman RV that needs a DB to wrap it's love around.
If it eases the pain, the little DB would off-set a portable gasser and a bag of charcoal.
It's a Win-Win!
Come and get it; it's yours. It will be perfect in your RV to...oh, wait, you want the Davey Crockett, the portable GMG pooper. Guess I'll give it to someone else. Sorry.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:09 PM   #41
cookingdude555
Full Fledged Farker

I had the same feeling last week. The GMG Daniel Boone had run its course at my house. The smoke ring on these things are incredible. Smoke flavor was lacking. i still get my best smoked food on the WSMs, and my kamado are my favorite cookers overall. With my auber controller, my charcoal cookers are push button accurate. I listed it on Facebook and had it sold in 1 hour. I talked to the buyer on Facebook today and he’s used it four times in six days since picking it up. He’s loving it. I’m glad. It served me well while I enjoyed it.

Too many cookers ...
cookingdude555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->