~Product Review~ 'Chef's Press' Cooking Weight

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
When it comes to gadgets, I have my fair share and some were definitely gongs. I try not to fall for the flavor-of-the-month kind of things, so when I found the Chef's Press I thought about them for a few days before pulling the trigger. I have an old bacon press, but it traps steam and condensation on the bottom side and when you lift it off, the skillet spatters grease. It's also too heavy for some things, and it's bulky.

Anyways, I purchased four of the Chef Press weights, I opted for the 8 ounce size, and have used them for a few weeks. They definitely get :thumb::thumb:.

These are stainless steel, made in the USA, are roughly 4" X 5", stackable (for more cooking weight or for storage), and the open slots don't allow steam and allow you to check the internal temp during cooking. The handles stay cool in a skillet, and I use my Pigtail when using them on the grill. The manufacturer claims a 20% to 30% reduction in cooking time because of improved contact, and I have noticed a more even doneness, and they do trap a little heat on the upside of things that are cooking.

So far I've used them on burgers, sea scallops, shrimp, bacon, grilled sandwiches, quesadillas, chops and asparagus rafts. The 8 oz weight is not enough to force liquids out of food. Here are some action shots, notice how nicely the bread browns up on the grilled cheese sandwich.... they come out perfect.

nf8sEQx.jpg

dwZGB7i.jpg

UhQ28Gj.jpg

Good review and pics. I’m interested in these now. You mentioned burgers—any issue with the meat squeezing up through the opening? Maybe not heavy enough to have that problem.

nice idea. I have a bacon press and some foil wrapped bricks for the grill.

I bit the bullet and got a few of the 8 oz as well and I gotta say I'm sold. I retired my heavy cast iron presses for now (unless I really need the weight).

I bit the bullet and got a few of the 8 oz as well and I gotta say I'm sold. I retired my heavy cast iron presses for now (unless I really need the weight).

I'm using mine more and more as time goes on, Mrs ~t~ is also using them.

Back