Old exposed wood for stickburner?

HuskerMan

Full Fledged Farker
At what point do you not use aged wood in an offset stickburner? I have access to same cherry but it has been in the elements for about 3 years. The bark has all fallen off and it is discolored but doesn’t seem rotten.

IMO, I prefer wood that's aged at least a year. I think as long as it isn't visibly rotten or feels super light/dry you should be good to go. I've used some oak splits of super dubious age/storage conditions before with no problem.

I personally think that after 2-3 years I don't get as much smoke flavor from it. Even if it's still solid/hard and burns hot it may not be worth the risk of mediocre BBQ...
But that's just me...I have given away wood that was three years old because of that. Others may like it but not me...

If it will catch fire and burn,use it.Some of the best Q I ever cooked was on old,weathered wood.

it might burn faster and I would use it .

Same...itll make heat, just probably not as long, wont coal out as well, but might as well use it.

I had some pretty dry oak and with too much airflow it would flame quite a bit and kick up some soot. As long as I reduced airflow accordingly it worked alright.

Back